Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my wife is graduated and needs to learn English language. She knows it only a little bit (actually very beginner level). Which is the best school in Dubai to learn it? I read that American University of Dubai is one of the best place... How much is the English course fee at AUD? Does anyone know other efficient school, with the relative price?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi. I have some background in English teaching for adults so perhaps I can offer some comments. Much of what you are asking can be found on the internet and with a bit of old fashioned telephoning. I suggest you contact the various language schools and get as much info as possible. But first figure out what it is you/your wife needs to know. I would be considering some of the following aspects but you may have others:

1) methodology - is it student focused meaning is the student encouraged to participate as much as possible. Rather than the teacher standing at the front of the class and simply instructing all through the lesson. Do they use a variety of techniques? Are they trying to improve all of the skills I.e. Listening, reading, speaking and writing?

2) how big is the class size, how big is the room ( to permit small group work), is the seating flexible or set up in fixed rows, do they provide study resources or work from a well recognised text? Visit the school and have a look at the facilities. Does it feel like a nice place to learn, are the staff helpful and supportive? Can you observe part of a lesson, do they offer free introductory classes?

3) is it convenient - timing of the classes, location of the school? How many contact hours are there each week and is there homework? Does the school offer other activities outside of the normal class e.g. Film nights, cooking lessons, walking tours, discussion groups etc that might introduce variety and add some fun?

4) does the school have a good reputation? What sort of qualifications and experience do the staff have? This forum might provide some useful feedback but try to speak to some existing students that have a similar background to your wife e.g culturally, education, age, expectations, reasons for learning.

5) is progress measured and do they offer internationally recognised certificates/qualifications? This might be important if your wife is hoping to use English to gain employment.

6) what is the cost? While this might seem like the most important question it really should be used to gauge how valuable the course might be. Most of us know how hard it is to learn a second, third language. How many people start and discontinue? Are you getting good value for money?

Hope this doesn't seem like a lecture in the obvious. Best of luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.