Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
We are moving in December. Have decided to drive down ,can anyone advise on the speediest route. We will have 2 cats with us and don't want to shilly shally !
Assuming this means using toll roads , advice on this would be helpful too.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hello

Come out of Santander use the motorways and head for Bilbao then Miranda de Ebo then Burgos then Valladolid then Salamanca. Now just keep going on the motorway till you come to The border. At the border just keep following the road till you see the sign for Coimbra.

Fred and i have done this route many many time Fuel up before you cross the border you will find fuel now about 1€ a litre for diesel.

Best of look but why not check it out on Google earth but don't use Google maps if you want to use the Longitude and Latitude setting.

Krystyna

·
Registered
555 Posts
From the ferry port exit go about 1km to get onto the A67 to Palencia then Valladolid - Salamanca - Ciudad Rodrigo - if you are in a non PT vehicle then just past the boarder you need to go into the service station and get your car reg/ credit card set up for the auto tolls - past Guarda towards Viseu and turn off at Mangualde towards Coimbra.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We will be driving our UK car and will need to sort out the tolls. Can you tell me a bit more about that,please.
I looked for info in the forum ,but any posts were old and possibly out of date.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the answers
Strontium mentioned getting car reg/credit card set up for auto tolls , at a service station. Do all service stations do this or do I need a specific one?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thanks for all the answers
Strontium mentioned getting car reg/credit card set up for auto tolls , at a service station. Do all service stations do this or do I need a specific one?
If you are going to cross from ES to PT on the Ciudad Rodrigo road then the first service station after the border will have signs of the type - All Foreign Cars to stop here and register for AutoTolls - here's a map link, the "easytoll/Portagen Electronica" self service booths take your reg and credit card then when you go under a PT "autotoll" your card get debited. Other service stations on this road do NOT have this facility.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@40.6049719,-6.9518668,323m/data=!3m1!1e3

There are other methods available but this is easy and works.

·
Registered
555 Posts
PS... If you want a 10 euro auto toll card to activate via sms then the Galp station on the Castelo Branco motorway was the nearest vendor, but i need to check if it's still doing them.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Hello

Come out of Santander use the motorways and head for Bilbao then Miranda de Ebo then Burgos then Valladolid then Salamanca. Now just keep going on the motorway till you come to The border. At the border just keep following the road till you see the sign for Coimbra.

Fred and i have done this route many many time Fuel up before you cross the border you will find fuel now about 1€ a litre for diesel.

Best of look but why not check it out on Google earth but don't use Google maps if you want to use the Longitude and Latitude setting.

Krystyna
All very good advice but, if only diesel were 1€ litre! We crossed there on 13th and it was around 1.26€.

We travelled from France and the best buy was when we left the main road in Irun and paid 99.9 cents /litre. Happy days if we could fill up at that price every time.

Arabellacatpig - I have sent you a PM.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts