Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like suggestions/tips to help me with my research.

I'm looking for somewhere to live for a year for my OE.

I'm a foodie, love the city, shopping, being a hermit and isolated, but in a city environment, a bit of a die-hard westerner, big fan of pop art, punk, tattoos, music and culture. I'm an author by trade, but also an entrepreneur and designer. A beach would be a bonus. I'm looking for somewhere with a decent nightlife.

I have both British and NZ passports - would consider America if I thought I could get a VISA.

Don't mind learning a new language, but I don't want to live somewhere where noone speaks English. I really don't like scorpions and political danger.

I would like a city where it is cheap to live and cheap real estate.

Based on suggestions I plan to do some research then visit a few places before I live overseas for a year and think about whether I want to move there more permanently.

Long term rental goal is NZ$150-250/wk (about US$100-200) but I understand if $250/wk is the realistic minimum. I could stretch to NZ$300/wk if I am successful with work opportunities.

I enjoyed Hong Kong but it's too expensive.

I enjoyed Europe but Prague is too cold and a lot of places don't have that city feel.

yes English is my only language.

I do have a decent education (degree in creative writing, level 6 diploma in 2d cartooning, and a college certificate in television, theatre and radio - tv major)

I have some friends in the community support roles and I'm looking at breaking in here at home before moving overseas. My ideal situation is to find a publisher next year and if I can't I'll aggressively approach the jobs I may be eligible for. I'd even consider part time line cook if I can get a job offer.

My previous day jobs were web designer and programmer for a school - but I'm trying to get out of programming. And into production. Also I did some data entry, but I don't have enough experience for alot of the data entry jobs out there.

and trying to learn javascript (despite wanting to move on from coding) as a coding gig could support my writing and allow me to not be tied down. I'm seeing a lot of job offers for coding with the option of telecommuting. I'd rather freelance but I think it could still support my writing. This isn't really a change in plans, it's a long term plan. my short term is still to look for a health sector job and get my driver's licence.

·
Administrator
49,424 Posts
As far as Europe is concerned, you may want to wait until after the referendum on June 23rd. But assuming they stay in the EU, you could consider Amsterdam or other cities within the Netherlands.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking of visiting Bali, but I'm pretty sure I can't buy land.
Also considering Austin - Texas, Athens, Tuscany, Berlin and Vietnam.
Any of the above I would need to figure out Visa and more if I stay and want to buy real estate.
My first step is to save up for a world trip covering those countries - biz class flights, trains around Europe and a trans-atlantic cruise to USA. I'm currently freelancing as a writing mentor and learning to drive so I'm better positioned for a support worker job in NZ. But I'm also producing movies, writing manuscripts and learning coding.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I've settled on visiting Bali, Manchester, Athens and Busan - and then take it from there. I might move to Manchester.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As a freelancer you have so much choice. Cheap countries like Thailand may really be the best, but you have to keep in mind, the culture is very different there. People are way more materialistic. Crimes are higher. So are chances to catch STDs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Poland might be cool. Is Estonia a dangerous place to live? I'm also thinking about Nepal.

My current plan is a world trip in 3 bouts:

total $37k:
1)
$3k Bali (21 nights in 4 star hotel)
$6.8k business class return flight to Busan and Bali

2)
$15.2k cruise to Manchester, trains to Berlin, Poland, Copenhagen, Athens (rent 2bdrm apartment $250/wk) + $5k transatlantic to USA cruise

3)
$7k biz class flight to south africa and somehow get to pemba island in Tanzania (underwater hotel)

all I need to do is earn NZ$60k p/a before tax and I'm a workaholic, so that's doable.

Manchester is more practical than Bali as I can't buy land in Bali and I have citizenship in the UK, also Manchester is a stone's throw from Vienna or Paris or Spain or Scandinavia.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live near Malaga, wouldn't say it is good for work (although there are opportunities) but certainly nice to live away from the touristy parts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm now looking at Belize, Alicante or Charleston - South Carolina.
With a definite visit to Bali, Busan, Copenhagen and Vienna.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
plan is to visit Montreal and Belize (via Bali, Busan, Vienna, Berlin, Copenhagen and Alicante - Spain)
would love to settle down in Montreal and have a holiday home in Belize.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Don't you think it would be better to visit those places in alphabetical order? Alicante - Bali - Belize - Berlin - Busan - Copenhagen - Montreal - Vienna just sounds so much more logical and orderly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm considering a move to rural New Jersey - but I'm about 5 years away from this goal because I want to do a cash build of a shipping container tiny home with a budget of NZ$135k including land, build and furnishings.

Planning to visit NJ to suss it out. But first Bali, Osaka, Copenhagen and Andalucia.

As far as green card - I'm growing a business, hope to draw a $10k salary within 2 years, sell manuscripts and freelance as a writing mentor. So I'll be mostly a freelancer but also business owner. I could also try and get a coding job if that would help my application.

I don't know alot about the area. Any advice about health and safety, culture, food, arts, businesses, shopping, social clubs would be appreciated. I'd like to be near a gaming convention so that's one reason I'm thinking New Jersey. Another reason - Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash. Also the food is supposed to be great. I'm also considering Austin, TX.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
No, Andalucia, Bali and Copenhagen first, then New Jersey, then Osaka - keep it in alphabetical order. If you want to visit Austin, either do it between Andalucia and Bali or call it Texas and do it at the end. Important!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
at the risk of more mocking, and after alot of thinking and research...

I've decided to visit Asia and Bali, EU again, and then try to think about settling in USA. With plans to buy an apartment in Osaka.

·
Banned
9 Posts
there isnt a more creative foodie city on the planet than New Orleans. The problem you have is the best lifestyle places are different from the best work places. Have spent much time both in Belize and looking at it. While the people are really friendly it isnt particularly great for foodies and creative stuff is mostly about tourist trinkets, very difficult to make a living in a third world country.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think before anyone decides to live or work abroad he/she needs to visit the country a couple of time in order to get a feel of what the country can offer. Some of my friends like to work in South Korea, Thailand, Singapore and Cambodia.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts