Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm moving out to Dubai tomorrow tomorrow and just wondered whats the best way to exchange my money until i get myself a job sorted. Would it be best to exchange here in the UK? Or take sterling and exchange at the airport?

Thanks for your advice,

Nick

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
DO NOT exchange at the airport.
Either do it in the UK or in UAE. I can't say which rates are better, but lots of currency houses in UAE where you can walk in and exchange.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You will more than likely get stung on cash handling fees. Although we can't guess what bank and account you hold, so ask your bank what the charges are for overseas withdrawals.

Then do some research yourself on exchange rates (we know you have the internet!) through other companies, compare the two and make your own mind up.

I found it cheaper to book money online through Travelex and pick it up at the airport desk and brought lots because the bank's cash handling fees and poor exchange rates would have cost us hundreds when you're setting up a whole new life. Still had to take money out of the ATM and the fees were ridonculous.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
with my HSBC debit card from UAE I get the best exchange rates possible when using overseas (very close to the rates which you see on oanda.com etc). They just charge 20 Dhs per transaction. I did a bit of research online, and for a number of countries using an international card for ATM withdrawals usually gives the best rate. Obviously the bank's charges on such withdrawals is the key

I also use my credit cards internationally, and it is usually exchange rate + 4% which I am okay with.

Depending on the amount, you can just bring cash or travellers' cheques. But again, let me repeat myself, DO NOT take your GBP to a money exchange at the airport and convert - the rates will be really poor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi ,
Só which agent You Ended up with ?
I'm more or less on the same spot , will arrive Tuesday and need to pay one month of hotel apartment and get a SIM card . Better to get out of the airport and change somewhere else on the way to the hotel?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts