Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got any advice on the best Melbourne suburbs for family with young children (pre-school) to live? Ideally looking for an area within easy (40/45 mins max) commute from CBD with nice green areas/parks and cafes/shops within reasonable walking distance. Been contemplating Newport on west or Glen Iris area on east so far.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Reactions: Fi_G

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone got any advice on the best Melbourne suburbs for family with young children (pre-school) to live? Ideally looking for an area within easy (40/45 mins max) commute from CBD with nice green areas/parks and cafes/shops within reasonable walking distance. Been contemplating Newport on west or Glen Iris area on east so far.
Anywhere in the Western Suburbs is a bit lower socioeconomic so its a bit more dangerous. North, East, and South of CBD are nice areas.

Look into Essendon. North of CBD. Also South Yarra is very nice. Has all those things you want within walking distance. Its an expensive suburbs though, but it would be my first pick.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Opening this thread to find best suburb in Melbourne

Opening this thread to find best suburb in Melbourne to live.
We are moving in a month to Melbourne and struggling to find the best suburb to live in. We have been doing quite a bit of research on that but it would be more helpful and realistic if we can have input from the members who are already in Melbourne!!!!! I believe this post would be helpful for all who are moving soon. The main points we are considering (in fact every family would) are
1. Safety (safe suburb)
2. Kids friendly (with parks and open areas around)
3. Convenient (with marts and eatery around)
4. Of course, schools and kinder
5. Distance to main CBD.
6. Nice neighborhoods
7. Pocket friendly
8. Transport (trains)

We intent to rent a 2 bedroom with a budget not exceeding more than 350 per week max. We have shortlisted these few suburbs Prahran, Malvern and Hawthorn, Reservoir which we don’t know exactly from the point of view of neighborhoods and safety.Our priority would be safe suburb, transport and with parks and schools.

Guys, your input would be really helpful to us and everyone who’s moving!!!
Thank you .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

Malvern, Prahran and Hawthorn are good areas in general. You can filter information on the suburbs in this site:

SuburbFinder

Obviously the best located and suburbs are also the more expensive so you have to do a compromise based on your needs.

Good luck and welcome to Melbourne.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We went through the same thing not long ago, and had similar criteria. I used a couple of sites to see school ratings and house prices (https://bettereducation.com.au/results/vce.aspx & https://www.reiv.com.au/property-data/median-prices/median-house-prices); though we're renting, I wanted to move into a neighbourhood in which I could afford to buy if things worked out.

We ended up choosing Glen Iris, and moved in a couple weeks ago. We're very happy with the choice. Our house is a five minute walk to the train, and a 15 minute walk to Glen Iris Primary and Kinder that my kids attend, and the Monash Highway is nearby. There are parks and trails, and the people have been extremely friendly.

Good luck with your decisions/move. Post or PM me if you have other questions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We moved into a rented house in Glen Iris a couple weeks ago. We're very happy so far.

Lots of parks and paths. Close to the train and highway. My kids attend Glen Iris Primary and Kinder, and love it. And the people have been extremely friendly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A lot depends on your budget primarily. Areas like Glen Iris, Glen Eira, Caulfield, Malvern and Hawthorn on the East are good. Essendon up north is also good, well connected to CBD and close to the airport. Hope this helps.

regards
ROH

·
Registered
6 Posts
I clicked on the link but unable to view anything. The page stays blank. :(

·
Registered
256 Posts
We are a family of three - a couple with 4-year-old daughter and want to rent a place.
Do you guys recommend renting a house or an apartment?
Western Suburbs are cheaper in comparison to eastern suburbs from a finance point of view. You need to prioritize on what you need (eg. closer to CBD, good schools for your kid, closer to your workplace etc) and decide on the location.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Reactions: Mikail_Zubair

·
Registered
256 Posts
Can anyone advise me what should be the reasonable rent per week for the 2-bedroom furnished unit in south-east suburbs?

Normally how much percentage do you spend on rent?
You can furnish the place at a small cost. 2 Bhk place should be available for ~ $ 1600 +/- $ 100.

% depends on how much you earn and how much your willing to spend on rent.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have many Indian and Pakistani friends living there. Why do you think they prefer this suburb among other ones?
Crime Stats are higher in this suburb. You can google to find the crime stats for Fawkner. Not sure why Indian and Pakistani people live in Fawkner. Dandenong is another suburb where i have seen a lot of junkies, bikies and has a higher crime stat, however lot of Indians and Pakistanis live here too. :confused:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.