Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which European city would you spend 18 months if you had the chance to do so? Why?

Restrictions: must be near an large(ish) airport
The city cannot be: London, Paris, Rome, or Berlin...

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
There are so many choices. Simply going with major airports you've got (in no particular order) Milan, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Zurich, Madrid, maybe Brussels, maybe Vienna....

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
By European do you mean EU member states or everywhere in Europe?

Not that it matters I suppose.

My choices, Tallin, Athens, Heraklion, Stockholm, Dublin, Helsinki and maybe Amsterdam.
Not Brussels.

Why?
Well for me it would be more about what the countries have to offer more than the city itself. I guess it depends on what your reasoning is but for 18 months you would get to experience summer/winter and would have the whole country at your disposal.
Amsterdam might be the one exception to that though, it's an absolutely lovely city and I could think of worse places to live in if you had too.

·
Administrator
50,847 Posts
My first question would be: what languages do you speak?

Eighteen months is a LONG time to play tourist and you can't really get the feel for a place if you don't have some level of the local language.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Conversely, 18 months is an excellent time frame to get the feel for a language.
The world would be a boring place if we all just lived within our comfort zones.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Like I said it's more to do with the rest of the country than the city itself although the city from the short amount of time I spent there is very nice too. If I had a choice I wouldn't want to live in the bounds of a city center but that's just me.
They are English speaking too so that is a bonus but you do have to get your ear in.
Again it depends on what is important to you and why you would be moving in the first place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts