Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I've seen a few posts about opening banking accounts in England once one arrives. Has anyone had success with debit cards that are loadable. My fiancé has a Caxton card that he uses abroad. I'm unable to apply for a Caxton card as I am not permanently in the UK.
Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,188 Posts
If you're going to be living in London for even part of the time, you could try opening up an account with Metro Bank... they're a fairly new bank (established in 2010 as the first "new" bank to open in the UK in >100 years), open 362 days per year (i.e. unlike North American and UK banks, they're open on Sundays but closed to observe New Year's Day, Easter Sunday and Christmas Day)... perhaps you and your fiancé can open up a joint account when you get here.

Their ATM cards also doubles as a MasterCard debt card, which you can use whilst overseas where ever MasterCard is accepted... the ATM machine(s) that you use may charge you (as is common with many banks across Canada and the USA), but Metro Bank doesn't ding you for using the card overseas.

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Another financial institute with commission-free foreign debit card use is Norwich and Peterborough Building Society with their Gold Classic Account:
Current Accounts | Bank Accounts | Norwich and Peterborough Building Society
They have good internet banking.
You can open their account no matter where you live in UK, whereas with Metro Bank you can only open by going into one of their branches in and around London.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.