Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people,

New to this board. I am moving to Australia in January to start a new life. Been trying to find the lowest price for shipping to Australia 3 rooms + my vintage 71 Corvette Stingray.

So far the quotes I have recieved are very high.

Any place where I can compare shipping quotes amongst reputable companies?

Thanks for the input.
Ronen

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there Ronen,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry I can't help on the shipping question you have as we moved from England.

I can't recollect that someone from the US has shipped over their car....it's quite a palava going through that process. Mind you, can sort of understand why you would consider it with the type of car you've got!! :lol:

I guess you've checked out the customs website on the rules and regs?

Hope someone can help you and suggest some companies for you.

Dolly

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Ronen,

Make sure you know the rules for getting the Corvette on the road in the State you are moving to. Just because a car is allowed in doesn't mean that it's allowed on the road.

We brought over our 1972 Ford Mustang from the UK to Australia and had to jump through hoops to get it allowed on the road - South Australia is very strict about historical registrations in that the car has to be completely original even down to paint colour. However to put it on a normal registration meant having to convert it from left hand drive to right hand drive which would cost money.

In the end we got the colour approved but still haven't made the rest of the changes to the exhaust to get it on the road.

If there's a corvette car owners club in the state you're moving to try contacting them to see what's required in that state to get the car on the road. Our local vintage and veteran car club were the ones who gave us the best advice.

Hope the state that you're moving to isn't as strict.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
6 Posts
Shipping to Australia

Curious,

How high of a quote have you recieved? Did the shipping company send someone to check out what you are moving.

Dont give up on that sweet vette!!!!!

Randall
shipping2australia

Hi Ronen,

Make sure you know the rules for getting the Corvette on the road in the State you are moving to. Just because a car is allowed in doesn't mean that it's allowed on the road.

We brought over our 1972 Ford Mustang from the UK to Australia and had to jump through hoops to get it allowed on the road - South Australia is very strict about historical registrations in that the car has to be completely original even down to paint colour. However to put it on a normal registration meant having to convert it from left hand drive to right hand drive which would cost money.

In the end we got the colour approved but still haven't made the rest of the changes to the exhaust to get it on the road.

If there's a corvette car owners club in the state you're moving to try contacting them to see what's required in that state to get the car on the road. Our local vintage and veteran car club were the ones who gave us the best advice.

Hope the state that you're moving to isn't as strict.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Dont give up on that sweet vette!!!!!

Randall
shipping2australia
I think if we had known all the hoops we would have to jump through before getting our Mustang on the road we wouldn't have brought it with us. The shipping would certainly have been a lot cheaper since we had to have a 40ft container since the car and our stuff certainly couldn't fit in a 20ft container.

Maybe when it's back on the road it'll seem worthwhile :D

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
72 Posts
Check out movingscam.com for shipping from the States. There's an international section with some reviews of companies that seems pretty helpful. If you can't find a company you have a quote from on there, they'll help you weed through the quotes and tell you what you might be missing/need to ask. I'm using a freight forwarder since I'm only shipping about 100cf but I did look at using a moving company there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts