Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have often said that Tours in one of the best cities in France. Why ? Because for me is a little Paris. It is like a 'quartier' of Paris without the stress.

So which French city do you like / think is the best and why ?

Paris, Lyon, Bordeaux, Toulouse...Besançon...Amboise !!!!

P.S please no arguing on this thread.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
....and why not?...... Do you have some sort of Papal infallibility?

I'm not sure about my favourite city....Rouen or Montpellier, but I've not enough real experience. You have to live in a place for at least 6 months, or visit MANY time to draw a good conclusion.

I'd vote for the WORST city in France.....Perpignan would get my vote, it seems to be impoverished on any scale you chose.

DejW

...snip...

Paris, Lyon, Bordeaux, Toulouse...Besançon...Amboise !!!!

P.S please no arguing on this thread.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
In the south they have an excellent dish called cassoulet...based on what the English would call baked beans.

so... a notice at the salle de fêtes.....fête de cassoulet at 20h00, and afterwards the orchestra.

DejW

·
Administrator
50,441 Posts
I've seen articles that claim that France has no real "cities" other than Paris. Never mind that the French word "ville" applies to Paris as well as nearly every other little burg and hamlet in the country. France is said to have well over 30,000 "villes" (or maybe it's 35,000 "villes"). In any event, there are lots of choices here.

Even INSEE definitions count any place with more than 2000 inhabitants as a "ville" with the additional proviso that the homes must be located less than 200 m apart.

And to the Soisson issue, Soisson may have their own beans, while Etampes has their own variety of pumpkins, while Arpajon has an annual bean festival, for no apparent reason. None of these villes gets my vote for "best city in France" however.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
I like Paris Arr 5, 11, 10 19, 18 with probably 5 and 18 being the most liked.
I like (in no particular order) Amiens, Lille, Beauvais, Arras , Givet, Naours, Boulogne; Least liked Quimper and Douarnenez.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Haven't made up my mind, and there are still very many villes that I have yet to visit. So do you mean to visit or to live, Smeg? If you mean to live, then the choice would inevitably involve lots of different factors, depending on the individual.

Although I do have a particular liking for Aix en Provence. Then again, there are towns in the Vosges and Alsace that I love too (though they're certainly not for everyone).

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I definitely haven't been to enough to give a solid answer, but right now, I really love Perros-Guirec lol. Perros-Guirec for the winnnn. If I were to buy a retirement home or something (I'm too young now but just sayin) that's where I'd get one. Something about it I just love

(it might not even count as a city, it's a seaside town. But it does have a cathedral! Maybe even more than one, not sure what counts as full blown cathedral vs church)

If we're talking about bigger, "real" cities, so far I'm still partial to Paris. But again, I haven't been to enough to really give a fair answer, I guess.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I definitely haven't been to enough to give a solid answer, but right now, I really love Perros-Guirec lol. Perros-Guirec for the winnnn. If I were to buy a retirement home or something (I'm too young now but just sayin) that's where I'd get one. Something about it I just love

(it might not even count as a city, it's a seaside town. But it does have a cathedral! Maybe even more than one, not sure what counts as full blown cathedral vs church)

If we're talking about bigger, "real" cities, so far I'm still partial to Paris. But again, I haven't been to enough to really give a fair answer, I guess.
Well, we need to get back to an earlier question that was posted - 'what constitutes a city in France?' AFAIK cathedrals are irrelevant here, although that's considered a/the criterion in the UK. Even Paris is referred to as a grande ville. I guess you would also definitely include Lyon and Marseille - I think they would definitely be the 3 major ones. Which on this list would you consider to be cities? https://lespoir.jimdo.com/2015/03/05/classement-des-plus-grandes-villes-de-france-source-insee/

·
Banned
99 Posts

My home town in the UK was twinned with Perron-Guirec. I sailed there many times and took part in civic receptions and the like. It was OK but not a patch on the nearby Treguier.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Sète.
I love the docksides, fishing boats, yachts and wine tankers, Mont St Clair, smell of seaweed off the étang de Thau, oyster beds, the shadow of Georges Brassens, public baths, swivelling bridges, canals, one way roads, arab tea shops, the caves under the corniche, endless beaches, the wind carrying the noise of passing trains, the lighthouse; it's Marseille in a nutshell.
Watch out for the tielles!

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Well, we need to get back to an earlier question that was posted - 'what constitutes a city in France?' AFAIK cathedrals are irrelevant here, although that's considered a/the criterion in the UK. Even Paris is referred to as a grande ville. I guess you would also definitely include Lyon and Marseille - I think they would definitely be the 3 major ones. Which on this list would you consider to be cities? https://lespoir.jimdo.com/2015/03/05/classement-des-plus-grandes-villes-de-france-source-insee/
Does it matter? Why not get back to the original question: "So which French city do you like / think is the best and why "

It doesn't matter whether it meets any particular person's definition of a city. Why do some people (they know who they are!) have to be so pedantic and spoil what was a pleasant friendly thread?

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Does it matter? Why not get back to the original question: "So which French city do you like / think is the best and why "

It doesn't matter whether it meets any particular person's definition of a city. Why do some people (they know who they are!) have to be so pedantic and spoil what was a pleasant friendly thread?
But what is a city in France???? Or are we just going to include all towns? I'm not trying to be pedantic. Frankly, if you want to include anywhere/everywhere, then I'll go for L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue - touristy but I love it and the area.

Happy now?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts