Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just a quick one,

What is the best bank account to open in Oz from Ireland, we fly out on the 1st April and wanted to move cash into a new Oz bank account.

I am taking a few months off to travel so we will not be putting salary etc into the account until we settle down. What is the best account to open and one that will not charge me for not putting in a set amount each month.

Thanks
Smelf1

·
Registered
26 Posts
smelf1 said:
Hi all,

Just a quick one,

What is the best bank account to open in Oz from Ireland, we fly out on the 1st April and wanted to move cash into a new Oz bank account.

I am taking a few months off to travel so we will not be putting salary etc into the account until we settle down. What is the best account to open and one that will not charge me for not putting in a set amount each month.

Thanks
Smelf1
Hi, sorry for hijacking your thread but I am also moving to Oz, Darwin in June and would like to open a first time account. I am unsure of which bank to go with and what account to ask for. I suppose a straight forward current account would do.
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
They all seem to have different fee structures and minimums on either deposits or balances to qualify for the free accounts. My wife is a full time student so we opened an account with Commonwealth Bank and so far there have been no surprise charges. Suncorp Bank seems to have the lowest exchange fees for converting foreign currency. When you get here check out the details at a couple different banks to make sure the services you use most aren't going to rack up charges. Setting the accounts up is pretty standard, you will need multiple points of ID. Passport, foreign drivers license, other credit cards or bank cards. Many of your traditional banking services can be performed online or with your phone.

Cheers,

Joe

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'd recommend staying well away from the "big four" as they're referred to...
Westpac
Commonwealth
ANZ
NAB

The Bank of Queensland is a good bank...and they're Australia wide. Each branch is OWNED by the Manager/s so you get personal service, and you're not charged for going into the branch (unlike the big four banks...visiting a branch and having 'service' actually incurs a fee)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Kimii,

Thanks for the reply, i will be transfering a chunk of cash while in Ireland and once i land in Oz i will be starting in Sydney and moving about.

I have heard about hidden charges in regards to ATM machines and banks, is this true?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Kimii,

Thanks for the reply, i will be transfering a chunk of cash while in Ireland and once i land in Oz i will be starting in Sydney and moving about.

I have heard about hidden charges in regards to ATM machines and banks, is this true?
Yes that is true actually...banks like Bank of Queensland and Bendigo Bank have accounts where you pay $5 a month 'flat fee' for all withdrawals etc...the only other charge you incur is generally using a "non bank" ATM...so if you have a Bendigo Bank account and use a Westpac ATM you are charged $2 per transaction. EFT (using the machines at a supermarket cashier) don't incur such charges and you can usually withdraw cash from them...I used to 'avoid' charges by always withdrawing a couple hundred dollars even when I was only spending $50 or $60 in a supermarket!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Anybody seeking advice on banks to open an account with, if has chosen a bank, could you please share your feedback...

Thanks!
Happ!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Anybody seeking advice on banks to open an account with, if has chosen a bank, could you please share your feedback...

Thanks!
Happ!
I have opened a migrant account with NAB. I have fixed an appointment with them after I reach there to get the account activated and get my cards etc.

The response by email from them has been always quite quick. I hope they don't charge me for visiting the bank as someone has posted earlier.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have opened a migrant account with NAB. I have fixed an appointment with them after I reach there to get the account activated and get my cards etc.

The response by email from them has been always quite quick. I hope they don't charge me for visiting the bank as someone has posted earlier.
NAB does not charge anything - not even if you dont deposit anything into your account for some months unlike Westpac (im not sure about Combank and ANZ). They dont charge you for visiting the branch either - I have visited the branch a no of times and was never charged.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Cool.. Have you already transferred the funds?? how did that work out? charged for it?

Happ!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Cool.. Have you already transferred the funds?? how did that work out? charged for it?

Happ!
I did the transfer through a local forex agent. He transferred money directly from his account in Australia (probably he has a tie-up with someone in Oz) into my NAB account. He took INR from me. Took a little more than what was showing up on xe.com.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hmm... so you wouldnt be charged anything at NAB for transferring the amount..?? Thats is okay i guess..

Am going through there migrant bank account page and I might have some more questions for you :D

Thanks for helping out!
Happ!

I did the transfer through a local forex agent. He transferred money directly from his account in Australia (probably he has a tie-up with someone in Oz) into my NAB account. He took INR from me. Took a little more than what was showing up on xe.com.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quick question: Did you open a NAB classic banking account??

·
Registered
630 Posts
I haven't opened a bank account yet, I'm a strong believer of smaller community based banks, rather than mega banks, but so far i guess NAB is the best choice for new immigrants, having been rated the safest bank in australia and one of the safest banks in the world. So they are not exposed to many bad international debts. Plus they have packages designed to immigrants, for example you can open an account while you are overseas!

Maybe once i'm there i'll be able to learn more about smaller community banks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
NAB online application

I tried opening a bank account with NAB using their online application. I do not have Australian phone number or address. And these are mandatory fields in the application. Please suggest, if there is some way to file the application with Overseas details.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I tried opening a bank account with NAB using their online application. I do not have Australian phone number or address. And these are mandatory fields in the application. Please suggest, if there is some way to file the application with Overseas details.
Use this link on NAB.

Moving to Australia - NAB

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello all,
I checked the fees and charges on NAB website. I was surprised to see that they charge for even ATM withdrawals.
Which bank should I open an account in where I do not have to pay these minimum balances charges and charges for every petty transaction like withdrawal from the ATM?

Thanks
Anmol

·
Registered
177 Posts
What charges did you look at?? can you post the link??

Hello all,
I checked the fees and charges on NAB website. I was surprised to see that they charge for even ATM withdrawals.
Which bank should I open an account in where I do not have to pay these minimum balances charges and charges for every petty transaction like withdrawal from the ATM?

Thanks
Anmol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.