Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I also would l'île to Knowles which are the best cities or large villages to work and live in France primarily between the following départements:

Rhône Alpes
Midi pyrène
Pays de la Loire
Languedoc Roussillon

Pas il a single mother now so would like to be work live close to my sons school, would consider buying if priced well and not in the middle of nowhere, which is kind of where I live now.

Bisous

·
Administrator
50,364 Posts
Wow, welcome back! It has been a while since you're posted here on the boards. I've moved you into a thread of your own as I'm not sure you would have gotten the information you want in (yet another) thread on Languedoc.

Basically, I suspect that the "best" place to live is going to be near where you can find employment in your field. Any large town with ample job opportunities is likely to be surrounded by smaller towns with the type of lifestyle you'll want for raising a child.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T'y vert much Bev. Im on a différent chapter of my Life now. Recently widowed, trying to move on with my Life.

Bisous

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Hi!
I would advise you to live in Toulouse! It's not too big, not too small, quiet and people are really nice here!
I confirm that people are nice, as for quiet and not too big....not sure I agree. I now live outside Toulouse and find life quieter than in the town itself.

Bordeaux is a lovely city where I feel safer than in Toulouse, so I would look at both.

I have two grandchildren growing up in Toulouse and two in Bordeaux and I definitely prefer Bordeaux.

I see that Aquitaine did not appear on your list of choices of where you would like to live, but if it is possible for you, I recommend it!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you don't say how old your son is , but montpellier would tick all the boxes for me if I had children

My son is 4 and a half years old.
I like to live in a place not too big not too small and with some anglophones because I make friends easier. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, welcome back! It has been a while since you're posted here on the boards. I've moved you into a thread of your own as I'm not sure you would have gotten the information you want in (yet another) thread on Languedoc.

Basically, I suspect that the "best" place to live is going to be near where you can find employment in your field. Any large town with ample job opportunities is likely to be surrounded by smaller towns with the type of lifestyle you'll want for raising a child.
Cheers,
Bev

Thank you Bev,
Could you tell me if you know of any sites where there are American Expat groups who meet in the Poitou-Charente region?

Thanks in advance.
xoxoxo

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I confirm that people are nice, as for quiet and not too big....not sure I agree. I now live outside Toulouse and find life quieter than in the town itself.

Bordeaux is a lovely city where I feel safer than in Toulouse, so I would look at both.

I have two grandchildren growing up in Toulouse and two in Bordeaux and I definitely prefer Bordeaux.

I see that Aquitaine did not appear on your list of choices of where you would like to live, but if it is possible for you, I recommend it!

YEs but I have a budget and I would like to have a garden or at least some land to put my vegetable beds. I would love to live in Bordeaux region on the outskirts but it is out of reach as far as prices are concerned. I know there are little cities like Guitres for example but its too ¨in the middle of nowhere ¨for me since also I am alone with my son I need more vibrant place.

THanks

·
Administrator
50,364 Posts
Most of the American expat groups I know of are in Paris these days - though you can contact them via the Internet nowadays. Outside of Paris, you may want to look for British expat groups, though the Brits don't seem to organize themselves like that. (Either they are trying to avoid other expats, or they just meet up in local pubs.)

If you haven't done so already, you may want to look into something like Message - a Paris based group for English speaking parents. Welcome to Message Paris They often have "cells" located out in the "wilds" of France and that would be a good way to hook up with other English speaking mums.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
71 Posts
YEs but I have a budget and I would like to have a garden or at least some land to put my vegetable beds. I would love to live in Bordeaux region on the outskirts but it is out of reach as far as prices are concerned. I know there are little cities like Guitres for example but its too ¨in the middle of nowhere ¨for me since also I am alone with my son I need more vibrant place.

THanks
Hello near to where my family has a house in Languedoc there was an English family who have recently moved back to Uk. They did however previously have a chid at nearby school in Peyriac Rieux and they spoke very highly of it and the efforts school made to welcome non-french speaking children.
There is a sizeable expat community around there, not just UK of course but Australians and Kiwis also.
I love Toulouse and Bordeaux but see what you mean about house prices.
Carcassonne is not as sophisticated as these nor Montpellier but it is enough for a change of scenery and pleasant to visit, and it is accessible by pubic transport.
Pretty much anyone who wants has plots to grow fruit and veg and it is possible to get a garden with your property. I don't visit in winter though so I've no idea if these places would be too rural for you.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
France is a very big country and apart from the main towns and cities, there are thousands of smaller or lesser known towns where housing is reasonably priced and where the quality of life is at least as good as in the "magnet" towns in the south.

And it's surprising how much goes on in the smaller towns or villages where it is easier to integrate and get involved in local activities.

Look everywhere, not just Montpellier, Toulouse and Bordeaux and take you time, it's a huge decision to make.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts