Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still currently in the UK but would like the advice of those who have lived in Sharm El Sheik for some time on the best place/s to buy a property.

I would like to be very close to the sea, close to a marina if possible and within walking distance of a variety of shops.

Thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am still currently in the UK but would like the advice of those who have lived in Sharm El Sheik for some time on the best place/s to buy a property.

I would like to be very close to the sea, close to a marina if possible and within walking distance of a variety of shops.

Thanks
Where to live/buy is a personal opinion of each individual. Personally I could never see myself living in Nabq, however lots of Brits live there.

It's all pretty much close to the sea, unless you chose to live further out in the desert! If you want to be close to a Marina, then you need to either be in Hadaba or Naama, and again both places are within walking distance of shops.

Your best bet is to get yourself out here and do a bit of research, you can ask all the questions you like on here, but at the end of the day only you know what you like so what we tell you could end up being a complete load of .....

Incidentally have you ever actually been to Sharm before, or have you just stuck a pin in your map? Sorry but all the questions you're asking makes me think you've never been, otherwise you'd know what areas you like!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where to live/buy is a personal opinion of each individual. Personally I could never see myself living in Nabq, however lots of Brits live there.

It's all pretty much close to the sea, unless you chose to live further out in the desert! If you want to be close to a Marina, then you need to either be in Hadaba or Naama, and again both places are within walking distance of shops.

Your best bet is to get yourself out here and do a bit of research, you can ask all the questions you like on here, but at the end of the day only you know what you like so what we tell you could end up being a complete load of .....

Incidentally have you ever actually been to Sharm before, or have you just stuck a pin in your map? Sorry but all the questions you're asking makes me think you've never been, otherwise you'd know what areas you like!

You are right, I have never been but I know a few people that have been for holidays. What they have told me has sparked my interest and I have recently come into an inheritance - hence the questions on here to ascertain the feasibility of relocating.
I think the best recourse would be to go out for a 2-3 week holiday, consult the estate agents, ask a few expats and get a feel for the place. But any advice on here is useful too

·
Registered
187 Posts

I was thinking the same thing as I read through the posts yesterday. But what you said is a good idea Chris, you need to get out here for a few weeks to see what the place is like, it can be quite a big culture shock for a lot of people and to invest so much time and money relocating and then at the end of it be unable to cope with living in Egypt would be a big loss. Also you would learn more detailed information when talking to people on the spot and find out exactly what you want to know.

I hope all goes well for you whatever you decide, it can be a big change moving to another country but it has its rewards too.:)

·
Super Moderator
1,784 Posts
You are right, I have never been but I know a few people that have been for holidays. What they have told me has sparked my interest and I have recently come into an inheritance - hence the questions on here to ascertain the feasibility of relocating.
I think the best recourse would be to go out for a 2-3 week holiday, consult the estate agents, ask a few expats and get a feel for the place. But any advice on here is useful too
Living in Egypt is a whole different ball game to being there on holiday believe me and can at times drive you crazy,so really think you need to come out and rent for awhile before you burn your boats.:D

Personally i would never invest my money in Egypt...far to unstable for my liking.:(

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Chris

Without a dought Hadaba is the place to be. Unless your over 65 then hurghada would suit you more, Hurghada average age is 73. Chilled though i must say.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree with the other posters Chris - you really have to come out to Sharm and spend some time there to see if you like it and also to get to know the place. What others might like, you might not. Living in egypt is VERY different to even being on holiday there.
But I wish you the best of luck!
Fiona

·
Registered
119 Posts
Total Bollocks:mad: How much time have you spent in Hurghada!!??

In Total about 9 weeks spread over 6 trips.It is nice there, in fact it has some of the best looked after back gardens in the middle east, Just too many elderly for me to feel at home. 40 years time maybe it will be the place for me but why i can still enjoy things myself i'll avoid it bar visiting my nan. Very easy to get work there though.

Saaf

·
Registered
985 Posts
;740375 said:
In Total about 9 weeks spread over 6 trips.It is nice there, in fact it has some of the best looked after back gardens in the middle east, Just too many elderly for me to feel at home. 40 years time maybe it will be the place for me but why i can still enjoy things myself i'll avoid it bar visiting my nan. Very easy to get work there though.

Saaf
Well, your 'vast experience' of staying at your nan's house is obviously no reflection of the real Hurghada.... just one very small part!!
I lived and worked in Hurghada for many years, I don't know anybody who has a nice back garden.... and the bars, discos, and clubs are definitely not OAP-oriented!!
Your nan obviously never took you to The Dutch Bar, Papas, Hed Kandi, or any of the numerous hangouts in Hurghada.
The marina is vibrant and lively at night, as is Sekala.

Having said that, I'd still want to rent a place in Egyptfor at least a year before I committed to buying anything.
When I moved there, I thought it was great.... loved my job (Scuba diving instructor), loved the place....
After a few years it was "meh.....had enough chaos!!"
In the short term, everything's rosy!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well, your 'vast experience' of staying at your nan's house is obviously no reflection of the real Hurghada.... just one very small part!!
I lived and worked in Hurghada for many years, I don't know anybody who has a nice back garden.... and the bars, discos, and clubs are definitely not OAP-oriented!!
Your nan obviously never took you to The Dutch Bar, Papas, Hed Kandi, or any of the numerous hangouts in Hurghada.
The marina is vibrant and lively at night, as is Sekala.

Having said that, I'd still want to rent a place in Egyptfor at least a year before I committed to buying anything.
When I moved there, I thought it was great.... loved my job (Scuba diving instructor), loved the place....
After a few years it was "meh.....had enough chaos!!"
In the short term, everything's rosy!! :rolleyes:
Fully agree with you Mamasue whata load of rubbish!!!!!!!! I'm 27 lived in Hurghada last 3years am certainly not an OAP nor were any of my friends huge expat community under the age of 30.....I also lived in Sharm before that for 2years and both are relatively the same never saw one having an older community than the other all about who you know and where you go!!!! Like you said obviously the poster didnt venture very far, if they didnt get to see Hed kandi, Papas, Mojito etc!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts