Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner and I have recently moved from UK to France. I am currently registering as an auto-entrepreneur. My partner was on ESA benefits in UK (DLA) equivilent. Is my partner entitled to free medical care in France and or any state benefits. The whole system is a maze here and we are requiring some assistance.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Try starting here. The rules for DLA suggest your partner can continue claiming it abroad, the rules for ESA suggest not. You'll need to ask DWP as they would in any case look at each case individually.

"Contact the exportability team before you move abroad or claim from abroad.

Exportability Team
[email protected] "

I would be very surprised if your partner can claim any benefits from France if he/she has never paid anything into the system. If he/she can't claim anything from the UK either and isn't going to be working in France, he/she may still be entitled to an S1 from the UK to cover part of the cost of healthcare. If not, he/she should be able to piggyback on your healthcare from France that you will eventually get via your business, but that will not cover full costs (and I'm not sure whether a partner has to be married or PACS'd before you can add them?). Beyond that it, if partner is accepted into the French system it would then depend if the medical issues that need treatment are on France's list of illnesses that do qualify for free prescriptions and treatment. But either way there would be no financial support forthcoming from France.

Hope this helps. And please pardon me for saying it, but it's always a good plan to find important things like this out before you commit yourself to a move. I hope you weren't actually counting on these benefits to help fund your lives here, because France can be a cold hard place for foreigners when the money runs out. I'm worrying for you, are you sure you've thought this move through properly?

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I'm sorry to say EuroT is horribly correct. Do your sums re income very carefully before you invest too your cash or emotion.

Two pieces of news that may be significant for you. The rioting farmers are blocking roads to try to change tax levels.

---- A man was killed near Paris today in one of the blockades.

---- The Financial Times reports today that France is slipping further and further behind Germany in the economic statistics published today.

The two very unfortunate events will lead to less inward investment (already on a downward path), more movement of companies & human capital etc out of France. Thus the opportunities for employment will become more difficult.

I repeat my comment made here on several threads - France is a great place to live, it is not where I would chose to earn my living or further my career.

DejW

Try starting here. The rules for DLA suggest your partner can continue claiming it abroad, the rules for ESA suggest not. You'll need to ask DWP as they would in any case look at each case individually.

"Contact the exportability team before you move abroad or claim from abroad.

Exportability Team
[email protected] "

I would be very surprised if your partner can claim any benefits from France if he/she has never paid anything into the system. If he/she can't claim anything from the UK either and isn't going to be working in France, he/she may still be entitled to an S1 from the UK to cover part of the cost of healthcare. If not, he/she should be able to piggyback on your healthcare from France that you will eventually get via your business, but that will not cover full costs (and I'm not sure whether a partner has to be married or PACS'd before you can add them?). Beyond that it, if partner is accepted into the French system it would then depend if the medical issues that need treatment are on France's list of illnesses that do qualify for free prescriptions and treatment. But either way there would be no financial support forthcoming from France.

Hope this helps. And please pardon me for saying it, but it's always a good plan to find important things like this out before you commit yourself to a move. I hope you weren't actually counting on these benefits to help fund your lives here, because France can be a cold hard place for foreigners when the money runs out. I'm worrying for you, are you sure you've thought this move through properly?

·
Administrator
50,428 Posts
Just to follow up on what EuroTrash said - your partner needs to be either married, or PACS'd with you to be able to get medical coverage as your "ayant droit."
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.