Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, to you all.

We are continuing with our search for a permanent home in France; concentrating our search, in the Perigord-Limousin National Park. A few friends have said that around Bellac is really nice; to the north-east of the National Park. We have seen some nice properties, up there, but other people have said that is rather bleak, and to be avoided.

We are looking for a balanced view with regards to the area and the weather.

Can anyone help, please?

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
I would work on the basis that all areas in France (well most) are hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

In terms of being 'bleak' that probably sums up the department as a whole given that it is sparsely populated and quite poor. A couple of degrees change in temperature is not going to change that.

Bellac is very remote. Do you want to live remote ?

If you move to a remote area with no activity about for 6 months of the year it will look and feel cold wherever you live.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
The tourist industry in France is much bigger than in the UK - by % of GDP. This means that many French towns are bustling with activity in summer and DEAD in winter. Not only no tourists but shop / restaurant owners, hotels etc close in winter and live elsewhere.

Of course, it's a matter of personal preferences, but being really remote requires a special personality. Remember that if you are moving post retirement that proximity to doctors, hospitals, pharmacies, x ray dept etc becomes more significant as we grow older!

In summer there's always walks, sitting on the terrace etc. In winter it can be depressing. I agree with Smeggie about summer/ winter in France.

In 2011 I moved from Normandie(NW France) to the Pyréenes Orientales (South). The former is rich, the latter poor. This translates into daily life as a higher % of people on social security, BAC pass rates, youth unemployment, new business set up etc. For expats these might not seem important, but they do flow through into the expressions on peoples' faces in the supermarket, the bustle (or not) in the street.

Good luck!

DejW

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bellac is a lovely little town! It has everything you are likely to need on a daily basis, and is surrounded by lovely countryside, mountains, forests, lakes etc. However, any small town in rural France will be quiet in Winter. On the plus side, property is good value for money. We have lived in France, about half an hour from Bellac, since 2003. It amuses me sometimes when expats comment on the lack of 'life' in Winter - just what they expect from a small rural town escapes me. There are a lot of expats in and around Bellac, and to be honest all around the Limousin, and they are still coming, despite Brexit. We are actually considering selling up our house and gite business and moving into a house we have been renting out in Bellac which has just become available! Our place is becoming a bit hard for us to upkeep. Bellac also has a station, with trains to Limoges, by the way. It is not far from Limoges airport, which is a very important consideration. It has a theatre, library, all sorts of things you can do in Winter. I personally love the differences in seasons here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bellac is a lovely little town! It has everything you are likely to need on a daily basis, and is surrounded by lovely countryside, mountains, forests, lakes etc. However, any small town in rural France will be quiet in Winter. On the plus side, property is good value for money. We have lived in France, about half an hour from Bellac, since 2003. It amuses me sometimes when expats comment on the lack of 'life' in Winter - just what they expect from a small rural town escapes me. There are a lot of expats in and around Bellac, and to be honest all around the Limousin, and they are still coming, despite Brexit. We are actually considering selling up our house and gite business and moving into a house we have been renting out in Bellac which has just become available! Our place is becoming a bit hard for us to upkeep. Bellac also has a station, with trains to Limoges, by the way. It is not far from Limoges airport, which is a very important consideration. It has a theatre, library, all sorts of things you can do in Winter. I personally love the differences in seasons here.
Many thanks for your balanced reply, Lurcher21. Could you please tell me compared to the north west of England; how does the Bellac weather compare, to the UK?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Here's a site where you can compare weather conditions for two cities (lieu 1 and lieu 2).
I entered Limoges and Manchester (there was no option for Liverpool).
Meteo France comparateur.
Whereas that site is interesting it must be said that only very large towns/cities are included in the survey so no chance of finding a local village/town with its reference to weather and climate.
Unfortunately I have no substitute to offer.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hello Butch,
Here's a site where you can compare weather conditions for two cities (lieu 1 and lieu 2).
I entered Limoges and Manchester (there was no option for Liverpool).
Meteo France comparateur.
What a fabulous site!

Was delighted to see that our weather in Leeds is comfortably beaten by that in Brive Le Galliard (our nearest weather station in France). About 10 degrees in Summer, 3 in Winter.

Lovely.

Regards

Ian

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
I don't care much for these weather websites. It has been cold and wet everywhere in France this winter.

Like I said earlier, unless you are moving to a mountainous location in France, expect all locations in France to be cold and wet in the winter and hot in the summer. A couple of degrees here and there does not change much.

If I was relocating to France, weather (although important) is not really the most important consideration. Especially the Limousin.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Knowing that the NW of England is probably the wettest part, compare the rainfall amounts for Limoges and Manchester I guess. But also bear in mind that much of our rainfall falls at night. We never get day after day after day of dreary, cloudy and dark. During the Summer we get loads of thunderstorms at night, and copious amounts of rain. As for temperatures, generally a bit colder here than in NW England in Winter, but made up for by the Spring, Summer and Autumn temperatures, which are almost always a good few degrees warmer. This past Winter has been exceptionally wet, the wettest for many many years, but more usually we have clear skies, which then make the temperature dip hugely. Spring tends to begin earlier, and Autumn goes on for a bit longer, than in the UK. Summer temperatures in general hover around 30 deg, and are often nearer 40 deg, which is OTT, but we do as the French do, and stay in the shade in the hottest part of the day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts