Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a bit of fun but at long last I will be moving to Spain and returning less and less to blightie. It is a bit different for me than most because my change has been gradual (12 years) and I have a spanish wife and family (and luv em to bits :)).

But I now find myself with tickets for Whitesnake (deep Purple), Moody Blues, Def Leppard and of course god (EC who I've seen 9 times already) whenever he next plays even if it is on the moon :).

Don't get me wrong there is music in Spain and as a flamenco guitarist I know more than many but the music universe is London and the UK. (My wife still says "but isn't he/they american?" and I have to proudly tell her ... :eek:

What was your final concert? Who did you see before you left? And who would you return for? :cool:

(ps not just Brits of course) ;)

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Just a bit of fun but at long last I will be moving to Spain and returning less and less to blightie. It is a bit different for me than most because my change has been gradual (12 years) and I have a spanish wife and family (and luv em to bits :)).

But I now find myself with tickets for Whitesnake (deep Purple), Moody Blues, Def Leppard and of course god (EC who I've seen 9 times already) whenever he next plays even if it is on the moon :).

Don't get me wrong there is music in Spain and as a flamenco guitarist I know more than many but the music universe is London and the UK. (My wife still says "but isn't he/they american?" and I have to proudly tell her ... :eek:

What was your final concert? Who did you see before you left? And who would you return for? :cool:

Not being into any of this modern stuff - Nothing I would go to Blighty for.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
In 1991 I bought a ticket to Panama and walked over to Colombia (o.k. we used dugouts as well ;)).

I bought the flights well in advance. Just after buying the tickets, an up-and-coming band I was heavily into at the time called Nirvana announced some UK dates.

Not only was I gutted at the time that I'd miss them, but it was subsequently made worse when they became huge and I realised it was the only chance to catch them "up close" still playing smaller, more intimate venues.

These days I couldn't care less about missing Nirvana. They're not coming back but also the route through the Darien Gap is pretty much closed off and that turned out to be much more of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Who would I go back for now? Maybe reunion gigs of what's left of the original Black Sabbath, Led Zep and Pink Floyd. Richard Thompson maybe. The thing is, I was never really into big stadium shows, and preferred to catch bands playing smaller venues, but I've completely lost touch with who is touring, still playing, up and coming, etc.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Now why does that not surprise me :rolleyes:

All I can say is "I hope I die before I get old" if that is what it does to you :D
Why? I was never interested in pop. In 1953, I discovered Classical music and it is with me still, lasts much much longer than any pop.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why? I was never interested in pop. In 1953, I discovered Classical music and it is with me still, lasts much much longer than any pop.
Why do you relate London to pop music? I have seen many fine classical concerts in London, and Glenbourne and Last night of the proms/Prom in the Park takes a bit of beating. And EC with the National Philharmonic Orchestra in the Royal Albert Hall for that matter.

I'm sure if you have been into classical music for over 60 years you must have seen some very fine concerts. And in a close to perfect for sound auditorium nothing is better or more emotional than a mass of musical instruments played by experts in unison.

Must admit the Royal Albert Hall is my favourite :) Luckily returning there from Cadiz is not so difficult; the harder part these days is getting tickets :(

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Why do you relate London to pop music? I have seen many fine classical concerts in London, and Glenbourne and Last night of the proms/Prom in the Park takes a bit of beating. And EC with the National Philharmonic Orchestra in the Royal Albert Hall for that matter.

I'm sure if you have been into classical music for over 60 years you must have seen some very fine concerts. And in a close to perfect for sound auditorium nothing is better or more emotional than a mass of musical instruments played by experts in unison.

Must admit the Royal Albert Hall is my favourite :) Luckily returning there from Cadiz is not so difficult; the harder part these days is getting tickets :(
What makes you think I relate London to pop music? Music is wherever it is played, be it Edinburgh, Liverpool, Manchester, Antwerp, Norwich, Paris, Amsterdam, Bogotá, Washington DC, or....

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What makes you think I relate London to pop music? Music is wherever it is played, be it Edinburgh, Liverpool, Manchester, Antwerp, Norwich, Paris, Amsterdam, Bogotá, Washington DC, or....
"Why? I was never interested in pop." was what you offered in reply to "What was your final concert? Who did you see before you left? And who would you return for?"

The Moody Blues are a classical /rock music fusion (I defy you to not have a slight emotion when listening to "Nights in white satin"
). Def Leppard and Whitesnake are rock bands. Eric is one of the greatest guitar players in the world. So I don't know where you got pop from?

But go on don't be a grumpy and tell us about your best ever concert. You have a vast wealth of worldly (and I mean worldly) experience to share. Spoil us :cool:

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
I'm not really much of a concert goer.

Last concert I saw was Yes in the bullring in Estepona.

I'd always wanted to see them but frankly, it was a bit of a disappointment.:frown:

I might make the effort to see Pink Floyd, again. Last time I saw them it was in about 1972.

·
Registered
366 Posts

Just recently seen Status Quo (fantastic), Jools Holland (great), Roy Hemmings(great), The Kinks (great), Martha Reeves (how embarrassing was that!) and then in July I am going to see Neil Diamond :)fingerscrossed:).

I would come back to see Cat Stevens (as he used to be known).

I am looking forward to listening to Spanish acoustic guitar.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I'm not really much of a concert goer.

Last concert I saw was Yes in the bullring in Estepona.

I'd always wanted to see them but frankly, it was a bit of a disappointment.:frown:

I might make the effort to see Pink Floyd, again. Last time I saw them it was in about 1972.
I have the impression Pink Floyd were at their peak around then, certainly the recordings of their live performances from that time seem the most creative. I caught them (without Roger) in 1987 but that's it. I also saw The Australian Pink Floyd in Madrid a few years ago and they were very good. It's definitely worth checking out the better tribute bands because some of them have excellent musicians, and they also tend to tour to Spain more.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Can I do it the other way round? I returned from my little holiday in Spain a couple of weeks ago and I was at the WOMAD festival in Caceres. Lots of great music there and a wonderful atmosphere. I'd recommend it to any music lovers who already happen to live in Spain. :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
We are off to see Roger Hodgson of Supertramp fame in Valencia next month , I would go back for a personal audience with the following , Rod Stewart, Robbie Williams, Queen and The Killers.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Returning

We are off to see Roger Hodgson of Supertramp fame in Valencia next month , I would go back for a personal audience with the following , Rod Stewart, Robbie Williams, Queen and The Killers.
Not interested in a personal audience with any of them, but you are right, I missed Rod Stewart and who could forget Maggie May and We Are sailing, etc., i mentioned before Queen. My. children were fed Queen from birth. I like the Killers too, but they are newer. Robbie Williams is so boring.
I should have included The Kinks, The Who, and as another poster said Cat Stevens and the unforgettable Leonard.

·
Registered
15,613 Posts
Never been one for big gigs, I think the last one I went to was the Planxty reunion at the Barbican. I miss the small acoustic gigs, folk clubs etc. I'm in the UK at the moment and spent a fantastic weekend with old folkie friends singing and playing tunes over a pint or three.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the impression Pink Floyd were at their peak around then, certainly the recordings of their live performances from that time seem the most creative. I caught them (without Roger) in 1987 but that's it. I also saw The Australian Pink Floyd in Madrid a few years ago and they were very good. It's definitely worth checking out the better tribute bands because some of them have excellent musicians, and they also tend to tour to Spain more.

I agree with you in every aspect. Pink Floyd reached their peak, in my opinion, in 1971/1972. During their tour for Meddle their sound in general was greatly collaborative. During the Waters-era this vibe disappeared.

I've been to a concert by "Pink Tones", a spanish PF cover band, in Cartagena last March and it was GREAT. I cried and all. :drama:

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I agree with you in every aspect. Pink Floyd reached their peak, in my opinion, in 1971/1972. During their tour for Meddle their sound in general was greatly collaborative. During the Waters-era this vibe disappeared.

I've been to a concert by "Pink Tones", a spanish PF cover band, in Cartagena last March and it was GREAT. I cried and all. :drama:
Funnily I had the song "Atom Heart Mother" in mind when I wrote that. The album version of the song never did too much for me, but some of the live performances from around then are outstanding. Very atmospheric and with much more interplay between the band members.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts