Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am flying out in 2 weeks, very exited about the adventure the awaits!

I am just dreaming about the beaches at the moment (I am currently land locked!)
How do you know which beaches you can wear what too? are there beaches that are restrictive in what you can wear? I have heard people mention that there are beach clubs, what is the cost involved in joining a club and is it necessary?

One of my friends was in Bahrain a few years ago and she said the sea was almost too hot to swim in, is it similar in Dubai (keep in mind when I do get to go to the beach it's the arctic currents in false bay that I'm used to!). What are the waves like?

That's it for now... my day dreams of the beach are getting me through my final exams!

·
Banned
598 Posts
you can wear what you like at any beach. no nakedness of course
dont bother with beach clubs. There are plenty of nice free beaches. I made a thread about it a month ago that gives some detailed info on free beaches. so do a search for it.
the water is cooling down, but a month ago it felt like you were swiming in a hottub. Its never to hot for a swim though.
not really any waves to speak of. there are little ones, like maybe a foot tall. hehehe

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you can wear what you like at any beach. no nakedness of course
dont bother with beach clubs. There are plenty of nice free beaches. I made a thread about it a month ago that gives some detailed info on free beaches. so do a search for it.
the water is cooling down, but a month ago it felt like you were swiming in a hottub. Its never to hot for a swim though.
not really any waves to speak of. there are little ones, like maybe a foot tall. hehehe
Thanks for the info! I thought the free beaches you were talking about in that thread were only the ones that you can drive on?

Hot tubs are good :) My last swim in the sea was at Llandudno just past Hout Bay in Cape Town. I got a headache from the cold! The antarctic (now that I think of it) currents have trained me well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can indeed find free beaches, but if you've just arrived, and especially if you're a solo female, it'd probably be more convenient and comfortable to use a private beach.
Minor detail: Gulf beaches are saltier than most open oceans, so you'll be keener than usual to have a shower afterwards.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can indeed find free beaches, but if you've just arrived, and especially if you're a solo female, it'd probably be more convenient and comfortable to use a private beach.
Minor detail: Gulf beaches are saltier than most open oceans, so you'll be keener than usual to have a shower afterwards.
Interesting point... I am hoping that I will be able to rope in people from work to show me around and do things like go with me to the beach. I am quite an independent sort of person so this will be an adjustment. Is it possible to get only a day pass on the private beaches?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, though it varies a bit. I can't tell you details, but your new colleagues will put you right, or you can take a slow drive along the coast on your 1st friday morning.
If it's beauty and wildlife you're after, and maybe some good snorkeling, you're probably better going East to the Indian Ocean coast, though the Gulf-side is still pretty natural in places.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'll wait for my husband before venturing too far out of Dubai. From what I understand the Indian ocean side is a lot more traditional, with regards to woman traveling alone. We have a friend working as a dive instructor somewhere out Abu Dhabi way, so we'll probably make our way there so see what her resort looks like.

But being landlocked most of my life means that I'm not very good at snorkeling and such activities, more of a sit and look at the beach and jump in the waves kinda lady.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.