Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,294 Posts
Motorcycle

Sad story and unfortunately all too common here.

When I was a much younger adult, I had pretty much the same habit, only with 1000 CC under me.

Luckily I escaped with just a broken leg before I wised up.
I basically had the same thing happen to me but on my right elbow, I rode in the US the Honda Magna 750, Yamaha FZR 600, Honda Silver Wing 500 and in the Philippines we had two Honda Waves but I've had enough it's just to crowded here and so many deaths in our municipality alone it's either drunks or going to fast, not wearing the helmet.

My wife attended the final day of remembrance for her God son yesterday he was holding his baby and going to fast the baby survived though but he didn't.

Last year 5 teens were on one motorcycle going very fast and drunk this was late at night the driver passed out and they hit a tree and that was the end, several more too many for me to recall except an Expat he had been drinking and abandoned his bar bill and took off with the brother in-law followed by the baranagay and hit a Water Buffalo that was loose and standing in the middle of the road he bled to death the barangay trike ran out of gas on the way to the hospital and it turns out the so called brother in-law was actually his wifes common law husband.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The other day I was driving on a rural road just after dusk, not much traffic and not much of a built up area. I was doing about 50 kph. No shoulders and lots of curves so 50 was about the best speed for the road perhaps a little fast if there was any built up areas around.

Suddenly three bikes passed me like I was standing still, I never saw them coming due to curves and lost sight of them in seconds. I'd guess that they were doing about 160 kph.

A minute later their buddy who must have stopped to finish his beer blew past me, if anything he was going to catch them pretty soon.

Never saw them again and there were no signs of an accident at the tee junction ahead, had they gone through the tee intersection they would have smashed through a brick fence, no lights, signs or other markings of the junction, no fresh skid marks either, so I'd assume that they were local and new the road.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Coincidentally an expat In Cebu was knocked off by a Ceres bus a few days ago. Expat in trike. He didn't make it

Sent from my ASUS_X008 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Sad story and unfortunately all too common here.

When I was a much younger adult, I had pretty much the same habit, only with 1000 CC under me.

Luckily I escaped with just a broken leg before I wised up.
These guys are on 125's and 150's. Imagine them on a power house. The Mio is fast enough for ben and I. We have a car but most times he takes the bike 35 minutes to mum and dads, his reason? Easier to park. I always worry, not for his ability but the other fools out there.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here's another regulation I was not aware of until I was stopped at a roadblock. Seems if you have one of those "boxes" added to the back of your motorcycle to carry things......IT requires a registration, just like a side car. I paid the guy 500 pesos and he let me go. I went to get the BOX registered and sure enough.....they have a registration fee you pay for those additional add ons to your bike.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Here's another regulation I was not aware of until I was stopped at a roadblock. Seems if you have one of those "boxes" added to the back of your motorcycle to carry things......IT requires a registration, just like a side car. I paid the guy 500 pesos and he let me go. I went to get the BOX registered and sure enough.....they have a registration fee you pay for those additional add ons to your bike.
Oh man this is another one of those items that either the cops are trying to shake you down or they are just ignorant of the actual law. I have seen the law and it states that if the top box was designed for a motorcycle and is less than so many feet squared that it is exempt. It is only the delivery scooters with homemade/company made boxes (like Jolibee) that require registration of 100p per year. I can dig up the law if needed.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
The top box regulations reminded me of another set of regs around vehicle licensing. These were penalties for misc.

One column says: Lose or Dirty License Plate = 5000 peso fine

Another column says: Fake License Plate = 1000 peso fine.:confused:

How does this even make sense?

·
Super Moderator
3,294 Posts
No License Plate

The top box regulations reminded me of another set of regs around vehicle licensing. These were penalties for misc.

One column says: Lose or Dirty License Plate = 5000 peso fine

Another column says: Fake License Plate = 1000 peso fine.:confused:

How does this even make sense?
Since I think 2014 I paid an additional 500 pesos on my annual registration for a new government issued license plate and never got one and was told my car was so old that I would never get one anyway LOL... So that's where it comes from and many other just have someone else make them a fake plate it's a real number but not the original license plate. There were rules on this new plate including the mounting nuts they all had to be original parts or you'd get a fine.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Since I think 2014 I paid an additional 500 pesos on my annual registration for a new government issued license plate and never got one and was told my car was so old that I would never get one anyway LOL... So that's where it comes from and many other just have someone else make them a fake plate it's a real number but not the original license plate. There were rules on this new plate including the mounting nuts they all had to be original parts or you'd get a fine.
But it is legal to make your own plate. I saw the regulations on that too. Just needs to be white background with black lettering and list the number with a few other details like Region and ???.

So I think the Fake plate is where you are trying to use a fake number and deceive the police/LTO into believing it is legally registered.

·
Super Moderator
3,294 Posts
Fake Registration/License Plates

But it is legal to make your own plate. I saw the regulations on that too. Just needs to be white background with black lettering and list the number with a few other details like Region and ???.

So I think the Fake plate is where you are trying to use a fake number and deceive the police/LTO into believing it is legally registered.

You could be right and this problem festered because it was never addressed right away.
https://www.autodeal.com.ph/article...d-users-fake-registration-licenses-and-plates

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
When I bought my car the dealer put a "Registered" plate on it with dealer name etc as well as the number on the yellow sticker. After about a month the dealer plate fell off so I went and got a black letter with white background plates made with region, LTO number in small letters and the conduction sticker number in big letters. They are plastic and the same size and shape as a North American plate, Cost 800 p and another 65 p for a local shop to mount them with bolts to the preinstalled threaded mounts on the car. Been driving around now over a month with it, not stopped but have been waved through a few checkpoints with no issues. ( Of course the next checkpoint might be different. This is the Philippines you know.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
It can get Nasty driving in the Ph. A lot of a**holes who don't mind about road safety :( so be sure to take precautionary measures whenever driving around.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts