Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all sorry this is a more of a technical than a cultural question - my apologies in advance

got a new bbox sensation tout-en-un installed yesterday - connects to my mac fine in the living room but does not pick up the signal in my bedroom, i'm given a connection timeout message even though the signal is showing four bars

I live in a ground floor 75m2 appt, my room is no more than 50m away from the router, I can pick up my neighbours boxes that live above me, surely its not feasible that the wifi does not transmit this far?

That being said this was last night and the connection was ok this morning - not the fastest but ok

could this just be teething problems with a new bbox? I wanted to pose the question here first because if i go straight to bouygues i'm scared I'll not be able to properly explain myself or get fobbed off since my french isnt as good as i would like it to be

Thanks!

·
Administrator
50,434 Posts
It can also depend on how many walls and of what construction they are. Friends of mine were having an awful time getting a wi-fi signal in their back bedroom, but it was because of the configuration of the house that there were just too many walls (and a set of metalic closet doors).

We wound up getting them an antenna for their computer that picks up the weak wi-fi signal. From my experience, you want to get an external wi-fi antenna, which means it comes on a cable so you can move the antenna around a bit to pick up the best signal. The antenna comes with a disc with the drivers so that you "train" the antenna to the proper signal (and not that of your neighbors upstairs).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
From the US...lived in Canada, UK, & France
1,307 Posts
You can also pick up Netgear (and others) electronics that will run your signal along your electrical wiring, then rebroadcast it or allow you to plug in an Ethernet cable in the other room. Works great for us - we have a similar issue in a small house that's all stone. You can find them on Amazon.fr.

Best of luck.

Ray

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
brilliant, sounds like all hope is not lost if it really doesn't reach my room! As much as I like being social can't really study in the living room :p

thanks everyone!

·
Registered
288 Posts
nb ray - don't suppose you have the specific name of the product to hand? thanks!
I was on Bbox and at 30 metres in garage office managed 25 - 30 % at best, with only two walls in between. Used a product product from Td-link which improved things. Now with another provider with improved results but wouldn't mind the product name of this netgear kit as well as OP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.