Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I am Australian and my family with 3 children aged 4,6 and 7 are moving to France for 3 years.

I have been looking at UTube at videos of Bayonne and Biarritz and trying to work out which place looks nicer to live.

Can anyone give me a brief description of the two and what would be better for a young family. We are looking to live in a house and don't want it to be right in the middle of a busy city.

Somewhere pretty with nice cafes/restaurants and a nice atmosphere with parks etc for the kids.

Thanks for your help.

Moving in July!:clap2:
Caz

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hi - a look at Bayonne and surrounding area on Google Earth will show you where green spaces and houses are. Bayonne has some lovely spots and a beautiful town centre - but with beaches who needs parks for the children? Obviously no shortage of cafes + restaurants - but maybe Biarritz gets a little busy in the height of the tourist season.

It is really just a short drive from one to the other - so halfway between? Best of both worlds in my opinion - resources of a larger city + easy access to beaches and attractive seaside towns.

Don't know if this is any help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
After living in the area for nearly a year, I would suggest Bayonne unless you specifically prefer a large anglo community. Bayonne is a nice town with lots of "family activities" to do and a great centre. The beach isn't far and you can get to Biarritz or north to Hossegor pretty quickly.

Biarritz is much more glitzy with lots of bars and a huge english speaking community. I personally find Biarritz to lack the charm of other towns in the Pays Basque, but again that is only a personal opinion.

On a final note, I believe that the cost of living is less in Bayonne.

Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just consider Biarritz/Anglet/Bayonne as one cute village with a beach centre (Biarritz) and a medieval centre ( Bayonne). We ourselves ( two kids 5 and 6)live in the middle in Anglet close to both. After all the three cities together have less than 100.000 inhabitants. Lot's of succes finding a nice house. After all thats the most important.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi.
I am Australian and my family with 3 children aged 4,6 and 7 are moving to France for 3 years.

I have been looking at UTube at videos of Bayonne and Biarritz and trying to work out which place looks nicer to live.

Can anyone give me a brief description of the two and what would be better for a young family. We are looking to live in a house and don't want it to be right in the middle of a busy city.

Somewhere pretty with nice cafes/restaurants and a nice atmosphere with parks etc for the kids.

Thanks for your help.

Moving in July!:clap2:
Caz
Hi,

Just wondering a year later where you ended up living and how you like it? I may be moving in a year to the area (my boyfriend is in Bayonne for the next three years). I am American and have a son who will be 6 when we move.

Also, what did you decide on for schools?

Thanks!

A

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hope you found what you were looking for, There are a good group of people around the area too so I am sure you found a good network?>

·
Registered
183 Posts
Biarritz is undoubtedly an extremely attractive town and the house prices reflect that - I think the prices in Biarritz are probably around double those in Bayonne. Plus it's a sellers market.
However, Biarritz is quite hilly and extremely crowded in summer. Parking = nightmare. Bayonne is less glitzy and more practical with the kind of shops you need every day. It takes us 10-15mins from our house in Bayonne to the centre of Biarritz.
St Jean de Luz was our first choice but it's the same story as Biarritz - high property prices. Having said that St Jean is only 20-25 mins from our house.. so not a problem.
Areas to look in for houses:
Biarritz: St Charles, Jardin Publique
Bayonne: Les Arènes, Marracq - avoid the north side of the Adour.
Hope this helps,
Good luck
Pip
PS We fell on our feet here.. We signed the compromis de vente 10 days after arriving here.. Be prepared to move quickly when you find your property..! (Yes, it was stressful!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.