Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
50,428 Posts
As far as groups are concerned, you may have to wait until September. Most clubs and associations shut down during the months of July and August when most of France is on vacation.

But come September, watch out for notices about "Forum des Associations" in your town and the towns around where you live. You may want to see if there is an Accueil des Villes Françaises (AVF) in your area - as this is a newcomers' group where you can meet both French people and foreigners (and there are lots of Brits in Normandy).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Moggyb,
Although my husband and I have had a home about 20mins from Caen for nearly 15 years, up to now I have only visited 3/4 times a year ( usually about 2 months in summer) but I will be moving here on a more permanent basis with our two dogs this autumn. We have lived in Dubai for most of the last 15 years. Most of the Brits/ expats we have known here have now fled back home so I'm hoping to meet some new people and avoid going stir crazy !! I see you were trying to set up a supper club ?!? I guess I can understand some people having reservations ( pardon the pun ) but I think it's a lovely idea and can't see the need for all the admin ! Anyway, I'm around if you want to chat further. Cheers H

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Moggy B and Helena, I too am considering moving to Lower Normandy (an area called Briouze). I am hoping to move with my 7 year old daughter and two dogs. It would be really good to get to know other Brits in the area.... a supper club sounds like a super idea.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Ella

Hi Ella, I posted a reply to you yesterday but I don't think I was logged in properly. I had asked if had experience of the Normandy area in terms of the culture/ beurocracy and if you speak the language ( or try !!). Like any country region, it can be a little isolating in winter months but like anywhere, it's what you make it and I quite like the winters. Too many years in the Middle East maybe !! Although my husband and I don't have kids, we do love kids and of course dogs !! I will be here permanently in the next few months so am keen to meet new people. Kind rgds H

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello all
would like to meet you both
but I am nothing to do with a supper club.
A meal would be great but not as a business, French rules etc.
A coffee would be great maybe meet up in Caen
moggy b
Ness really

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Moggyb,
Although my husband and I have had a home about 20mins from Caen for nearly 15 years, up to now I have only visited 3/4 times a year ( usually about 2 months in summer) but I will be moving here on a more permanent basis with our two dogs this autumn. We have lived in Dubai for most of the last 15 years. Most of the Brits/ expats we have known here have now fled back home so I'm hoping to meet some new people and avoid going stir crazy !! I see you were trying to set up a supper club ?!? I guess I can understand some people having reservations ( pardon the pun ) but I think it's a lovely idea and can't see the need for all the admin ! Anyway, I'm around if you want to chat further. Cheers H
Hi Ness/ Ella,

Lovely to hear from you. Now I actually have to leave lovely green Normandy this sat 15th to go back to very hot Dubai ( 55 deg + 100% humidity....yeuch) to start packing up the house etc. so I can be back here in the next couple of months. That said, I am a girl to grab the bull by the horns ! Friday could work for me for a coffee in a Caen if that's not too short notice before I leave. Kind rgds Helena

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok Ness. I could get into Caen for 11am if that suits and could meet you in the coffee bar in the centre of Paul Doumer if that suits and if not just suggest so where else and give me a ball park of where it is. I'm sure I'm not allowed to put my french numbers or email on here yet as I must submit a certain number of threads to do so but we are in the ph book under Culey le Patry. Home tonight after 7pm if that helps. Otherwise I'll be notified if you reply to this. Would be so nice to meet before I go. Rgds Helena

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Ok Ness. I could get into Caen for 11am if that suits and could meet you in the coffee bar in the centre of Paul Doumer if that suits and if not just suggest so where else and give me a ball park of where it is. I'm sure I'm not allowed to put my french numbers or email on here yet as I must submit a certain number of threads to do so but we are in the ph book under Culey le Patry. Home tonight after 7pm if that helps. Otherwise I'll be notified if you reply to this. Would be so nice to meet before I go. Rgds Helena
You both have enough posts now to private message each other via the forum (click on the other person's username).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have sent you a private message as per my instructions from the powers that be for the site ( fine helpful people ) !! But if you can't access it suggest u ph me tonight or am tomorrow. Selley, Culey le Patry or suggest anywhere easy for you. Helena

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have just moved to near Caen basse Normandy is there any brits living near by or any groups I could join
I have been looking out for groups to join for a long time but have had no luck...they all seem to be in the Vire region.....:mad:
I replied to the lady near Cæn ( on here) over a week ago but she was unable to follow up because, due to a disability I am unable to drive.....:plane:
Is there anyone who would just like to chit-chat about "things' Basse Normandie with me = An artist & ex Twitter addict (I am now too busy it takes up too much time) and a bit of a lonely sole with husband working in UK ?!!!!!:behindsofa:
I will be so happy to hear from you if you can bear me without coffee / supper ...heres hoping :welcome:;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello I would have replied earlier,
I hope you are okay, meeting someone tomorrow who understands this site better, so maybe we can swap phone numbers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I'm a french teen in Caen and I look forward to meet english spoken people in Caen and near. Contact me if you're interested.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts