Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ppl,

just joined in as I'm planning to move in Dubai and I'm trying to put all matters in place. I need a start figure about basic salaries so as to be able to make any comparisons. So I would appreciate if anyone told me what he/she thinks about the following:

Regardless of the job role and after all allownaces taken care of (housing, transportation, relocation costs, family medical insurance, family visas, compensation upon job termination etc.) is 15,000 AED monthly basic salary enough for a family with two young children (pre-school) to live decently and also save some money ?
I know when school comes around in 3 years, it would be difficult but our plan is for my wife to get a job also by then.
Otherwise, what you people think the minimum basic salary in Dubai would be, considering the basic allowances being taken care of.

Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My husband makes just a little more than you a month after allowances. You must make sure your employer is paying school fees - if not then be prepared to shell out a lot of money for school - especially if you have two children in school at the same time. We did not know this and his employer only has 1,000AED a month for school allowances. My child's school ended up costing about 60,000AED a year, so you can see this allowance was not enough. My other child is not old enough to go to school, if she had been we would have went back home because we would not have been able to save any money and the move here would have been pointless. If you have to buy furniture I would recommend dubizzle (online website) - it's used furniture. We are living very very basic and do not eat out much. We try to limit all outings as the activities here can get very expensive. So, if you employer is paying for school then I would say yes 15,000AED is enough to live comfortably and you can save some money.
Also, start looking for schools now for your children!!! Spaces are very limited and if you wait you could either end up in a bad school or a very very expensive one!!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Please read the salary threads. There are several hundred posts on this subject here.

Once you've read it, come back with any queries you may still have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts