Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Following the advice from peers and the helpful community (@touchlinedad) - My wife and I have just got married 3 days ago in Taiwan.

We are just about to start the application for the Spouse visa but had some questions before clicking the 'Apply now' button. The marriage in Taiwan is recognised here in the UK.

1) When do we click the Apply button on the UK Gov website? Before we have all the documents or after we gather it all?
2) People have mentioned we need whatsapp conversations,photos etc - is this true or just rumours? Does it change on a case to case basis? And will they inform us what we specifically need?
3) Can we upload the documents electronically or do I have to send them physically to the UK?
4) Can they take all of the money and still reject you?
5) How long can we expect before the visa is granted?

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
1. You are expected to send/scan the relevant support documents in a timely manner after you submit your application and/or when you have your biometrics. So little point in submitting application is you don't have all your supporting documents ready.
2. Yes, you need to show that you have a genuine relationship - showing communications prior to marriage is one way
3.Depends on where you are applying from
4.Yes, they can reject you and not refund the application fee
5.Standard process is about 3 months - priority is about 6 weeks.

Reactions: Kingpin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @Crawford.

There seems no rhyme or reason to what specific documents are needed. I've heard of applications being rejected on fine details like the photos not being presented in the right format. Are they really this fussy?

I guess my question is -

Is there a proven checklist of documents that stand the best chance to get acceptance? Or is it literally a non guided free for all where you just have to guess what they want and exactly how much....? Will they tell us what to give them?

Many thanks,

KingPin

·
Super Moderator
17,985 Posts
Thanks @Crawford.

There seems no rhyme or reason to what specific documents are needed. I've heard of applications being rejected on fine details like the photos not being presented in the right format. Are they really this fussy?
That is highly unlikely. It is a tick the boxes application. If you meet all the requirements, you should have no problem. There is no format for presenting photos.

I guess my question is -

Is there a proven checklist of documents that stand the best chance to get acceptance? Or is it literally a non guided free for all where you just have to guess what they want and exactly how much....? Will they tell us what to give them?
Again, it's a tick the boxes application. Do you meet the financial requirement? Do you meet the relationship requirement? Do you meet the suitable housing requirment? There are numerous document checklists on the forum. Do a search and when you are ready, you can post your own and members will comment.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
As Nyclon has said, you need documents to prove your marriage, genuine relationship, finances and accommodation in the UK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts