Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I have a quite important decision to make and would like to have your opinion, whatever that will be.

I am 38, I have been working in Germany in the last three years but I am now in the process of leaving the country cause I never got to terms with the depressing weather and boring people (some).

I have made some jobs interviews and have now two job offers, one in Barcelona and one in Melbourne.

The decision is quite difficult cause the positive and negative sides of each option are comparable.

If I chose Melbourne offer, it would be going back to my previous employer , working on the same project but with a manager role and six figures salary $$$ so bringing my career forward. Melbourne is a city that I love , I have spend almost 4 years there and they were probably the best of my life.
Moreover by going back to Australia I could renew my permanent Visa for another five years otherwise I would lose it. The downside is that it is far away and soon or later will feel the pull to come back to Europe and being closer to my family.

Barcelona offer would be a completely new job (different industry) in a big american multinational but the role would not be a real progression even though I would be excited to do something new. The salary would be much lower than Australia probably about half and even less than what I am earning now in germany. Barcelona is tempting as a city to live in but I have only visited it for few days and never lived there before.Good plus is the good weather, the sea and closeness to europe.

I know it always comes down to personal values but I would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks,

R.

·
Banned
92 Posts
As much as I dislike the "aussies outside of their big island", the catalans are worse and you would be in their territory.

Enjoy the land down under..

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Hi all,

I have a quite important decision to make and would like to have your opinion, whatever that will be.

I am 38, I have been working in Germany in the last three years but I am now in the process of leaving the country cause I never got to terms with the depressing weather and boring people (some).

I have made some jobs interviews and have now two job offers, one in Barcelona and one in Melbourne.

The decision is quite difficult cause the positive and negative sides of each option are comparable.

If I chose Melbourne offer, it would be going back to my previous employer , working on the same project but with a manager role and six figures salary $$$ so bringing my career forward. Melbourne is a city that I love , I have spend almost 4 years there and they were probably the best of my life.
Moreover by going back to Australia I could renew my permanent Visa for another five years otherwise I would lose it. The downside is that it is far away and soon or later will feel the pull to come back to Europe and being closer to my family.

Barcelona offer would be a completely new job (different industry) in a big american multinational but the role would not be a real progression even though I would be excited to do something new. The salary would be much lower than Australia probably about half and even less than what I am earning now in germany. Barcelona is tempting as a city to live in but I have only visited it for few days and never lived there before.Good plus is the good weather, the sea and closeness to europe.

I know it always comes down to personal values but I would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks,

R.
Only you kow how important work and salary is to you and it seems that those things are very different in Barcelona and Melbourne...

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I would opt for Melbourne. Progress your career, put money aside and build on your superannuation. If Europe still calls in a few years, then move back, knowing that you will have additional superannuation funds for when you retire. Plus you get to keep your PR (I assume you have the visa to enable you to return - otherwise you will need to sort that out with immigration). Oh, and you could subsequently apply for Australian citizenship, which would keep your options open into the future.

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Seems like a no brainer to me. Melbourne is a city you love and know and with the bonus of a better deal to go with. If you choose Barcelona and it's not really what you where expecting sounds like you could really regret that decision. Because yes, they are two vastly different cities and cultures and that itself may come as a shock that is difficult to come to terms with.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
My brother in law and his wife and kids moved to Melbourne nearly 10 years ago, the kids were born there, and they love it. It is one of those cities you either love or hate, nothing in between, but if you love it it seems to me to be a no brainer. Go to Melbourne and come back to visit Barcelona.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Yes, Melbourne. Difference in salary may mean you can buy a holiday home in Europe some day
But don't get carried away cermignano :D The cost of living is high in Melbourne (but not as bad as Sydney), which will eat up a fair bit of the additional salary. Yes, I know, the cost of living is relatively high in Barcelona (compared with elsewhere in Spain), but even so.

I wasn't joking about the superannuation though, especially given that currently social security contributions in Spain won't give you much by way of a pension. My superannuation account in Australia is, to my surprise, still growing, despite the pension I'm drawing down (my returns varied between 8.5% and 15% in 2016-17 across my spread of preferred investments). So, barring another global financial crisis, or the Australian economy going completely down the drain, .....

·
Registered
1 Posts
At the risk of putting words in your mouth, let me paraphrase your issue. There are four things that come into play in your decision (five if you count the visa, for which I have no opinion): Money, Career, Adventure vs Security, and Europe/Family.

Money and Career obviously point toward Melbourne. It sounds like your career would take a step back in Barcelona.

Adventure vs. Security is a toss-up. You enjoyed Melbourne and can assume you would be happy there again, but you might love Barcelona even more. Or maybe not. Also, the “been there, done that” aspect of Melbourne might even be a negative.

Europe/Family is a point for Barcelona.

Based on this, it sounds like Melbourne is your answer. HOWEVER, not I, or anyone else on this forum, can tell you what is most important to you. If having an adventure in Europe with you family close by is more important than money and career, it’s a no brainer; Barcelona!

We have no guarantees of what the future holds. At 38, you are in the prime of your career. You are simultaneously an experienced veteran and a young up-and-coming star. Taking a step back now could be devastating in the long term. And if in five years you want to move, Barcelona will still be there. And that multinational American company might just offer you an even better job based on the experience you gained in Melbourne!

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Another vote for Melbourne.

As career seems to be the overriding factor, and having now been working in Spain for 13 years, I cannot bring myself to recommend Spain as a career choice.

I assume (but don't know) that employment stability would be beeter in Australia than in Spain and the employment laws are more likely to be in the employee's favour. It is not just the salary to consider....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Melbourne..

Both are great places to live, and my wife is from Barcelona and we love the city, and the area. We were just there visiting, and my wife job searching, and have lots to offer on the subject.

However, to keep it polite, and as positive as I can say it, I would just say that if you are supporting others, or still need to save for your retirement, you should not choose Barcelona. Enjoy Melbourne and visit Barcelona!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi all,

R.
I am leaving the Netherlands this year for similar reasons. You've made me curious about Melbourne.

What was it about Melbourne that made your time there the best years of your life? :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts