Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From personal experience:
HSBC - rubbish. All telephone banking is through a call centre in India. The line is ALWAYS poor, you can't undersatnd them and they give conflicting information. This is after you've entered all your data of course!

Citibank: A joke. Took me 2 months to get my direct debit card. Website works when it wants to and sometimes will even not admit you with all correct log on information.

Just opened with Emirates NBD and very early days yet but seems ok.

Just had to blow some steam off after yeat another wasted 30 mins on the inaptly named HSBC telephone help line.
:boxing:

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I have been with Emirates for years and have had no problems (other than the usual Dubai problems). I like that there are so many branches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had bad experiences with HSBC, MASHREQ and EMIRATES NBD. Bad customer service, bank overcharging and bank changing terms of mortgages. I am yet to find a good bank after 5 years in the country.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
what kind of accounts do you need when you're over there
You will need a current acc with a cheque book - they are still using cheques over here for everything! They don't do a credit check.

·
Registered
494 Posts
From personal experience:
HSBC - rubbish. All telephone banking is through a call centre in India. The line is ALWAYS poor, you can't undersatnd them and they give conflicting information. This is after you've entered all your data of course!

Citibank: A joke. Took me 2 months to get my direct debit card. Website works when it wants to and sometimes will even not admit you with all correct log on information.

Just opened with Emirates NBD and very early days yet but seems ok.

Just had to blow some steam off after yeat another wasted 30 mins on the inaptly named HSBC telephone help line.
:boxing:
I'm with you on HSBC - never dealt with such an incompetent bunch of monkeys - my litany of woes with them would take far too long to type out. (One memorable incident involved a fraudulent ATM transaction in Dubai of AED45,000(!) on my account when I was on holiday in Indonesia (show me an ATM anywhere that will spit out 45K on demand!)...took 8 months of daily phone calls/weekly emails/regular visits to their customer service (sic) centre to resolve that one. Then there was the time they 'accidentally' cancelled my credit card; then completely 'lost' my account in their system; then issued me with a new credit card; then sent me 4 different PIN numbers for the same card - of course, the first three numbers I keyed in turned out to be the wrong ones, so the card got swallowed and so the whole process began again...)

Suffice to say, the two years I was with them (as a 'Premier' customer, would you believe) was a constant nightmare - to be avoided at all costs. Many of my colleagues have similar HSBC horror stories.

Mashreq were slightly better, although they were never able to explain random charges to my account.

Have been with ADCB for the past three years now and have absolutely no complaints whatsoever. Great staff and brilliant service too!

teuchter

·
Registered
3 Posts
teuchter said:
I'm with you on HSBC - never dealt with such an incompetent bunch of monkeys - my litany of woes with them would take far too long to type out. (One memorable incident involved a fraudulent ATM transaction in Dubai of AED45,000(!) on my account when I was on holiday in Indonesia (show me an ATM anywhere that will spit out 45K on demand!)...took 8 months of daily phone calls/weekly emails/regular visits to their customer service (sic) centre to resolve that one. Then there was the time they 'accidentally' cancelled my credit card; then completely 'lost' my account in their system; then issued me with a new credit card; then sent me 4 different PIN numbers for the same card - of course, the first three numbers I keyed in turned out to be the wrong ones, so the card got swallowed and so the whole process began again...)

Suffice to say, the two years I was with them (as a 'Premier' customer, would you believe) was a constant nightmare - to be avoided at all costs. Many of my colleagues have similar HSBC horror stories.

Mashreq were slightly better, although they were never able to explain random charges to my account.

Have been with ADCB for the past three years now and have absolutely no complaints whatsoever. Great staff and brilliant service too!

teuchter
I am with u on ADCB I have been with them for 3 years and no complaints!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mashreq - Theives !!

Emirates HBD - Rude, bad customer service, always trying to add those "extra" costs ....

RAKBank: Pretty good .. haven't heard anything bad about them yet............

Been with Citibank for 5 years .... seems ok so far .....!!!

Very Imp:

Make sure that you do not have your credit card and your bank account in the same bank. Reduces a lot of hassle for you on the long run (hidden charges from ur account etc for your credit card)... Yes, you will have to make a trip every month to the teller's for paying your credit card bills... but still worth it !!!

I personally have bank account and cc from different banks and things are just fine........ :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Make sure that you do not have your credit card and your bank account in the same bank. Reduces a lot of hassle for you on the long run (hidden charges from ur account etc for your credit card)... Yes, you will have to make a trip every month to the teller's for paying your credit card bills... but still worth it
I disagree...I have had everything with ADCB (current a/c; savings a/c and credit card) for a few years now, and have never had any problems/hassle/hidden charges. Plus I do ALL my banking online (including all my bill payments/credit card payments/Salik top-ups) - who on earth has the time/energy to make a trip to a bank branch and wait in line after all? 'Worth it'? I don't think so.

Welcome to the 21st century...

teuchter

·
Registered
28 Posts
I disagree...I have had everything with ADCB (current a/c; savings a/c and credit card) for a few years now, and have never had any problems/hassle/hidden charges. Plus I do ALL my banking online (including all my bill payments/credit card payments/Salik top-ups) - who on earth has the time/energy to make a trip to a bank branch and wait in line after all? 'Worth it'? I don't think so.

teuchter

@teuchter ......... u need to read what I said .... lol .... I never even mentioned ADCB and neither was it directed to you personally ... :) Just shared a pointer for people who have faced issues ......

I myself work in a highly technology oriented field and actually design and build these kind of the systems for a living .... so much for the 21st century bit...... :) What you just said is not really rocket science... hehe .. I also use online banking for paying my bills, tranfers etc from my online account..... and i never said that u should not do this .. :)

All I said is to maintain a Credit Card from a different bank.... assume this .....

1. You have to leave the country urgently (termination, resignation, medical emergency etc) ... the bank will immediately freeze your Credit Card assigned limit (say 150,000 AED) from your bank account till the end of the next Credit Card cycle .. maybe 30 days ... i know few people who have experienced this issue and this is unnecessary delay to get your things moving... :) ...

2. For any reason, the bank feels that you need to be charged for a fee (for closing your credit card, for adding additional services to your card etc), if you are not willing to pay it, they will just debit your Current Account for this amount ....... a lot of people face these issues and they have to run around, send emails, make calls etc .. trying to resolve this issue and get back their money .... read about user's woes with banks on this forum ... :)

3. There is an unexpected huge charge on your Credit Card, say your card got stolen .... and the card was used for 50,000 AED .... the money is immediately debited from your Current Account.. and they Banks let's you sweat it out for a couple of days trying to prove otherwise ......

4. When you don't hold an account with them, the Banks actually work faster to resolve any issues with your Credit Card billing... simply coz they do not have access to your bank account to debit these charges........... :)

The only hassle is to go to a teller once a month a pay your Credit Card bill... or you could even pay your credit card bill through online banking of another bank... with an additional charge .... :)

Are you seriously telling me that you are too lazy or just too good to just stand in a queue to make one payment, once a month.... at any teller, ATM machine, any Money Exhange houses ??? Really ? ... lol.. wow!!!

Living in the 21st century is not about being a lazy fart ... :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
@teuchter ......... u need to read what I said .... lol .... I never even mentioned ADCB and neither was it directed to you personally ... :) Just shared a pointer for people who have faced issues ......

I didn't say you had mentioned ADCB; nor did I assume it was directed at me personally. Rather, I was responding to your advice not to have everything with one bank.

I myself work in a highly technology oriented field and actually design and build these kind of the systems for a living .... so much for the 21st century bit...... :)

Look up irony...

What you just said is not really rocket science... hehe .. I also use online banking for paying my bills, tranfers etc from my online account..... and i never said that u should not do this .. :)

...nor did I suggest you had.

All I said is to maintain a Credit Card from a different bank.... assume this .....

1. You have to leave the country urgently (termination, resignation, medical emergency etc) ... the bank will immediately freeze your Credit Card assigned limit (say 150,000 AED) from your bank account till the end of the next Credit Card cycle ..

Well that's never happened to me - and I have resigned/changed jobs twice during my time here...personal experience; not hearsay or hypothesis.

2. For any reason, the bank feels that you need to be charged for a fee (for closing your credit card, for adding additional services to your card etc), if you are not willing to pay it, they will just debit your Current Account for this amount ....... a lot of people face these issues and they have to run around, send emails, make calls etc .. trying to resolve this issue and get back their money .... read about user's woes with banks on this forum ... :)

Additional charges with cards are commonplace here; nonetheless regardless of whether it's linked to your bank a/c or not, the bank will still hold you liable and the resultant hassle/woes will be the same...

3. There is an unexpected huge charge on your Credit Card, say your card got stolen .... and the card was used for 50,000 AED .... the money is immediately debited from your Current Account.. and they Banks let's you sweat it out for a couple of days trying to prove otherwise ......

Not true. This has actually happened to me (huge fraudulent charge on my card) and the charge was 'frozen' as soon as I filed a complaint and remained so until issue was resolved. Fact, not hypothesis nor hearsay.

4. When you don't hold an account with them, the Banks actually work faster to resolve any issues with your Credit Card billing... simply coz they do not have access to your bank account to debit these charges........... :)

Evidence? Or more of your homespun hypothesis?

The only hassle is to go to a teller once a month a pay your Credit Card bill... or you could even pay your credit card bill through online banking of another bank... with an additional charge .... :)

Why bother, when you can do it via your own bank for free?

Are you seriously telling me that you are too lazy or just too good to just stand in a queue to make one payment, once a month.... at any teller, ATM machine, any Money Exhange houses ??? Really ? ... lol.. wow!!!

I said I was too busy, as indeed many of us are. The few occasions I have had the need to resolve an issue in person at a bank has actually necessitated taking half a day off work: hardly a productive use of my time. My choice. (And you cannot simply use 'any ATM or money exchange house' to pay credit card bills.)

Living in the 21st century is not about being a lazy fart ... :)
Who said it was?

teuchter

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

teuchter
With ADCB for 2 years now, very happy with them. When I've had to call them things get done also, they messed up one transaction (sent it to the wrong bank) and when they admitted their mistake ensured it got rectifiied quick, even sending the money out on my behalf from their central bank and dealing with getting the money they sent to the wrong place themselves rather than making it my problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Originally Posted by dubai_warrior View Post
@teuchter ......... u need to read what I said .... lol .... I never even mentioned ADCB and neither was it directed to you personally ... Just shared a pointer for people who have faced issues ......

I didn't say you had mentioned ADCB; nor did I assume it was directed at me personally. Rather, I was responding to your advice not to have everything with one bank.

Having everything in one bank ? :) What happens if your bank crashes ? Your savings is gone.. ur credit card is useless ........ it's happened in Dubai.......... BCCI Bank crashed in mid-80's ...... realistic enough example for you ? :)

Please read up on "Financial Intelligence".. would make things clearer ... simply put... "don't put all your eggs in one basket"

I myself work in a highly technology oriented field and actually design and build these kind of the systems for a living .... so much for the 21st century bit......

Look up irony...

look up clueless self-centred smart-ass !!

other people can be right toooo :)

What you just said is not really rocket science... hehe .. I also use online banking for paying my bills, tranfers etc from my online account..... and i never said that u should not do this ..

...nor did I suggest you had.

then why were u talking about making online payments, when i was talking about credit cards ? .. :) grow up !!

1. You have to leave the country urgently (termination, resignation, medical emergency etc) ... the bank will immediately freeze your Credit Card assigned limit (say 150,000 AED) from your bank account till the end of the next Credit Card cycle ..

Well that's never happened to me - and I have resigned/changed jobs twice during my time here...personal experience; not hearsay or hypothesis.

Sadly, the world does not resolve around you and your experiences only. There are a few of us who also live here... and have diff experiences..

When you change jobs and ur employer informs the bank that u are not longer their employee and u have an outstanding loan or credit card, your account gets frozen ... :) maybe your employer was happy to get rid of u asap or was just nice or clueless about this.. :) this is the legal procedure.. :)

ask around ... u will find so many people with live examples... :) those not as "blessed" as you.. :)

2. For any reason, the bank feels that you need to be charged for a fee (for closing your credit card, for adding additional services to your card etc), if you are not willing to pay it, they will just debit your Current Account for this amount ....... a lot of people face these issues and they have to run around, send emails, make calls etc .. trying to resolve this issue and get back their money .... read about user's woes with banks on this forum ...

Additional charges with cards are commonplace here; nonetheless regardless of whether it's linked to your bank a/c or not, the bank will still hold you liable and the resultant hassle/woes will be the same...

sigh ........ point is... they will hold u liable.. but will not be able to dip their hands into your account and take out money without ur approval ...... !!! When u have a separate bank account in another bank, you need to physically hand your money over.. that gives u an edge......... god !!

Not true. This has actually happened to me (huge fraudulent charge on my card) and the charge was 'frozen' as soon as I filed a complaint and remained so until issue was resolved. Fact, not hypothesis nor hearsay.

hmmm.. again .. everything does not revolve around u ...... there are people who miss checking their statements since it is automatically paid from their account ... and they don't notice it until their account is debited ... :)

this is also fact .... sitting about 20 feet from a colleague who just went thru this 2 months back ... he travelled to lebanon and used his credit card once .... came back here and was charged a month later for 12,000$ purchase in lebanon and his the amount was debited from his account.... that's when he noticed it ..... took him a month, multiple emails, phone calls and visits to resolve this ... :) till then his account was debited for 12,000$ and he had to borrow money from others during the time

4. When you don't hold an account with them, the Banks actually work faster to resolve any issues with your Credit Card billing... simply coz they do not have access to your bank account to debit these charges...........

Evidence? Or more of your homespun hypothesis?

Personal experience !!! With RAKBank ....... they always look at you as a prospective customer for their other services .... car insurance, personal loans etc ..... so their service is fast ........:)

The only hassle is to go to a teller once a month a pay your Credit Card bill... or you could even pay your credit card bill through online banking of another bank... with an additional charge ....

Why bother, when you can do it via your own bank for free?

well... when you are toooo busy to make a payment and want to do it while warming ur chair... this is the only suggestion.... not recommended by me though to others.. :)

I said I was too busy, as indeed many of us are. The few occasions I have had the need to resolve an issue in person at a bank has actually necessitated taking half a day off work: hardly a productive use of my time. My choice. (And you cannot simply use 'any ATM or money exchange house' to pay credit card bills.)

Sorry mate... are u too busy to eat as well ? :)

I was talking about paying ur credit card bill... not other services... :)

This is what was listed on your bank website ... Mr.21st century... .... ohhh.. did the word "any" throw u off ? .. sorry .. specifically ... "any approved" .. i thought that was understood... sigh !!!

"You can pay your ADCB Credit Card bills free of charge at any of our ADCB branches and at select ATMs across the UAE. Alternatively, you can pay at at Al Ansari Exchange, UAE Exchange or at LuLu Exchange branches."

Living in the 21st century is not about being a lazy fart ...

teuchter

pls find my replies in blue above..

honestly... don't have time for this .... don't bother replying .. cheers .. :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
It's not for you to dictate to others when they should or should not reply. Note that you are the one who has resorted to ad hominem attacks on me/my integrity....

I also find it hugely ironic that you accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, when all I am doing is citing my own personal experiences with banks here (which may indeed be unique, although I doubt it), to challenge/disprove the 3rd party hearsay/anecdotal hypothesis you are quoting under the guise of fact. You cannot dispute these therefore you insult me? Bravo.

This forum is intended to guide/advise/help expats (current or prospective) in Dubai; hence I believe it is only honest and fair to challenge some of the incorrect/misleading points you raise. Like it or not, you are not always right and some of us will not always agree with your hypotheses/opinions or untruths you are clearly so desperate to propagate.

teuchter

PS: BCCI was a Pakistani-owned bank, not a UAE one. Investors worldwide were affected when it folded. Furthermore, UAE banks' deposits are underwritten by the government of the UAE. Better luck next time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's not for you to dictate to others when they should or should not reply. Note that you are the one who has resorted to ad hominem attacks on me/my integrity....

Well, i said you need not bother putting posts with "useless sarcasm" .. and attacks started with your "Welcome to the 21st Century" remark mate ... :)

Or was that a compliment to my post in your own sweet way ? :)

I also find it hugely ironic that you accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, when all I am doing is citing my own personal experiences with banks here (which may indeed be unique, although I doubt it), to challenge/disprove the 3rd party hearsay/anecdotal hypothesis you are quoting under the guise of fact. You cannot dispute these therefore you insult me? Bravo.

Posting your experiences should be just that .... not trying to put down a poster who is talking sense and being sarcastic about it ... your first post clearly shows u had not clue what i was talking about.. and u went on and on about internet banking for paying your other bills ... :)

How is internet banking related to a Credit card topic ? :) It is only a mode of payment... that's it ... :)

Honestly ... this is the classic response on forums when u have nothing better to say .... there is nothing i said in the guise of fact.... all are facts and well explained ... please google or ask others and get ur facts in order ...... again, the world does not revolve around u..... :)

This forum is intended to guide/advise/help expats (current or prospective) in Dubai; hence I believe it is only honest and fair to challenge some of the incorrect/misleading points you raise. Like it or not, you are not always right and some of us will not always agree with your hypotheses/opinions or untruths you are clearly so desperate to propagate.

Exactly what I told u earlier... :) Challenging and discussion is way different from "useless sarcasm" that you were propagating :)

teuchter

PS: BCCI was a Pakistani-owned bank, not a UAE one. Investors worldwide were affected when it folded. Furthermore, UAE banks' deposits are underwritten by the government of the UAE. Better luck next time.

lool... i know that google works too........ :)

u seriously think it is safe to bank with an UAE bank and all your money is protected ? :) You think the gaints like Citibank, HSBC, ADCB etc are all immune to a crash ? Ever heard of "Lehman brothers" ? :) God bless ur soul... :) and how does that even matter in this discussion ? :) the topic was about having all ur funds in ONE bank... simple !!!

Well... even the customers money in BCCI was "protected" and the money is still being returned to this day.... in small tiny installments to it's customers .. hehe .... that is "protection" ... :) and no, this is not fiction ........ my parents were one of their customers.......... is that fact enough for u ? :)

Oh please........ "BCCI operated in 78 countries, had over 400 branches, and had assets in excess of US$20 billion, making it the 7th largest private bank in the world by assets.

The first fact was the extraordinarily close alliance between BCCI and some of Britain's most powerful financial houses and aristocratic families.

The second fact was that BCCI was created, and then built up as a "world class" bank

Third fact, please find out who the largest shareholder was for BCCI... and then find out who the largest shareholder is for Citibank" :)
Listen, you are going on and on with your unproductive comments .... and i seriously have wasted so much time on this ....

If you feel "attacked" ......... well....... my apologies !! .... we all are here to be enlightened by ur wisdom and take ur sarcasm with a smile .... i keep forgetting that.. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.