Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a French bank account, with Caisse D'Epargne. I find the fees are pretty steep compared to what I'm used to in Australia. Are the fees pretty-much the same across all French banks, or are some better than others? If so, which are the better ones? ALSO, as a non-resident, I understand that I can't get a credit card, but can I get a Carte Bleu? I do have an ATM card on my existing account but it only works in ATMs, and only in Caisse D'Epargne ones at that.

·
Administrator
51,290 Posts
Carte Bleue IS a credit card - so if you can't get a credit card as a non-resident account holder, I doubt they'll be able to give you a Carte Bleue.

The fees for banking in Europe (outside the UK, at least) are always steep compared to what we "anglophones" are used to paying. I don't know how the non-resident fees differ from the resident fees, but the resident fees always struck me as outrageous when I first got here. The fees vary a bit from bank to bank, though it depends on what services you need and want.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
134 Posts
Carte Bleu - Banque Tarneaud

We currently have a non-resident bank account with Banque Tarneaud (which we'll switch to a resident account shortly). We've had Carte Bleus on that account since we got it, about 5 years ago. So you should be able to get one, assuming you have a permanent address in France.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This discussion was very helpful to us - as looking at the fees for banking in France, made this Scotsman's eyes water. We were of the opinion that a credit card could not be sourced until we were permanently living there, with a Visa logo/Mastercard logo debit card the only option. Is this correct?

·
Administrator
51,290 Posts
This discussion was very helpful to us - as looking at the fees for banking in France, made this Scotsman's eyes water. We were of the opinion that a credit card could not be sourced until we were permanently living there, with a Visa logo/Mastercard logo debit card the only option. Is this correct?
Ain't no such thing here as a "debit card." What they call a Carte Bleue (or occasionally a "carte credite") is actually a debit card with a Visa or Mastercard logo/link. The official line is that the card "acts like a credit card outside of France" but that's not really the case.

A Carte Bleue is associated with your checking account. With a "regular" Carte Bleue, the funds are taken directly out of your account when the charge hits the bank (i.e. it is actually a debit card). You can pay extra (i.e. the annual card fee) for a "deferred" card, which means they accumulate all charges in a month and take them out automatically either at the end of the month or on a specific date after the end of the month. (My deferred card takes the month's charges out of my account on the 10th of the following month.)

There is no option to have the kind of card where you pay the card bill - even something like American Express or Diners Club must be attached to a specific bank account and they automatically withdraw the amount due at the end of the month. There is no option to pay only part of the balance due and roll it over to the next month.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't know how the non-resident fees differ from the resident fees, but the resident fees always struck me as outrageous when I first got here.
I have a non-résident checking account (compte courant) with Crédit Agricole, a card with a "VISA" logo (but it actually works as a debit card) and checks, and the fees are exactly the same as if I was a resident. (btw, the charges are not steep at all, actually very convenient... by south american standards :D )

jacques.

·
Registered
87 Posts
hello everyone, I don´t want to "hijack" the conversation, but can we please list some fees as an example?

thanks

Alx

·
Administrator
51,290 Posts
hello everyone, I don´t want to "hijack" the conversation, but can we please list some fees as an example?

thanks

Alx
Many, if not most banks publish a brochure detailing all their fees. These brochures are generally available on the bank's website (though you have to hunt around a bit to find it!).

This is an example from my bank, but most other banks should have something similar: Banque Populaire Rives de Paris
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.