Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am searching a bank with following qualities, in which I can open my account:

• low monthly/annual fee
  • interest free accounts (current account)
  • v.good online facilities
  • visa/master card powered debit cards

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Rackspace,

I think most of the accounts git that description. St George has no fees if you either put your salary in (or have a mortgage with them) but there isn't much interest on the current account. We do all our banking online and they have visa debit card (which can be used at the same places where visa credit cards are accepted including online).

The other banks are
Commonwealth bank
NAB
Westpac

When I'm looking for saving accounts I tend to look at websites such as Interest Rates | Compare Savings accounts, home loans, credit cards & term deposits | InfoChoice. Unfortunately they don't do current accounts since I think most of them are fairly similar.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just signed up with NAB this month. They don't have any fees on their classic/current account and you can get a linked savings account that has a decent interest rate. Online banking seems good so far and is easy to set up. You can transfer between the current and savings with no delay, though you can only withdraw from current at the ATMs. I also took the free option of my card being Visa powered.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Karen: thank you for reffering me to the site, i am actually looking for interest free account.
@Rachael: thank you for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just now, I was looking at some banks and found that many are charging 2-3% fee on purchases done online in foreign currency??
Isnt it too much? I guess now a days some american banks are actually giving 1% cash rebate on internet purchases.
What you think?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts