Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

Since I am going to be keeping my bank account in the UK and using it to transfer money across - I think that's the best option having read things on this forum - I was wondering if someone who does this could tell me approximately how long it takes so that I can do it in advance of having payments due.

Thanks
James

G

·
Hey everyone.

Since I am going to be keeping my bank account in the UK and using it to transfer money across - I think that's the best option having read things on this forum - I was wondering if someone who does this could tell me approximately how long it takes so that I can do it in advance of having payments due.

Thanks
James
With the new SEPA transfer it should not take longer than a transfer inside a EU country. However I transfer now and then from Cyprus to Germany and the bank states 4 banking days. In the other direction I have not tested. I have given up Cyprus banking and normally use my German account and pay with card here or pick up from ATM and pay cash

Anders

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi James
You can use a currency exchange company, eg Currency Fair is the one we use, to bring money from the UK to Cyprus as long as you have a Cypriot bank account too.
Your money will be transferred within around 24 hours. Currency Fair charge €3 per transaction.

·
Registered
173 Posts
On the subject of money transfer, in my case OUT of Cyprus. My account is with ex-Laika bank, now the very efficient BoC (not!). I have been 'trying' to transfer a small lump of money (nothing like the amounts the Russian oligarchs or ex-Cypriot bank directors moved). But can I get it moved? Can I hell!

I can log in and punch in all of the information of the beneficiary bank, etc., then when I hit the 'submit' button I get an error screen saying "I don't have access to the next page".

I must admit this is the first time in nine months I've tried to move funds, previously I had no problems, I'm following the same process as back then, when the bank were happy to charge me 71 Euros for the simple transfer, (a bargain).

So I phone the nice man on the help desk and before I finish explaining my problem he cuts in with "...don't tell me you get a screen with the message 'you don't have access to this page'..." Wow! I think, this guy is going be able to solve the riddle. No! he comes up with the cock and bull story that the problem is with my Browser.

This didn't quite ring true to me, but I'm calm and controlled and give 'Sir Tim Berners-Lee' on the other end of the phone the benefit of the doubt. Albeit I'm using Microsoft IE 10 (latest figures show 20% of global web users use Microsoft). I gave it go on Chrome (46% of the world use Chrome), next up Firefox (17% market share) last but not least my faithful little tablet, with its own browser. Every one produced the same result "you don't have access to the next page". Ahhhh!

So before I contact the nice man at the contact centre again, has anyone come across this enigma wrapped up in a conundrum? More importantly, have you managed to solve it? Could it be because I'm logging in from out side of the country?

Sorry for the rant, but I really do need to get the money out to pay some bills. :mad:

·
Registered
488 Posts
There are limits to the amount of money that can be transferred out of Cyprus and I suspect that you may be attempting to breach one of these limits.

G

·
Hi James
You can use a currency exchange company, eg Currency Fair is the one we use, to bring money from the UK to Cyprus as long as you have a Cypriot bank account too.
Your money will be transferred within around 24 hours. Currency Fair charge €3 per transaction.
On the subject of money transfer, in my case OUT of Cyprus. My account is with ex-Laika bank, now the very efficient BoC (not!). I have been 'trying' to transfer a small lump of money (nothing like the amounts the Russian oligarchs or ex-Cypriot bank directors moved). But can I get it moved? Can I hell!

I can log in and punch in all of the information of the beneficiary bank, etc., then when I hit the 'submit' button I get an error screen saying "I don't have access to the next page".

I must admit this is the first time in nine months I've tried to move funds, previously I had no problems, I'm following the same process as back then, when the bank were happy to charge me 71 Euros for the simple transfer, (a bargain).

So I phone the nice man on the help desk and before I finish explaining my problem he cuts in with "...don't tell me you get a screen with the message 'you don't have access to this page'..." Wow! I think, this guy is going be able to solve the riddle. No! he comes up with the cock and bull story that the problem is with my Browser.

This didn't quite ring true to me, but I'm calm and controlled and give 'Sir Tim Berners-Lee' on the other end of the phone the benefit of the doubt. Albeit I'm using Microsoft IE 10 (latest figures show 20% of global web users use Microsoft). I gave it go on Chrome (46% of the world use Chrome), next up Firefox (17% market share) last but not least my faithful little tablet, with its own browser. Every one produced the same result "you don't have access to the next page". Ahhhh!

So before I contact the nice man at the contact centre again, has anyone come across this enigma wrapped up in a conundrum? More importantly, have you managed to solve it? Could it be because I'm logging in from out side of the country?

Sorry for the rant, but I really do need to get the money out to pay some bills. :mad:
Co-op bank dont allow transfer abroad with the internet bank. I have to go to the bank and do it. Perhaps this has to do with the trojka

Anders

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Why not try paying the bills directly with a debit card on your Laiki account. I was able to pay a large bill in Germany last month with absolutely no problem.

Another thought: you can't transfer money online without one of the little code machines you get from the banks. If you do not have one of these it is probably blocking your access to the page where the code root is obtained.

Pete

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks all, sorry I should have read the Decree on the web site more carefully:

“Cashless payment and or transfer of deposits/funds to accounts held
abroad are prohibited, with the exception of- blah, blah, blah…”​

Basically I can’t transfer anything over 500 Euro without an approval from the committee, it would have been helpful if the man in the call centre had mentioned this. I thought the limit was 5,000.

I’m wanting to transfer 1,000, so I have a few options open to me: send the money in two lumps, with the associated double hit of transfer fees, or find out what documents/paperwork I need to get approval from the committee (may be the nice man in the call centre can help me with this) or wait until the financial situation rights itself and the capital controls are lifted, (using Iceland as a yard stick, this could take some time) or pop into the bank and get cash, but since I now live outside of Cyprus this could be a little challenging.

Ho hum, I’m sure I’ll get it sorted, thanks once again for all of your responses.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just a footnote: I've tried to transfer 499 Euros, same problem. So it's back to the nice man in the call centre for help.

·
Registered
976 Posts
“Cashless payment and or transfer of deposits/funds to accounts held
abroad are prohibited, with the exception of- blah, blah, blah…”​
Just a footnote: I've tried to transfer 499 Euros, same problem. So it's back to the nice man in the call centre for help.
Is there and/or what is the timelimit between each authorised movement of €500?

If there is a time limit per transfer, have you made any "cashless payments" abroad (maybe by DD, SO or even by debit card over the www) which, when aggregated with this transfer, put you over €500?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts