Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm in a situation where I just arrived to Lyon, France and have not yet found a job, which makes it impossible to get an apartment. I have more than enough money in my bank to pay the rent of an apartment indefinitely but have no way to prove this. I have heard a lot of talk about bank guarantees, so I went in to a number of banks asking about one and they all said that they didn't offer one. After a bit of further research, it seems some banks offer guarantees but only to those who already have jobs.

So my question is, has anyone ever got a bank guarantee for renting? If so, how did you go about it, cause it seems to me like they don't exist despite the regular talk I've heard about them as an option for renting without a job.

Besides that, is there any other way to convince the agencies and/or owners that I'm good for the rent money? I know that some foreign people live in France long term (I'm guessing a number of them are on this forum), how do they/you do it?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
It used to be possible to set this up via a notaire - you lodge funds equivalent to 3 years rent or whatever in a dedicated bank account that only the notaire has access to. I'm not sure if this is still permissible/acceptable or not. The notaire will of course charge for providing the service.

·
Registered
577 Posts
For the apartment I'm currently renting in Paris I paid four months rent in advance plus a month's security deposit.

I move to a new apartment over the weekend that I arranged through SabbaticalHomes.com - a site that connects renters with owners, not agents. Only a security deposit was required to secure the apartment and rent is paid at the beginning of each month. I believe they have listings for Lyon.

Bank guarantee? Were you offering to put up savings for the term of the let (or a portion) and they refused? That seems odd to me

edit: just noticed the post before me - wasn't aware that a notaire could arrange

Hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Hello,

I'm in a situation where I just arrived to Lyon, France and have not yet found a job, which makes it impossible to get an apartment. I have more than enough money in my bank to pay the rent of an apartment indefinitely but have no way to prove this.
Before you go down the more 'expensive' route of renting a flat, or you really confident that you will find a job in Lyon ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't seem to be able to send PMs, as a new member I can't send one.

Thanks for the other advice, I am currently looking for a notaire who will offer this service. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts

Thanks for the other advice, I am currently looking for a notaire who will offer this service. Any suggestions are appreciated.
:welcome:

After 5 posts you can send PMs...have you tried le bon coin or pap.fr or others like it that don't involve agencies?... sorry I can't help much but keep posting I'm sure someone will be along to help. :)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
It would certainly be better to bypass the agencies if possible.
Or maybe consider a flatshare/colocation while you get settled in - if you find nice flatmates who know their way around Lyon and how things work, they could be helpful in all kinds of ways.
I maybe shouldn't have mentioned the notaire option. That was what was suggested to me by an agency when I was looking to rent but it was about 12 years ago now and I have a notion at the back of my mind that the last overhaul in the rental regulations imposed limits on what the landlord can ask for in the way of guarantees, so this may no longer be sanctioned by the regs.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
It would certainly be better to bypass the agencies if possible.
I am not sure that is good advice. Outside of a major city....perhaps....maybe ????...probably not.

Lyon, Paris, Bordeaux etc....I would go with a rental agency.

No one in their right mind would rent their flat out in prime location without the services of an agency. Well, unless the flat is grim or is some dodgy location.

As a renter, you have better protection with an agency. Renting direct from a landlord and you are in the hands of the gods. There have been many posts on this forum to prove that point :)

·
Registered
493 Posts

My bank (in Lyon) provided a guarantee. All I had to do was deposit one year's rent in an escrow account that is held for the duration of the lease.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts