Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello again,

In my last e-mail to Activo I told them that UK citizens don't have ID cards, only passports, and that although I was unemployed I had loads of money in a bank in Spain, and that I have had an account with Caixa Geral de Depositos since 2011.

They responded only to say this:

A documentação solicitada é aquela que é pedida ao cliente conforme Aviso 11/2005 do Banco de Portugal.

O único documento que poderá ser excluído é o comprovativo de entidade empregadora, uma vez que se encontra em situação de desemprego.

I don't really know what the first paragraph is saying, but the second seems to say that the only document that might be excluded is the work thingy, since I am unemployed.

I think I will just try and complete the opening of the account at Milennium in Viseu, and take printouts of the e-mail communications.

I am supposed to take

Passport
Cartão de identidade emitido pelo Serviço de Estrangeiro e Fronteiras (SEF)
Comprovativo de Morada
(instead of these I will show my certificate of residency thingy)
250 euros

I will also take along my temporary ID which seems to have the equivalent of the número contribuinte, as they accepted this number on their on-line application form.

Hope this makes sense - reassurances always appreciated. :)

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
The first sentence refers to the rules and documentation laid down for opening and account by the Bank of Portugal
the second is as your unemployed you can't/needn't produce a document of employment, but by stating your unemployed it's a reason to have an application denied as I said better to say retired.

Comprovativo de Morada is proof of address = utilty bills, Escritura, rental contract, Astestado from Junta that type of thing or a combination

Apart from Passport don't forget your NIF either the card or the paper you got from Financas you cannot open an account in Portugal without one or providing proof of it. If you don't have it you can get a copy from Financas or online if you have access to your NIF

Really don't know what you mean by "temporary ID" no such thing here, you either have the Certificate of Residence or a Buff Permanent Residence Card which is what they are asking for
= Cartão de identidade emitido pelo Serviço de Estrangeiro e Fronteiras (SEF)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello Canoeman,

Thanks for your help.

I think I can persuade them that I am retired, although won't they then ask for proof that I am getting a pension?

I don't really have proof of my address apart from the certificate of residency. I don't pay bills, have a contract or anything. The truth is that I am just using a friend's address for post and anything official, such as the residency certificate, but I don't really live there. I stay with another friend but who I got to know later and didn't bother changing addresses as I don't pay bills etc. there either.

Sorry for the confusion. The temporary ID is what the name of the document translates to (according to Google Translate), but it is the NIF number, which I take with me everywhere.

I will have a go at going to Milennium and see what happens with what I've got and what I can say to them.

I will let you know what happens.

Thanks very much again.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Being retired doesn't necessarily mean your of Pension age, we retired at 55 and just stated it.

Your address might be an issue where's your Caixi General account registered too? might surffice

·
Registered
86 Posts
Update

Better late than never!

As promised - back to tell how it went with opening an account with Activo bank with only my NIF number, my certificate of residency and my passport.

Sometime after my last post here I had a Portuguese friend phone Activo bank to check that I these docs would be sufficient, and that I would be able to open an account via Millenium bank (rather than driving almost two hours to the nearest Activo branch), and to check how I could prove my address - as the only proof I had was the certificate of residency.

The person at the other end said that I could present anything that had been posted to me within the last three months. I therefore got my sister to write to me.

After I got my sister's letter, I visited Millenium Bank in Viseu with my documents to see if it would work. The employee there didn't take my sister's letter, saying it was unnecessary to do so.

She didn't ask for the 250 euros and I didn't offer it.

She phoned the Activo branch in Aveiro to check something, and then told me that she would send photocopies of my documents to Aveiro and e-mail me in about a week when my account would have been opened and my new account documents had arrived to her.

She did this - it took more like two weeks for some reason. Towards the latter part of this period I received an e-mail from Activo bank telling me the account was opened and my documents were ready for collection from Millenium bank in Viseu, and that I would need to deposit 250 euros into the account when I collected the account docs.

I have recently done all of this, and all seems to be well. I now have a debit card - yay! And today I used Millenium bank again to deposit the cash I withdrew from my other account, which I have closed, telling them it was because of their high maintenance fees.

So thank you so very much for telling me about Activo Bank! Your advice will save me money!!! Yay again!!!
:roll:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts