Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I currently work for a big french company in Palaiseau area. I want to rent a stunning apartment.

Before I can do so I am required (by landlord) to provide a guarantor - I earn 5 x the rent (and find this requirement bloody ridiculous). My colleagues (french) are empathetic but do not want to take the risk (refuse to be guarantors).

Another option is a bank (HSBC). The bank initially told me that if I deposit 1 monthly rent and keep it there for the entire duration of the contract the guarantor process can start. Two days later I checked with the bank on the progress. The bank manager talked (he was obliged to) to the landlord and the landlord requested to deposit 9 monthly rents (+ 20% extra = request from the bank).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

·
Administrator
50,053 Posts
Thanks to the laws in France regarding rental of residential property, the landlords really have to be careful who they rent to. Once someone has occupied a rental property it is very very difficult to evict them, even for failure to pay the rent. So landlords have to do what they can to ensure payment.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
629 Posts
You won't get it any other way I'm afraid, apart from paying up front. It's like that here. As Bev says landlords are very strict on proof of getting their rent and knowing it's there for at least 9 months (usually a year or the full 3 years if on an unfurnished rental property. What lease is it? Furnished or unfurnished?

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Have you had a look at Loca'Pass? (Google it)

h

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your replies and contributing to my better understanding of the situation in France.

It is an unfurnished apartment.

I will study the loca-pass option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.