Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,995 Posts
Can an american open a bank account with a tourist visa if they have proof of address ??
Thanks
Proof of address where? A few years ago when I opened a bank account in Mexico, I had to show proof that I had a residence visa. A tourist card would not have done the trick.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Tour the banks. I believe that there is at least one who will open an account for you.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Any idea of which bank or banks that could be?
Not a single idea. I have heard Banamex and BBVA, but somehow it depends on the branch. Normally, it requires a Temp or Perm, but some people have gotten them with a Visitante. That's why I said to tour the banks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies .....my husband and I are going to be renting a condo in Puerto Vallarta for a year to get a good rate but will come and go so it would be nice to have a local account. I know we can't stay longer than six months but can leave for a few days and come back for another six months. Is that correct ? How many times can you do that ?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
You may soon get an answer from post #6 from a member living in a windy city.........

You used to be able to start the process to open an account at the citi international dept. for a Banamex account.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Can an american open a bank account with a tourist visa if they have proof of address ??
Thanks
Things are constantly changing in Mexico and individual local branches have been known to interpret things differently at times.

Banamex Basic Account - Requirements (English)

https://www.banamex.com/en/personas/cuentas/tarjetas_debito/cuenta_base.htm

BBVA Bancomer did not list separate requirements foreigners. My local branch wanted to see my Resident card but did not enter any information from it - only my passport.

Bancomer Requirements for basic account (Use Google Translate)
Libretón - BBVA Bancomer

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
If you increase your daily ATM limit with your US bank, why not just use that method for cash. We lived happily in Mexico for 13 years without a Mexican bank account. They do not behave like US banks and are often a hassle.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
We lived happily in Mexico for 13 years without a Mexican bank account. They do not behave like US banks and are often a hassle.
I believe that you are missing some personal experience here.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Keeping a lot of pesos over the last six months would have been a real bad idea
If I could have read the future, I would have waited until today. Unless, of course, the peso will drop even more in the future. Aside from that, I use pesos everyday and bought them when I needed them.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Wish we could have polls on this board........
My guess is the Peso will top out at 17 x $1..........Hit 16 x 1 today....
I'm afraid to guess. A few weeks ago, I said that the peso would never hit 15.60. Oops, my bad!

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.