Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible to open an Australian bank account from India and need a credit card too . is there any possible way ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
yes you can open one and transfer funds to the Australian account, but the branch will keep your card until you arrive and show "100 Points" of Identification. (Passport, Drivers License, Birth Certificate, ID Card etc).

So its possible to basically open and transfer funds into AUD and then in the first week go to a branch, show your ID and get a card and then all your funds are available in AUD.

All the Major Banks have International Student / Visa divisions that handle this scenario. (Check on their websites).

They will give you a Visa debit Card, not sure how you will go with getting Credit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont have much money with me. I have got only 900$with me right now. i guess i can manage 1 month with that, so i need a job right away or a credit card to sustain after a month :(

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
i dont have much money with me. I have got only 900$with me right now. i guess i can manage 1 month with that, so i need a job right away or a credit card to sustain after a month :(
Hang on, 900$ will not cover you for one month. Dont do this to yourself, its not easy to find a job and it does tske time to find a job. I hope you are coming alone. .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes i am coming alone. i planned for more money,but at last minute it all failed, i dont want to come,but still i booked my flights earlier itself :(
so just trying my luck over there. still i got iphone and ipad and few ornaments i plalnned to sell over there in some pawn shop.. I know it sounds crazy, but i dont have anyother way.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
yes i am coming alone. i planned for more money,but at last minute it all failed, i dont want to come,but still i booked my flights earlier itself :(
so just trying my luck over there. still i got iphone and ipad and few ornaments i plalnned to sell over there in some pawn shop.. I know it sounds crazy, but i dont have anyother way.
If I was in your place I would have stayed back, save some money and then go to another country. All the best mate!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
you wont credit card that easily in Aus. You need a bank balance, a job and you need to show them that you'll pay the bills on time. In you're situation its impossible.. unless you have someone in bank :p

·
Registered
960 Posts
Credit card is not to sustain when you have no money. Obtaining a credit card and defaulting payments is very easy in India but not in most other countries.
Not only, job and good bank balance. You'll be even required to provide 1-2 references to obtain as card.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Dude, don't push your luck this much. Like one wise man once said, better safe than sorry. Just save more money before going there. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck dude.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
You should first save more money, arrange for at-least 4-6 months of monthly expenses and then travel.

Monthly budget - AUD 2000 to 3000 (ALL depends on individuals lifestyle)...so do your calculations now.

This will help you in leading a stress free life and you would be able to cope with interview pressure very easily.

Take it easy, as you are moving to a different Country and not a State within India.

All The Best...in whatever you decide...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Are you done with validation? If not you could get it done in this trip and return to India and arrange for finances. If not, the wise thing would be to reschedule to a later date.

And yeah, you will need finances enough to sustain for 4-6 months in the worst case(atleast 7k-8k AUD). Once you are in Australia you could take up part-time casual jobs to support yourself financially until you get a job in your area of interest.

Reactions: imranrk

·
Registered
750 Posts
That money is not even enough for a month! Please cancel your flight tickets and save before coming over. If you default or get into financial hardships(clearly already in one) once coming here, getting out of the pit will be extremely difficult, if not impossible. Why are you rushing?

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
No bank will give you a credit card without a job and some amount of savings. They are not for use in these kinds of situations. As others have said you should reconsider moving until after you have saved enough to survive for a few months without work. $900 will not even cover your basic living expenses for a month.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts