Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Banana Bag from Lakeland Plastics as it's supposed to keep your nanas edible for up to 2 weeks in the fridge. We eat bananas every day and in the heat here they never last very long,soon ripen and I always seemed to be throwing them out. However, with the purchase of this shocking yellow,drawstring bag, there's no more binned bananas! It really does what it says it does. After a few days in the bag, in the salad drawer in the fridge, the banana skins do turn very dark, almost black BUT the fruit inside is still creamy coloured and perfect. I can recommend this bag to any serious bananaphiles!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
We have a lot of banana smoothies. Why? When our bananas start to turn, I slice them and freeze them - for banana smoothies...

We have potato and onion bags that protect the veg - no light means slower metabolism for the decaying entities.

·
Registered
15,734 Posts
Sounds good! Presumably it works by inhibiting ethylene production. What's it made of? Is it more effective than an ordinary paper bag in the fridge?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a double lined plastic- type- fabric drawstring bag!After almost 2 weeks in fridge, the bananas were still perfect even though their skins were black.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
My in-laws have always wrapped their bananas in several layers of newspaper and kept them in the bottom of the fridge and they survive just as passiflora described.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts