Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Experts... I need your help regard the balance outstanding in Australia...
If we have any debit remained in Australia, any effect on visa 190 or 489?
Share your views....

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Only if it's outstanding debt to the government, e.g. unpaid taxes. If you have credit cards or consumer debt, those aren't an issue.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot

·
Registered
83 Posts
If the debt is owed to a private party then I believe that the private parties usually wait for a certain period for the debt to be paid, then pursue a follow-up with the borrower and if that still does not work then they can possibly file criminal charges. In such a case the borrower may end up having a police record which might lead to background check/police clearance issues.

·
Super Moderator
1,721 Posts
Where did you get this info?? One of our friend had a very bad credit history cause he never paid his outstanding dues for gas/phone but never got criminal charges against him. All they do is to have the defaulter name in their record/data for 7 years and then delete it. But ofcourse 7 years is a long time so defaulter can't borrow any loan or purchase stuff on credit etc.

Girl Aussie

If the debt is owed to a private party then I believe that the private parties usually wait for a certain period for the debt to be paid, then pursue a follow-up with the borrower and if that still does not work then they can possibly file criminal charges. In such a case the borrower may end up having a police record which might lead to background check/police clearance issues.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Collectors can sue for a debt of any amount. In such a situation ignoring the summons could be a problem and the defaulter could be booked for contempt of court and possibly face arrest

Companies usually do not go through so much trouble over paltry utility bills. But in case of huge debts/loans companies can choose to take the legal route.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Even if you're sued for outstanding debt, it's still not debt to the government.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts