Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys as some of you know I am in the middle of sorting out my wife's spouse visa to the UK, my wife is a Filipina and is working in Malta. I am just wondering if her visa did ever get rejected my plan B is to move to Malta where she works and I will find work there too. Is it easy to change her working visa to a spouse visa? if so are we then free to travel around the EU (not UK) and work in other countries etc?

Thanks

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
If you move to Malta and get a job, she can apply for residence card as family member of an EU citizen exercising treaty right. While she can travel throughout EEA with you on her residence card, it doesn't allow her to work unless you become a qualified person in another state and she applies for residence card there. After 5 years on residence card, she can apply for permanent residence, and then she will be able to work in most but not all EEA countries if you are going with her. Exceptions include UK, Ireland and Denmark (I seem to remember). To work in UK, she needs to qualify under Surinder Singh provision.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.