Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to go study abroad in paris with a child. How much do you think babysitters charge there? Are they easy to find? i want to avoid the agencies to save on agency fees. I will need to find a babysitter for my child before ecole maternelle starts, by the way when does it start september or october?

·
Administrator
51,543 Posts
"Le babysitting" is kind of a new phenomenon in France - and not terribly common on a professional level. Depending on the age of your child, you can probably make use of a crêche or halte garderie run by the city. Fees depend on your income.

Children start attending the maternelle in most towns as soon as they are "clean" (i.e. potty trained). The term generally begins the first week in September, but I believe it's possible to enroll a child mid-term.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Le babysitting" is kind of a new phenomenon in France - and not terribly common on a professional level. Depending on the age of your child, you can probably make use of a crêche or halte garderie run by the city. Fees depend on your income.

Children start attending the maternelle in most towns as soon as they are "clean" (i.e. potty trained). The term generally begins the first week in September, but I believe it's possible to enroll a child mid-term.
Cheers,
Bev
what about college students I heard that it is possible to find a part time babysitter? at least until school starts? Do creches and halte gardiens also open back up in sept? are they open in august at all?
I wonder what do parents do I they need to work during the summer?

·
Administrator
51,543 Posts
Some high school and college students do baby sitting, but usually only if they're familiar with such "expat ways." The issue over the summer is that families often clear out for their summer homes in the country, so finding an "off-duty" high school or college student may not be that easy.

Based on my observations (don't have kids of my own), during the summer, most people drop the kids with Grandma and Grandpa.

Some towns (and thus I suppose some arrondissements in Paris) do organize summer creches and little activities for kids to keep them occupied while Mom and Dad have to work.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.