Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I all, I am applying for my 175 today as I got my skills assessment through but I just realised I don't have a passport for my newborn baby. If i wait for baby's passport to come through i will miss the july 1st deadline. Should I go ahead and apply for just myself and my husband and add my baby on afterwards or will this cause any bother?

·
Registered
550 Posts
IrishAussie said:
I all, I am applying for my 175 today as I got my skills assessment through but I just realised I don't have a passport for my newborn baby. If i wait for baby's passport to come through i will miss the july 1st deadline. Should I go ahead and apply for just myself and my husband and add my baby on afterwards or will this cause any bother?
You can apply without baby passport and then quickly get the baby passport.

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks, do you mean apply putting the baby's name on the application but no passport number? I thought all applicants needed a passport to be included.

·
Registered
550 Posts
IrishAussie said:
Ok thanks, do you mean apply putting the baby's name on the application but no passport number? I thought all applicants needed a passport to be included.
IrishAussie said:
Well sorry... I was responding from the document-upload point of view. Slipped my mind that you have to quote the passport number in the application form. Nowhere does the application form states that it is mandatory for the passport of the child to have been issued. You can always write 'applied' against the field for the child and then upload it later.

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I'll see if I can write 'applied' beside where it asks for passport number.

No unfortunately it has to be sent home for and will take 6 weeks for the passport to be returned.

Has anyone had a similar experience of applying while waiting for a spouse's passport or anything similar?

G

·
I doubt it will let you move on without the passport number if applying online!

General Skilled Migration

If you, or any family member, do not currently hold a passport, or need to renew a passport, please do so before lodging your application so the certified copies of the relevant pages can be included in your application.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah that's what I thought shel, thanks. Would it be okay to apply for just myself and my husband and add the baby in a few weeks time? Or did I read about someone else having to pay a really high fee to do this?

G

·
Not sure about that one. People add babies later but that would usually be if the baby was not born when they apply! Not seen anyone do what you are suggesting but it might be ok.
You wouldnt pay anymore fees as it's per application not person bar the extra fee for those that can not speak English (children not included).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks shel, you've been very helpful. I guess it is an unusual situation and maybe I'd be better to phone DIAC in Tuesday.

G

·
Nope Tuesday is a bank holiday. Australia House in London get our bank hols and the Australian ones!

You would actually do better either asking an agent or finding someone who has done the same. The clerks answering the phone at Australia House are civil servants who process visas. They are not experts in migration rules or law by any means.
For example when I was applying for my sons visa I had my CO insist I was the sponsor not my hubby. This was despite me explaining he was a citizen and I a temp resident and I was not able to sponsor. I ended up sending a link to the DIAC site which explained as much and got an email in return saying yes my hubby was the sponsor! So in other words they may not give you the correct advice!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi IrishAussie,

Did you get any info on this issue.. I am also on the same boat and wanted to understand if we can add our child later to the application.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks shel, you've been very helpful. I guess it is an unusual situation and maybe I'd be better to phone DIAC in Tuesday.
Hi IrishAussie. Did you get an update on the issue? Is the passport for a baby mandatory? My brother is in same situation and there is no time for new passport even on expedited basis. We are trying to decide whether to applying without the baby or not. If you got an update, it will be great to know.

thanks
-becky

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi,

i am in the same boat.... could some one help with this query

We had a new entrant on the 7-Jun-2012 and the baby is 17 days old. We currently have applied for Birth certificate (it takes 15 to 20 days to get the birth certificate) then another 5 days to get Passport.

Due to 30th June deadline i cannot afford to wait for my daughter's passport, can i apply for the 175 visa and later add my daughters name in that?

Regards
Anand

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

i am in the same boat.... could some one help with this query

We had a new entrant on the 7-Jun-2012 and the baby is 17 days old. We currently have applied for Birth certificate (it takes 15 to 20 days to get the birth certificate) then another 5 days to get Passport.

Due to 30th June deadline i cannot afford to wait for my daughter's passport, can i apply for the 175 visa and later add my daughters name in that?

Regards
Anand
Hi world2009,

We called DIAC helpline and queried. Initially the helpdesk person said it is not possible to apply without passport. However on insisting him to be absolutely sure whether it is a requirement, he checked with his superior and confirmed that as long as the main applicant has got passport an application can be submitted without the dependants having a passport. However there are few things to remember:
1. You cannot apply online. The application has to be through paper copy. We have already faced this hurdle and hence had raised the query. So, it gives me confidence that the helpdesk supervisor knew what he/she was talking about.
2. The birth certificate or any other valid/acceptable document has to be present with the application to establish age (and indirectly identity) of the applicant.
3. The passport has to be submitted ASAP without which the processing will stop as the visa cannot be granted without a passport.

I have to admit that I was not very clear about the date for the point 3. All I understand is that at some point of time the case will stop progressing without passport for everybody. That cannot be helped but we are more keen to get the application filed before the deadline and it should not be treated as invalid at a later date.

I hope this helps. However, you can always check with DIAC again.

all the best.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi world2009,

We called DIAC helpline and queried. Initially the helpdesk person said it is not possible to apply without passport. However on insisting him to be absolutely sure whether it is a requirement, he checked with his superior and confirmed that as long as the main applicant has got passport an application can be submitted without the dependants having a passport. However there are few things to remember:
1. You cannot apply online. The application has to be through paper copy. We have already faced this hurdle and hence had raised the query. So, it gives me confidence that the helpdesk supervisor knew what he/she was talking about.
2. The birth certificate or any other valid/acceptable document has to be present with the application to establish age (and indirectly identity) of the applicant.
3. The passport has to be submitted ASAP without which the processing will stop as the visa cannot be granted without a passport.

I have to admit that I was not very clear about the date for the point 3. All I understand is that at some point of time the case will stop progressing without passport for everybody. That cannot be helped but we are more keen to get the application filed before the deadline and it should not be treated as invalid at a later date.

I hope this helps. However, you can always check with DIAC again.

all the best.
I also called up the DIAC to enquire about this. Basically if you have added your child as a migrating dependent without giving correct values for the passport then it could affect the visa application if you don't provide the passport details before the application is finalized.

The helpdesk person however mentioned that if you have them in other categories like non-migrating, then through a change of circumstances form you can change it.

I had also raised a general enquiry on adding dependents to the application and the attached document I got from DIAC clearly shows that I can Add a New Born or a Child before the application is finalized.

In my case, this is what I have done:
1)Didn't add any dependent to my online application apart from my wife.
2)But have declared my daughter as a other dependents as putting her in any other category means you are giving a incorrect information.
3)Hopefully I will get her passport before july 20 and then I will raise a change in circumstances form to add her into my application.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
I also called up the DIAC to enquire about this. Basically if you have added your child as a migrating dependent without giving correct values for the passport then it could affect the visa application if you don't provide the passport details before the application is finalized.

The helpdesk person however mentioned that if you have them in other categories like non-migrating, then through a change of circumstances form you can change it.

I had also raised a general enquiry on adding dependents to the application and the attached document I got from DIAC clearly shows that I can Add a New Born or a Child before the application is finalized.

In my case, this is what I have done:
1)Didn't add any dependent to my online application apart from my wife.
2)But have declared my daughter as a other dependents as putting her in any other category means you are giving a incorrect information.
3)Hopefully I will get her passport before july 20 and then I will raise a change in circumstances form to add her into my application.

Thanks Rebecca 2000 and migrateToAus i am bit relieved now. I have found a reliable migration agent in Bangalore (MARA registered) and he also advised the same. I have submitted all the docs to him and he will be lodging the application

Thanks once again

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well i applied for 176 Online on 31-05-2012 with the following circumstances through my agent
1) My wife had old passport (before marriage)
2) No Passport of my daughter.

But my agent still managed to apply for my application. According to him ASAP i will have to get the passport and he will update their information ......

I am still looking for CO to be assigned. What i assume, my agent just applied Online application and Pay DIAC fee and haven't yet submit documents, that's why no CO allocated to my application yet .......

Regards,
Shoaib Anwar

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Millinium.
It appears that you have got a CO. How are things moving along especially with the passport front. Just wanted to know. Hope all is well.
cheers.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine was a similar case. Had lodged my 175 on June by declaring my daughter as other dependent as she didn't had a passport.

I uploaded change in circumstances form and then raised a post-lodgment query through DIAC web site to include my daughter as a migrating dependent to my my application stating the reason and the proofs. After 4 days, my application was moved to ABPF and my daughter was included into my application.

DIAC also confirmed it through a email stating my visa application is a valid one and listed all the details in a PDF. Though the application is moved to ABPF, the CO is yet to be allocated.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.