Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that starting March 1st 2014, the formerly known baby bonus will be replaced with increase rate in the Family Tax Benefit Part A. On the centrelink site, it mentioned that The extra Family Tax Benefit Part A payments for families will total $2,000 for their first child and $1,000 for subsequent children. It will be paid as an initial instalment of $500, with the rest rolled into normal fortnightly payments over a three month period.
My question is this. I will be moving to Melbourne in Nov 2017 and will be expecting the birth of my 4th child in January 2018. Since this is my 4th baby (but 1st to be born in Australia), will I get a total of 1000 from the FTB Part A or 2000?
When they mention that the subsequent payment will be paid fortnightly over 3 months period, does that mean I will have the remaining 1500 (assuming I get 2000) or 500 (assuming I get 1000), coming in 250 or 83 fortnightly respectively?

Besides the above, what other family claim benefit can I apply for? In the mean time, my husband will be proactively looking for a job. We hope we don't have to rely on centrelink for our survival but I'm just preparing for the worst outcome.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, can someone share more on the Parental Leave Pay? I am currently working in Malaysia until I move to Australia in Nov 2017. Will I still be eligible to apply for Parental Leave Pay?

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
I understand that starting March 1st 2014, the formerly known baby bonus will be replaced with increase rate in the Family Tax Benefit Part A. On the centrelink site, it mentioned that The extra Family Tax Benefit Part A payments for families will total $2,000 for their first child and $1,000 for subsequent children. It will be paid as an initial instalment of $500, with the rest rolled into normal fortnightly payments over a three month period.
My question is this. I will be moving to Melbourne in Nov 2017 and will be expecting the birth of my 4th child in January 2018. Since this is my 4th baby (but 1st to be born in Australia), will I get a total of 1000 from the FTB Part A or 2000?
When they mention that the subsequent payment will be paid fortnightly over 3 months period, does that mean I will have the remaining 1500 (assuming I get 2000) or 500 (assuming I get 1000), coming in 250 or 83 fortnightly respectively?

Besides the above, what other family claim benefit can I apply for? In the mean time, my husband will be proactively looking for a job. We hope we don't have to rely on centrelink for our survival but I'm just preparing for the worst outcome.

It won't be your first child, so I imagine it will be $1000. $500 initial payment and the remainder spread fortnightly over 3 months. I'm not sure but this payment might have morphed int0 the Newborn Upfront Payment and Supplement: https://www.humanservices.gov.au/cu...ewborn-upfront-payment-and-newborn-supplement - that would apparently be about $1080.
You would need to claim and be receiving FTA to get the maximum Newborn Payment.

I doubt you will be eligible for Parental Leave Pay as this requires that you meet a Work Test, meaning you must have worked for 10 of the 13 months before the birth of the child - I suspect this means work in Australia, but you'd have to check.

You will still be able to claim FTA, and Childcare support if needed, (unless your income is too high) but I wouldn't plan to rely on Centrelink - normal Centrelink income support payments are not payable until you have two years residence.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It won't be your first child, so I imagine it will be $1000. $500 initial payment and the remainder spread fortnightly over 3 months. I'm not sure but this payment might have morphed int0 the Newborn Upfront Payment and Supplement: https://www.humanservices.gov.au/cu...ewborn-upfront-payment-and-newborn-supplement - that would apparently be about $1080.
You would need to claim and be receiving FTA to get the maximum Newborn Payment.

I doubt you will be eligible for Parental Leave Pay as this requires that you meet a Work Test, meaning you must have worked for 10 of the 13 months before the birth of the child - I suspect this means work in Australia, but you'd have to check.

You will still be able to claim FTA, and Childcare support if needed, (unless your income is too high) but I wouldn't plan to rely on Centrelink - normal Centrelink income support payments are not payable until you have two years residence.
Thanks Kaju for the prompt response. However I read in the Parental Leave Pay eligibility, the work test also take into consideration if you have worked overseas. But this is still too vague as it did not mention that the working overseas has to be under an Australian employer or simply for the fact that I was working in my home country before moving to Australia.

Hope anyone with similar experience who have claimed under the Parental Leave Pay is able to advise on this.

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
Thanks Kaju for the prompt response. However I read in the Parental Leave Pay eligibility, the work test days before the birth of the child. also take into consideration if you have worked overseas. But this is still too vague as it did not mention that the working overseas has to be under an Australian employer or simply for the fact that I was working in my home country before moving to Australia.

Hope anyone with similar experience who have claimed under the Parental Leave Pay is able to advise on this.
I had a quick look at the relevant legislation, looks like an Australian employer is not required, simply that you must have performed work "(whether as an employee, a contractor or otherwise and whether or not in Australia) for another entity...".

You need to have worked for 295 days in the 392 days before the birth of the child.

But of course the only real confirmation will come when you check/apply with Centrelink, and they make the assessment. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.