Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

We're moving to France later on this year with our 8 month old son and whilst I have lived in France before, I don't know anything about life with a baby there!

Can you tell me how we ensure that he continues all the regular check-ups and vaccinations in France that he has started in the UK? Is it just a case of taking his red book with me and registering with a local GP?

Is there a French equivalent of child benefit/family tax credits? If so, would we be eligible for it? My son has dual French/British nationality and my husband is French and will be working as a physiotherapist.

Also, are there the equivalent of playgroups/mother and baby groups and if so, how do I find out about the ones in the local area? I'm guessing that there are... As we're moving to Ardeche, I'm a bit concerned that I will be a bit isolated so want to join some of the local groups if they exist...

I have some other questions about me working but I'll put them in another post that is not baby-related!

Thanks in advance for any answers :)

Lizzie

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hello,

Can you tell me how we ensure that he continues all the regular check-ups and vaccinations in France that he has started in the UK? Is it just a case of taking his red book with me and registering with a local GP?
It is up to you to choose your local GP/ pediatrician. Only Tetanos, diphteria and polio immunisation are mandatory in France. Usually doctors will follow with whatever has been already administrated to your child, pertussis, tuberculosis, measles etc...

Is there a French equivalent of child benefit/family tax credits? If so, would we be eligible for it? My son has dual French/British nationality and my husband is French and will be working as a physiotherapist.
With one kid, you should benefit a credit on your income tax. I can't remember the amount, my husband told me 5 years ago and I forgot since.

Also, are there the equivalent of playgroups/mother and baby groups and if so, how do I find out about the ones in the local area? I'm guessing that there are... As we're moving to Ardeche, I'm a bit concerned that I will be a bit isolated so want to join some of the local groups if they exist...
Check with your local PMI PMI 07 - Tous les centres de l'Ardèche there is usually a weekly parent / baby playgroup.

Good luck with everything

·
Administrator
51,972 Posts
You may want to get in touch with the English language mothers' group Message. Message | Parents Support Group While they are a Paris area group, they seem to have developed a few "clusters" of remote members and if there is such a group in your area, it's a good way to network.

Otherwise, they do have lots of information about health care for little ones in France and probably some information about the allocation familliale.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
157 Posts
You should qualify for the PAJE, which is 180 euros/mo until the child's third birthday. You don't receive an allocation familiale unless you have two or more children (it's 122 euros a month). It is retroactive so even if you wait to apply for it you will receive the amount they owe you from when you became eligible.

On your tax returns your child counts as .5 of a person.

Vaccines should be no problem. You just have to bring the records to the pediatrician and they will determine what to do next. My son was born in the US and the schedule was slightly different, but they continued the ones he had had even though they weren't mandatory in France. But some vaccines, such as Rotarix, are not reimbursed at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.