Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

just after some information. We are traveling to Canada next year on the WHP visas, traveling via LA.

Now, we have B1/B2 Tourist visa's for when we wish to visit the US on our Working Holiday. I'm getting conflicting information that at immigration in LA, as we are only transiting, we will need to show either strong ties to our home country, or that we need to show proof of a job/residence in Canada to be admissible.

Proof of a job will be impossible as we won't have them until we get into Canada, same goes for a residence. We do own a house in Australia (home country) and if required we will have more than enough funds to book a return ticket to australia if it becomes a problem at boarder control.

Can anyone clear this up. Will I need to show strong ties back home or will the fact we have onwards tickets to Canada with the WHP letters be enough?

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
No one can tell what an IO will do. You are not the first and will not be the last Australian entering the US through LAX to fly to Canada. You have your WHP in hand and your tickets to Canada. Have a save trip:>)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks twostep, I'm finding out that it is very much up to the IO as to what they will do, some have had the b1/b2, some only the Visa waiver. Apparently on the cbp.gov site if you come from a country that is eligible under the VWP that you have to have an ETSA regardless of the visa type you are on.

We have the b1/b2 and I arranged to get the ETSA sorted yesterday, so all our bases are covered.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Thanks twostep, I'm finding out that it is very much up to the IO as to what they will do, some have had the b1/b2, some only the Visa waiver. Apparently on the cbp.gov site if you come from a country that is eligible under the VWP that you have to have an ETSA regardless of the visa type you are on.

We have the b1/b2 and I arranged to get the ETSA sorted yesterday, so all our bases are covered.
Super! Please keep us posted. Remember - it is cold in Canada in Winter!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts