Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you withdraw funds from your Bank of America account at a Santander ATM, you will now incur the same 3% transaction fee as you do when you swipe your card.

I was surprised to see an overdraft fee on my account, and 3 more on their way, this morning. Although I know they are at liberty to change their fees at any time, I contacted the bank and let them know just how unprofessional I thought it was that I was not notified of the change. There is much more to the conversation but I will not have to pay the $140 in over draft fees or the original $10.26 in international transaction fees that set the whole thing off.

Thought it would be worth mentioning since many of you go that route for banking...

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Thanks for the heads up but this was reported Sept.16th. and has had 59 replies so far and if you scroll down about 3 threads you will see it......

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
No wait, there's more. Was just told by a fellow expat that the fee is $5.00 or 3%, whichever is greater of the two.
Not true. Since this awful new regulation went into effect, I've had several deductions made that were less than $5.00, between 19 and 94 cents each.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the heads up but this was reported Sept.16th. and has had 59 replies so far and if you scroll down about 3 threads you will see it......
Sorry you had to read it twice. I did not read that thread as I don't frequent this forum because of the responses and attitude I got from the get-go. However, I came over here solely to post this thread so that it may help someone avoid the situation I fell into because I hadn't been informed of the change.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not true. Since this awful new regulation went into effect, I've had several deductions made that were less than $5.00, between 19 and 94 cents each.
Thank you! That is great to know. I sure am going to miss being able to withdraw for free... We've been spoiled all these years! ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
Thank you! That is great to know. I sure am going to miss being able to withdraw for free... We've been spoiled all these years! ;)
Me too! But I have been busy rearranging my finances, so I won't have to pay that ridiculous fee ever again.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Hi, Emily. Glad to see you posting. I hope you'll consider continuing on the forum. If you haven't yet, you could check the thread from Nov 18 on La Chatarreria - you are mentioned in a couple of posts. I think from the responses you will see there are many (I believe most) people who agree with trying to create an atmosphere on the forum which is respectful and welcoming. As Isla pointed out on that thread some of the more provocative posters do make the forum livelier, but that needs to be balaced with maintaining a line of respect for others' experiences, viewpoints etc. Not always an easy task. I figure using the forum to thicken my skin a bit will be good for me.:D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, Emily. Glad to see you posting. I hope you'll consider continuing on the forum. If you haven't yet, you could check the thread from Nov 18 on La Chatarreria - you are mentioned in a couple of posts. I think from the responses you will see there are many (I believe most) people who agree with trying to create an atmosphere on the forum which is respectful and welcoming. As Isla pointed out on that thread some of the more provocative posters do make the forum livelier, but that needs to be balaced with maintaining a line of respect for others' experiences, viewpoints etc. Not always an easy task. I figure using the forum to thicken my skin a bit will be good for me.:D
I did see your post and thank you for it. I would love to stick around here but again struggle with the tone. I've never seen so many adults be so disrespectful to each other. And the odd thing is that no one seems to mind? Twilight zone?

I am going to give it a second chance as I feel there just might be a handful of people here who could teach me a great deal about Mexico without belittling me in the process.

Thank you again and I'm glad you were able to take something away from my blog, even though our paths are different.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Sorry you had to read it twice. I did not read that thread as I don't frequent this forum because of the responses and attitude I got from the get-go. However, I came over here solely to post this thread so that it may help someone avoid the situation I fell into because I hadn't been informed of the change.

Dear Emily, I am sorry if my reply to you post seemed curt, I led off thanking you for the heads up... I believe you took the rest of my message the wrong way, if I did seem to be disrespectful again I apologize and hope to read your further contributions to this board..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Me too! But I have been busy rearranging my finances, so I won't have to pay that ridiculous fee ever again.
Isla Verde, how are you rearranging your banking to avoid these fees? I'm REALLY interested. Will be in DF for six months starting Jan 1. Need to get it together now.

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
Isla Verde, how are you rearranging your banking to avoid these fees? I'm REALLY interested. Will be in DF for six months starting Jan 1. Need to get it together now.
To tell the truth, it's only halfway done. It was easy to change banks for direct deposit of my US Social Security pension from BofA (curse you!) to Santander, where I've had an account for several years. I was able to do it over the phone with the FBU at the US Embassy. That's the office (or unit] that deals with federal benefits. My other pension is administered by JP Morgan and changing the bank for direct deposit with them will be rather complicated, so I'm leaving it for now. In any event, my SS check covers my usual monthly expenses, so I won't be incurring that awful 3% charge very much.

Rereading your message, I see you will only be here for six months, so all of this information may not be useful for you. Will you be working in Mexico City?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm co-teaching a university student group from here (USA) for the first couple of weeks of January in D.F. and Oaxaca. Then, I'll be at the Universidad Panamericana until mid-May to get my TEFL. After that, I'll be job hunting and will, hopefully, nail something down before my 180 days are up so I can do the visa trámites on both sides of the border. I am a Spanish teacher here in the U.S. but am looking to move permanently to México (lived there before). New immigration rules are making this all more difficult, but I hope to work it out. My present credit union takes an arm and a leg when I make withdrawals in México. Some people say Scwab. Some say B of A. It seems there are no easy answers, and you end up giving a lot of money to the "evil banks." :) I know you work in D.F. I'd love to meet you some time.

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
I'm co-teaching a university student group from here (USA) for the first couple of weeks of January in D.F. and Oaxaca. Then, I'll be at the Universidad Panamericana until mid-May to get my TEFL. After that, I'll be job hunting and will, hopefully, nail something down before my 180 days are up so I can do the visa trámites on both sides of the border. I am a Spanish teacher here in the U.S. but am looking to move permanently to México (lived there before). New immigration rules are making this all more difficult, but I hope to work it out. My present credit union takes an arm and a leg when I make withdrawals in México. Some people say Scwab. Some say B of A. It seems there are no easy answers, and you end up giving a lot of money to the "evil banks." :) I know you work in D.F. I'd love to meet you some time.
In my other life, I was a Spanish teacher. Now I'm a sort-of retired English teacher. I'd love to meet you while you're here in Mexico City. Bank of America used to be the way to go, but with the recent changes they've made, it's no longer a good choice. I've heard that having an account with Schwab is a good idea, but you need a US address and driver's license to open an account, of which I have neither. But it might be a possibility for you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thank you for your observations about banking. I will have my sister's address here, so that will work. I'll make certain to get in touch with you when I get settled. Wish me luck!

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
Thank you for your observations about banking. I will have my sister's address here, so that will work. I'll make certain to get in touch with you when I get settled. Wish me luck!
Once you've made 5 posts here, you can send me a PM, so we can figure out how to get in touch away from the Expat Forum. ¡Buena suerte!

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
You did it - you've now got five posts and can send me a PM. Looking forward to hearing from you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.