Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

A mate of mine has completed B.E (Civil Engineering) but has been working in the IT sector (Programmer Analyst) for over 9+ years now.

Question: Who should be the assessor? is it ACS (or) RPL route (or) EA? Your response at the earliest is highly appreciated as he is planning to take his assessment ASAP.

Reactions: rponnuch

·
Registered
90 Posts
If your friend claiming points for skills he should be assessed by ACS.

If not, if wants to assess his degree alone then by EA

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
If your friend claiming points for skills he should be assessed by ACS.

If not, if wants to assess his degree alone then by EA
No. Which assessing authority you go to depends on your nominated occupation. If OP wants to apply for a skilled PR visa under an IT related ANZSCO, then s/he has to approach ACS. ANZSCO vs. assessing organization are listed here: Skilled Occupations List (SOL)

Irrespective of claiming employment points, you have to get positively assessed by your ANZSCO certifying authority (from the link above) to be eligible to apply under the skilled migration program. If you don't have the certificate of being skilled in your nominated occupation, you aren't really eligible.

And yes, as for the education points, if the skill assessing authority does not assess your degree, then you have to find out who else does and get it assessed from them.

·
Registered
391 Posts
From the information you have provided, I'm going to assume that your friend will apply for 2613 occupation, Analyst Programmer, possibly.

If the above is true, you will have to go with RPL. Here's the premise on which I am suggesting RPL for you; I took up RPL, primarily because I am from E&C stream of engineering and not from computer science (Though we had a few subjects covering CS). For the RPL application, one has to provide detailed evidence of skills gained with reference to the "Area of Knowledge", which is pretty comprehensive. This is to prove to ACS, that inspite of you having come from a non-computer science background, you are able to perform activities that is required of a computer science professional.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the information you have provided, I'm going to assume that your friend will apply for 2613 occupation, Analyst Programmer, possibly.

If the above is true, you will have to go with RPL. Here's the premise on which I am suggesting RPL for you; I took up RPL, primarily because I am from E&C stream of engineering and not from computer science (Though we had a few subjects covering CS). For the RPL application, one has to provide detailed evidence of skills gained with reference to the "Area of Knowledge", which is pretty comprehensive. This is to prove to ACS, that inspite of you having come from a non-computer science background, you are able to perform activities that is required of a computer science professional.
Thank you all for the response. Final question, if he does take RPL route, should he have his educational qualification assessed by a different authority? (VETASSESS or EA)? or just RPL is sufficient?

·
Registered
973 Posts
As his Degree (B.E Civil) is not IT ACS will only assess his skills and not his qualifications.
so his letter provided by ACS will only mention his skills to be qualified and there will be no mention of the qualification. SO based on the ACS letter he will not be able to claim any points for qualifications (15 points for graduation)

For getting his Degree assessed alone to qualify for the 15 points he will have to go via the vetassess points test advise. Where you get your degree alone assessed for claiming the points.
Here is the link for the same...
Skills Assessment for Migration - VETASSESS

Hope this helps.

Thank you all for the response. Final question, if he does take RPL route, should he have his educational qualification assessed by a different authority? (VETASSESS or EA)? or just RPL is sufficient?

·
Registered
66 Posts
i am in a similar position, i got my BEng (Computer Systems) but worked in IT for the past 10 years... does that mean i need to get a letter from ACS for work experience and EA for my degree?

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
i am in a similar position, i got my BEng (Computer Systems) but worked in IT for the past 10 years... does that mean i need to get a letter from ACS for work experience and EA for my degree?
If you are approaching ACS, they will assess your degree as well (since it is an IT degree). You don't have to approach anybody else.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you are approaching ACS, they will assess your degree as well (since it is an IT degree). You don't have to approach anybody else.
thanks, means most probably they'll just deduct 2 years from my work experience:fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
667 Posts
As there is no Computer related occupation in SOL from EA you have to approach to ACS.

@OP If possible I'd get EA for civil engineering because Software developers are in pro-rata, meaning that assuming your friend gets the same points after assessment the EA occupation will get quicker invite.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As there is no Computer related occupation in SOL from EA you have to approach to ACS. @OP If possible I'd get EA for civil engineering because Software developers are in pro-rata, meaning that assuming your friend gets the same points after assessment the EA occupation will get quicker invite.
spark - I am confused. He has got a BE degree with Civil Engineering. However all is work (since 1st job) has been in IT !

So how can EA assess (wouldn't they be assessing job as well?)

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think the point here is if your friend can get 60 points without counting any points for the work experience, it might better to get assessed as a Civil Engineer. EA doesn't require any work experience to assess you as "skilled". So your friend could apply without claiming any points for work experience (considering he can reach 60 points without work experience).

On the other hand, if your friend cannot reach 60 points without work experience, then he'll need to get assessed from ACS. They'll deduct 6 years from his experience because of a non IT degree which will get him down to 3 years of skilled work which gives him 5 points. However, in order to get points for his Bachelors, he'll need to get an assessment with Vetassess as well (if ACS doesn't assess the degree, which it normally doesn't for unrelated degrees).

Software engineering is in pro rata, so it could take a few months to get an invite if he has less than 65 points. With Civil Engineering, he'd get an immediate invite even with 60 points.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
As there is no Computer related occupation in SOL from EA you have to approach to ACS.

@OP If possible I'd get EA for civil engineering because Software developers are in pro-rata, meaning that assuming your friend gets the same points after assessment the EA occupation will get quicker invite.
@OP has 9+ years of IT experience. If he goes via ACS, then even with 6 years deduction, he can still benefit from 5 points for 3+ years of work experience. If EA without work experience gives him 60 points, then ACS with 3+ years of work experience will give him 65, which is a better score even if 2613 is pro-rated. Moreover, ACS is much more quicker as compared to EA. EA needs IELTS, while there is no such requirement for ACS. EA needs a lot more documentation than ACS. IMO, @OP will be better off with ACS under his ICT occupation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Friends,

I am going to apply for ACS assessment through RPL route. Is it possible to apply both ACS and RPL at one go or should i need to apply for ACS first and wait for the result, then apply for RPL.

My major in study is B.E.Civil Engineering. I have prepared the ACS documents, and need to start preparing RPL document. So i was in a dilemma, whether to apply for assessment now or to apply for assessment after preparing RPL document.

My understanding is that i need to prepare RPL document for two project( one worked in past three year and other for a project worked in past five year). Kindly confirm whether my understanding is correct and should i need to include the details of two project in single document or i need to prepare two word document detailing two project.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Hi Friends,

I am going to apply for ACS assessment through RPL route. Is it possible to apply both ACS and RPL at one go or should i need to apply for ACS first and wait for the result, then apply for RPL.

My major in study is B.E.Civil Engineering. I have prepared the ACS documents, and need to start preparing RPL document. So i was in a dilemma, whether to apply for assessment now or to apply for assessment after preparing RPL document.

My understanding is that i need to prepare RPL document for two project( one worked in past three year and other for a project worked in past five year). Kindly confirm whether my understanding is correct and should i need to include the details of two project in single document or i need to prepare two word document detailing two project.
There is no such thing as 2 different ACS and RPL processes. RPL is just an application type that you submit to the same assessing body- the ACS. The difference between RPL type and the normal type is RPL requires some more documents for the assessment (the project reports as you said).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All,

A mate of mine has completed B.E (Civil Engineering) but has been working in the IT sector (Programmer Analyst) for over 9+ years now.

Question: Who should be the assessor? is it ACS (or) RPL route (or) EA? Your response at the earliest is highly appreciated as he is planning to take his assessment ASAP.
Hey, did your friend took RPL finally? I am having a similar situation. I have BTech in CIVIL + MBA in systems. Working as Business analyst for the past 10 years. Confused whether I should take RPL route or not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi everyone,

After going through the replies in this thread, I am still unclear of how should i proceed.
I am a civil engineer (from an NIT in India). I have 13 years of experience in IT as an application developer. I am planning to apply for 2613(software engineer code).

1. Can i even get a positive assessment from ACS?
2. If yes, how many years usually ACS deducts for civil engineers. (I am aiming for 15 points in PR through my experience)
3. Would RPL route make any difference in the number of skilled years that i would get from ACS.
4. Also, whether i go RPL route or normal route, will my B.Tech degree also be assessed? (i.e. will i get 15 points for graduation through ACS).

Your quick suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Hi everyone,

After going through the replies in this thread, I am still unclear of how should i proceed.
I am a civil engineer (from an NIT in India). I have 13 years of experience in IT as an application developer. I am planning to apply for 2613(software engineer code).

1. Can i even get a positive assessment from ACS?
2. If yes, how many years usually ACS deducts for civil engineers. (I am aiming for 15 points in PR through my experience)
3. Would RPL route make any difference in the number of skilled years that i would get from ACS.
4. Also, whether i go RPL route or normal route, will my B.Tech degree also be assessed? (i.e. will i get 15 points for graduation through ACS).

Your quick suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Hi Sonam,

Recognition of Prior Learning – (RPL) - The RPL application is for applicants with qualifications with no or insufficient ICT, or applicants having no tertiary qualifications. 6 years of full time professional ICT work experience in a field closely related to the nominated ANZSCO Code is required if you hold a Non ICT or sufficient ICT qualification and 8 years if you do not have any qualifications.

Have a look at this: https://www.acs.org.au/content/dam/...t Guidelines for Applicants V5-6 Aug 2018.pdf

Check for "Application Types" in Page 6 for RPL.

Reactions: sonam.jain
1 - 20 of 21 Posts