Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to apply for positions in Dubai similar to my work in England I am currently PM on an Electrical and Mechanical installation of a 300kw Hydrogen Fuel Cell on the Walkie Talkie skyscraper (20 Fenchurch Street) next to the Gherkin in London, however all the Asian agencies do not see my applications as viable because I lack a degree, I am 48 years old and have 30 city and guilds, 25 years experience, project management credentials, health and safety managerial (IOSH) courses, gas, electrical and maintenance qualifications and 15 years in building management, yet I cannot even get my CV seen by any companies advertising.
Has anyone any idea`s or ways for me to avoid the agencies and get my application at least seen by these companies ?
Thank you
Paul

·
Registered
831 Posts
Exocet said:
I am trying to apply for positions in Dubai similar to my work in England I am currently PM on an Electrical and Mechanical installation of a 300kw Hydrogen Fuel Cell on the Walkie Talkie skyscraper (20 Fenchurch Street) next to the Gherkin in London, however all the Asian agencies do not see my applications as viable because I lack a degree, I am 48 years old and have 30 city and guilds, 25 years experience, project management credentials, health and safety managerial (IOSH) courses, gas, electrical and maintenance qualifications and 15 years in building management, yet I cannot even get my CV seen by any companies advertising. Has anyone any idea`s or ways for me to avoid the agencies and get my application at least seen by these companies ? Thank you Paul

Try the branches of UK agencies? Hays for example and also a number of UK agencies place people here. You could also try Balfour Beatty etc

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
I am trying to apply for positions in Dubai similar to my work in England I am currently PM on an Electrical and Mechanical installation of a 300kw Hydrogen Fuel Cell on the Walkie Talkie skyscraper (20 Fenchurch Street) next to the Gherkin in London, however all the Asian agencies do not see my applications as viable because I lack a degree, I am 48 years old and have 30 city and guilds, 25 years experience, project management credentials, health and safety managerial (IOSH) courses, gas, electrical and maintenance qualifications and 15 years in building management, yet I cannot even get my CV seen by any companies advertising.
Has anyone any idea`s or ways for me to avoid the agencies and get my application at least seen by these companies ?
Thank you
Paul
Hi,
Quite tricky really - you are probably best doing some research and applying direct to companies who are advertising for your skillset or who you are interested to work for.
Dont let the lack of a degree put you off working here, as many good companies are interested in real world experience over fancy theoretical letters after a name (from candidates who then dont have real work experience).
In my opinion, the Indian agencies are looking for such high qualifications - as there are so many applicants (you probably need an MBA to work in McDonalds according to their criteria!!).
Best of luck!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try the branches of UK agencies? Hays for example and also a number of UK agencies place people here. You could also try Balfour Beatty etc
I have my CV in to most uk agencies with UAE posts but these seem to get companies that could not find labour through normal routes, I was just fishing for any ways that were maybe under the agencies radar, the words of people on the ground are often more intuitive than any other and experience counts for alot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
Quite tricky really - you are probably best doing some research and applying direct to companies who are advertising for your skillset or who you are interested to work for.
Dont let the lack of a degree put you off working here, as many good companies are interested in real world experience over fancy theoretical letters after a name (from candidates who then dont have real work experience).
In my opinion, the Indian agencies are looking for such high qualifications - as there are so many applicants (you probably need an MBA to work in McDonalds according to their criteria!!).
Best of luck!
Cheers
Steve
Thank`s for your reply I have worked all over Spain, Germany, Sweden and in every instance the expats have been invaluable, I have researched the life in Dubai and my friend is working at the Princess tower in the marina so I have a good insight already !! however you can never know too many people in my situation and although I have friends looking out for positions for me they may not hear of the one I will eventually get !!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Thank`s for your reply I have worked all over Spain, Germany, Sweden and in every instance the expats have been invaluable, I have researched the life in Dubai and my friend is working at the Princess tower in the marina so I have a good insight already !! however you can never know too many people in my situation and although I have friends looking out for positions for me they may not hear of the one I will eventually get !!
Dont know how your fixed financially but have you considered setting your own business up here? For electrical installations on some of our Fire Fighting kit we send over our UK contractor to oversee the work purely because there are far to many dodgy 'qualified electricians' here. Good luck and keep being persistent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts