Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

We are looking at moving to Spain later this year. I work from home so will be sending an invoice to UK company for work done in Spain. I understand I have to pay social security ( approx 260 euro per month) but does this cover me & my husband for Spanish medical, my husband will be on a private pension?
Also do I have to charge IVA on my invoices or not if its to a UK VAT registered company ?
It's all very confusing tax etc. Can I claim part expenses for use of my home & electric etc? Any advice & tips please ?
Thanks Jayne

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
Guess know ones knows the answer then!!
:welcome:
lol - I'm surprised no-one answered - these questions have been answered lots of times before, almost on a daily basis! :)

yes if you're registered as autónomo, both of you will me covered for healthcare

when I invoice a UK company I do have to show IVA - though I'm not sure what happens after that - my gestor deals with it all

atm I don't think you can claim electricity etc - but I did read recently (something my gestor put on FB) that this is changing soon

the good news for you is that there's a 'low start' scheme atm, which means you pay reduced SS for 18 months - TARIFA PLANA

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
When did that scheme come into effect, xabiachica? I had no idea about it!
Oct 2013

only for those who have either never been registered as autónomo, or not in the previous 5 years though - so way too late for me :(

·
Registered
138 Posts
Oct 2013

only for those who have either never been registered as autónomo, or not in the previous 5 years though - so way too late for me :(
I do wish I'd known it was coming in...the main reason I left Valencia after my Spanish course and didn't attempt a freelance career there was that I couldn't afford the autonomo fees. :( And I was only 27 back then as well, so would have got 30 months of reduced contributions! Grrr!

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
I do wish I'd known it was coming in...the main reason I left Valencia after my Spanish course and didn't attempt a freelance career there was that I couldn't afford the autonomo fees. :( And I was only 27 back then as well, so would have got 30 months of reduced contributions! Grrr!
what a shame!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I've been in touch with a Gestor so hoping they will sort out for me. I'm new to site, and hopefully moving to the Manilva area Dec. Think I have got to grips with taxes & social security a bit now. Thanks :)

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
Yes, it is, but at least it's an option for the future! I assume that if the business or self employment fails, you can just stop the contributions at any time?
yes it is - & yes you can just stop working & stop paying the contributions
Don't forget to officially 'baja' or sign off though
if you start work again, within 5 years, you'll start at the full rate

1 - 10 of 10 Posts