Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to do free-lance consulting and live in France for 2-5 years.
I do not a year's worth of expenses in my bank account as I am just about to graduate from an MBA program. I'm also not sure about what my insurance status will be- I'm technically covered in America but I would prefer to avoid being a salaried, payrooll employee at the moment.
I hope that my HT revenues will exceed 32500e if not in my first year, then in future years, which seems to be the cut off point for a micro entreprise.
I plan on getting most of my work from one company. Would I be better served to be on the payroll of that firm and set up a "filliale" or something in France? I doubt they would want to go through the rigamorole of paying French taxes, etc.
Is there any way I can stay in France as an autoentrepreneur if I make an LLC in the US for my freelance business? I suppose that would just make taxes and all that much more complicated?
I also have experience teaching English and was hoping to do some advanced Busines English lessons on the side- should I write up a business plan for that and just get paid in the US for my freelance jobs?

I have considered enrolling as a student somewhere but I think that could get tricky and it's past the deadlines for most programs except overpriced FLE programs at the Sorbonne.
I speak French well (French people are so exigeante that I hesitate to claim any more than that, mais je peux me debrouiller pas mal )

merci par avance!

·
Administrator
49,446 Posts
There isn't really an "auto-entrepreneur" visa as such. Most consulates advise a "visitor" visa (with the proof of resources and insurance coverage for your first year) and then registering as an auto-entrepreneur on arrival. With the renewal of your titre de séjour you may be able to change status.

There is also the competences et talents visa - though with that, you need to write up your project as something that will benefit France or the relationship between your home country and France.

Setting up an LLC for your freelance work in the US doesn't really get you much. To freelance in France, you still need to set up some form of business entity - and if you're going to be exceeding the AE threshold from the get-go, don't forget that you'll have to charge your customer VAT (at 19.6%) on all the services you provide - and pay French cotisations yourself. If you are resident in France while doing the work, you are considered to be "working in France" no matter where you are paid.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I came on the visitor visa, how long could I actually stay? Would I be able to work while I was there legally?
I'm thinking the competences et talents one would be the best if I could get it. I also assume I'd be going back and forth to the US frequently.
I want to be able to be in the country legally. In the past as an English teaching assistant I've needed my visa for many many reasons- to get a phone plan, for example. I'm concerned I'd have trouble renting an apartment, etc.

Thank you for your amazingly fast and helpful reply!

·
Administrator
49,446 Posts
If you're in France on a visitor visa then, no, you can't legally work while in France. A visitor visa is normally issued for a year - so you need the health insurance and resources to support yourself for a full year - and then you change your status on renewal of your titre de séjour at the end of your first year.

Competences et talents sounds more like what you need. You just need to write up your project and to make it relevant to France (bringing a new skill or technology to France, something like that).
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.