Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just got hired by a company in the U.S., so I will be working in France via Internet. From what I gather I will be basically a consultant and send the company a bill every month for my services. They won't take taxes or anything.

I got set up as an Auto-Entrepreneur here in France, but I really have no idea what I'm doing, how much I will have to put aside for SS, taxes ect.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Administrator
50,056 Posts
If you're already set up as an auto entrepreneur, then you should set up your account on the AE website: Portail Officiel des Auto-Entrepreneurs

Under the 3 steps for getting set up, check out step 2: Vous avez enregistré votre activité d'autoentrepreneur - the link there will take you to where you set up your online declaration and payment account. Then click the link on step 3 to actually declare and pay.

You have the option to declare and pay monthly or quarterly. There is a flat rate for "cotisations" based on the type of business you are doing (basically, a service business or one that involves reselling of merchandise). You have the option to make payments toward your income taxes ("option fiscal") when you make your social payments. You declare your gross revenue (i.e. no deductions for expenses) on the tax declaration form for BIC and your income tax is assessed as a flat rate, along with any other income you declare on your forms.

The following pamphlet, available on the autoentrepreneur portal page might help you understand the system: http://www.lautoentrepreneur.fr/images/1829-PtSur-AutoEntrepr.pdf
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Bev for your help on this. I'll be doing service, so, if I understand correctly, I pay about 20%? That seems awfully low though. I've heard of charges and other things, but I didn't find it on the website. It doesn't help that my level of French is somewhat intermediate.

·
Administrator
50,056 Posts
Thank you Bev for your help on this. I'll be doing service, so, if I understand correctly, I pay about 20%? That seems awfully low though. I've heard of charges and other things, but I didn't find it on the website. It doesn't help that my level of French is somewhat intermediate.
More like 23%, if you include the fiscal option. But that's 23% of your gross revenue (NOT your net income) - you get NO allowance for expenses of any sort. The rate you pay includes various assumptions about what expenses are involved in a service business.

IIRC you're here in France on a spouse visa. You need to get your French spouse involved in helping you understand some of the printed material. Or, you need to take some time to get your French up to speed.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More like 23%, if you include the fiscal option. But that's 23% of your gross revenue (NOT your net income) - you get NO allowance for expenses of any sort. The rate you pay includes various assumptions about what expenses are involved in a service business.

IIRC you're here in France on a spouse visa. You need to get your French spouse involved in helping you understand some of the printed material. Or, you need to take some time to get your French up to speed.
Cheers,
Bev

I'll be on the safe side and just put aside 30% or so to pay for that then. As far as my French goes, I just finished my DILF exam which was pretty easy. I still have over 100 hours remaining to go to the classes, but they were cancelled because they don't have enough people. It was somewhat a joke anyway. I spend a lot of time reading in French and practicing with Fluenz French and other various programs too. It's tough now that I'm working 40 hours a week on a computer. I have no desire to use a computer the rest of the day.

Again, thanks for your help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.