Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am trying to register as an auto-entrepreneur in Paris. I've worked as an English teacher around the world for years, and I've been told that this system is relatively easy to use and can be more profitable to those who have no trouble finding work. My husband is French, and I have a visa that authorizes me to live and work in France. However, when I try to register on the AE website, they request information about my "titre de sejour" such as the number, where it was issued, etc.

For those who don't know, spouses of French citizens are no longer required to obtain a carte de sejour. We have to register with the OFII (which I've started and can take months) but according to the consulate, our visas now function as residence permits -- and of course, when I enter the information from my visa in lieu of the would-be information from a carte de sejour, the system does not accept it... I am required to give a city and department number of issue, and my visa was obviously issued outside France. My question is: how can I register on this website without having a titre de sejour, since I am supposed to be fully legal without one?

Has anybody else run into this problem? Is there a solution? I'm pulling my hair out.

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
Your visa is not your titre de séjour - it's the "etiquette" (sticker) that you get in your passport to validate your visa once you have gone through the OFII stuff.

Not sure how long you have been in France, but have you done your OFII visit yet? If so, they should have somehow validated your visa, and that's the document that will serve as a "titre de séjour" for your first year in France.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi there

Welcome to France!!!

I'm also dealing with the AE system right now for my husband that was registered on the website but that I can unregistered because it happens that he was never logged anywhere. I'm also going crazy!!
So I advise 2 things either phone the 0800 numbers for the auto entrepreneur website and ask them the question. Or phone the URSSAFF to ask them which CFE (Centre de Formalite des Entreprises) will be competente for you and where you can get the document to register. If you're not confident enough in French ask a little bit of help from your husband.

I remember when we got my husband over from the UK, 9 years ago we where going round in circle: he needed to register at the job center to get a carte de sejour, but he first needed to learn french to look for work and to register at the Alliance Francaise to learn French he needed a carte de sejour... We got lucky after 2 months of him being in France, they stopped issuing carte de sejour for EU members.

Everything take very long in France and you have to be persistant and low profile when dealing with administration (espacially if you're a woman dealing with women!)

If you want to laugh about the subjet I suggest you read "a Year in the merde" by Stephen Clarke, it will give you a good understanding of what to expect in France and his writing is pretty additive. I'm a french citizen and I laugh my head off!

Cheers and good luck.

Pauline

·
Registered
974 Posts
For your first year in France your residency permit is the "titre de sejour" that you will get, as Bev said, once you've finished the OFII process. Before the end of your first year in France you must apply for a carte de sejour ! It's only for the first year you are exempt but every year after that you must apply for a carte de sejour.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi All,
I finally got my "Recepisse de demande de carte de sejour" on the 01.02.12 as I am PACs and now this expires on the 20.04.2012. I was told i will get a more valid one before the 20th. So im off again to the prefecture next week. I had to get a visitors visa and live in france for one year before getting any carte de sejour in a PACs situation.

I would like to share with those about dealing with the prefecture. It is better to go on a wednesday, or find out with the translator which day your prefecture is better with dealing with "non emigrants". The translator was most helpful, as when it was time to register, the translator helped, as the person dealing with the carte sejour got all snotty and said we needed proof from Paris, even tho my Pacs partner was present. So off i went to the translator who went to the boss, and kindly gave me the Recepisse de demande de carte de sejour.

So besides trying to the new carte sejour, i have in the meantime registered for an Auto-Entrepreneur on the internet which i believe is quicker. This was done a week ago. Does anyone know how long it takes????????????

OFII process takes about 3 months - for the medical. So get your papers in, the day of your medical is the day your visa is validated. Dont forget to pay on line and bring that proof of payment.

Recepisse de demande de carte de sejour" has the number needed for the Auto registration.
English language schools like the Auto system and definetly the right track.

Also for courses at Alliance, you need to register at Pole Emploi and take that paper to the Alliance with passport and docs. Note that you have to update the Pole emploi website every month or the system kicks you off.

Ive been in Marseille for almost a year, and a tip of advice, which i did get from this very useful forum is to try speak french- i was throwing odd english words in, and at some point they will reply in english. A good smile, and low key also helps, and try get some general chit chat in with the french, like: where did you learn english? have you travelled? it gets personal, and then they not so arrogant. HAHAHA

Im busy reading a book called sixty million frenchmen cant be wrong" ISBN 1-86105-715 which was given by a german friend of mine here in Marseille, if you looking for more good laughs on the Ice age mentality.

One last point, have you registered for the Mutualle yet? the medical system? they ask for the OFII validation as well.

Good luck, and look forward to feed back or any advice on the Auto registration.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I registered as an auto-entrepreneur pretty soon after the status was created, and it only took me about a week to get my SIRET number. Not sure if it's still this fast, but it was surprisingly quick and painless for me.

I got another tip about the prefecture that worked for me in Toulouse - ours closes at 3 and someone advised me to go at 2, and they were right. My thought had always been to go early in the morning, but everyone does that and so there is a long line. At 2 the morning crowd has thinned out and the employees seem to want to move faster so they can get home on time. But don't go too long after 2 because at some point they take the number distributor away....

·
Registered
43 Posts
thanks hopefully by next week i will get my siret number! i have employment, but need this nr for my contract :(
funny you say that about 2 o clock. i used to do that in south africa - forgot about that - to go an hour before close time because they have to helpand you in their builiding...lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your visa is not your titre de séjour - it's the "etiquette" (sticker) that you get in your passport to validate your visa once you have gone through the OFII stuff.

Not sure how long you have been in France, but have you done your OFII visit yet? If so, they should have somehow validated your visa, and that's the document that will serve as a "titre de séjour" for your first year in France.
Cheers,
Bev
Thank you, that's really helpful. I just wanted to confirm that I understand -- do they give me a completely new document to serve as a titre de sejour when I have my OFII visit, then, or some sort of new number on my visa? I was under the impression that all I would be getting was some kind of simple stamp... that's how it's been every time I registered in other countries. In that case, I would still be stuck with just a visa number, not a completely new number, which seems to be what the system is asking for. If it's a little more complicated than that, then I guess I will have to wait.

Also, this leads me to wonder if I'm allowed to work before my OFII visit. Everywhere I read, it says I can, but now I am beginning to worry.

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
Thank you, that's really helpful. I just wanted to confirm that I understand -- do they give me a completely new document to serve as a titre de sejour when I have my OFII visit, then, or some sort of new number on my visa? I was under the impression that all I would be getting was some kind of simple stamp... that's how it's been every time I registered in other countries. In that case, I would still be stuck with just a visa number, not a completely new number, which seems to be what the system is asking for. If it's a little more complicated than that, then I guess I will have to wait.

Also, this leads me to wonder if I'm allowed to work before my OFII visit. Everywhere I read, it says I can, but now I am beginning to worry.
What you get is a "stamp" in your passport - in the form of a sticker, which should have some sort of number on it. (But someone here who has recently gone through the OFII process will have to verify this for us.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can verify that the stamp is a type of sticker. This sticker is used for everything! Prefecture visits and mutuelle registration!
What you get is a "stamp" in your passport - in the form of a sticker, which should have some sort of number on it. (But someone here who has recently gone through the OFII process will have to verify this for us.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
348 Posts
registering as AE in person

So besides trying to the new carte sejour, i have in the meantime registered for an Auto-Entrepreneur on the internet which i believe is quicker. This was done a week ago. Does anyone know how long it takes????????????
==============

Not through the web.

But to give everyone a tip: I have two friends who went to the AE office in person (URSSAF? I don't know -- the place where they register people) and the person there will register you in the computer system and give you your AE numbers on the spot. Then you should wait for the official confirmation which takes about a week. So the web is not the only way you can register.

And the URSSAF guy told my friend, if very badly needed, they could start billing that week with their new AE number, but it would be best to wait for the official confirmation, which arrived by mail some time later.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi All,

I went off to URSAFFs office to find out whats going with my Siret number. The guy their validated my internet application (which seemed to be hanging, and needed human intervention). Now I must wait 8 days for INSEE to issue the Siret number.
Some useful info for the process :) Have a good weekend. I hope the siret number comes quickly in the post!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.