Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, along with my wife and brand new baby, are looking to spend 6-12 months in Italy, starting in January or February of next year. I am looking for some advice on which town to choose. Here are my criteria:

1. Small-to-medium-sized town (up to, say 100-200,000 people), but within a few hours drive of a city/town with city-like facilities (hospital, airport, etc.)

2. "Authentic" Italian - by this I mean a town that is old, historical, traditional, quaint, etc., with old men arguing in the piazza, charming trattorias, narrow cobblestoned streets where people hang their laundry from one apartment window to the one across the way, maybe a farmers' market - basically the romantic vision of Italy from the movies.

3. I would prefer somewhere in the South, because of the winter climate and because I have heard that things are cheaper down there. Somewhere near the coast would be nice too, if I'm not being too fussy.

Basically, I am looking for a genuine Italian experience in a town/village that is really nice to walk around and not too expensive or touristy.

(Jobs are not an issue as I can work from anywhere.)

So, can anyone suggest some towns/villages that might fit the bill? Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
156 Posts
try atri in abruzzo near the coast with lovely views a market once a week and a jazz festival in the summer. hope baby isn't keeping you awake all night!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Atri seems really nice! Thank you for the suggestion. The abbruzzo region looks like it ticks quite a few of our boxes. What is Sulmona like?

·
Registered
11 Posts
try to have a look at the Sicilia region... the weather is much better and it;s full of small and traditional cities

·
Registered
57 Posts
Jambo34 said:
Atri seems really nice! Thank you for the suggestion. The abbruzzo region looks like it ticks quite a few of our boxes. What is Sulmona like?
Sulmona is a very nice small town mainly local people not much tourist

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ Ata, can you suggest any towns in particular. I'm not opposed to the idea of Sicily but it does seem a long way from everything else!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ rpizzica, if you were me, which town would you choose, based on the criteria I mentioned in my original post?

·
Registered
11 Posts
dear friend, i am sorry but I have no idea which city can really match your desires, anyway you don't have to spend 10 days over there, you are talking to live in a place for 6/12 months and I think it will be a good idea if you find one week to go and visit four or five cities as tourist and get an idea on the place...:)
Note: In Italy, especially in the cities that are not touristic, the people don't speak english, so make sure you speak little italian or make sure about the place where you go is touristic, don't choose villages or very small city, otherwise I can assure you that nobody can talk to you.:eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is a good point, and my lack of Italian would probably make it difficult to negotiate/discuss the terms when renting a place. How do expats usually get around this? Even if I did speak a bit of Italian, I could still get stung by the fine print on a lease or I might misunderstand the word for "fortnightly payment" or whatever. Presumably this is a problem in many countries, not just Italy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
yes...but i know how we are...so, if you decide to move in a city where there is no embassy, make sure you will find the official tourist office, so when you need to sign something, just take your time to go there to translate...
NOTE: in the south of Italy, no one will ask you to sign an official contract, don't worry, anyway this is my personal email:
if you need something as a free translation or any other advice or need, get in contact with me. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
welcome...:)
Anyway I am sure you already had a look at Amalfi coast, before go looking for small and traditional city around Italy, if by mistake you didn't, you will die when you see all these small villages on the coast (you see on google maps the Amalfi coast that starts from Positano to Maiori, it's just in front of Capri island (20 minutes by boat)... it's full of nice people, it's one of the most touristic place and everybody is speaking english and others languages, in the most of the roads of these cities the cars are not allowed...it's really a nice place...you can also reach Salerno in few minutes, it's a very big and nice city, and you are close to Sorrento, Naples, Pompei, Ravello etc...etc... :);) sorry for the late advice but i don't like to talk about this place because it makes me soffer...:( it's too nice and i would live and die over there :rolleyes: byyyye

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would love to liv eon the Amalfi Coast but I have heard it is really expensive. Would it be possible to get a modest apartment there during the winter for around 700 euros a month?

·
Registered
11 Posts
in the winter you can find... it's low season, but i don't know if you like a place that in the winter is very very very quiet... anyway your choise is little difficult... and I think you can find some other place that's alive in winter also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cilento is beautiful, authentic and unspoilt. There are several small villages along the coast... a little more south of Amalfi you will find many hidden treasures. The lack of English speaking locals can be an issue but as you have a baby you will be sure to make friends as the Italians are so child friendly!

I agree with the previous post - try and come over for a week and visit several places first. The winters are said to be milder in the south but remember some of the houses here aren't really adapted for the cold weather (stone floors/no central heating etc). Last winter was really cold!

The language is difficult when dealing with the official side of things, but with a good dictionary, google translate and maybe a friend on the ground here you will manage. We scanned many docs and emailed them to an Italian friend in Puglia for translation. Didn't cost a thing! I think the most important thing for us was a sense of humour and patience when dealing with official things... they are done so different here!!

What a fantastic experience though... I wish you much luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm italian and I stayed in Sulmona for work for a week.
If you like mountains and you're not afraid about the winter and the snow, I can assure it's a really nice present.
I personally live in the Marche county and also here there are beautiful cities.
I would like to suggest another city, Gubbio. It's in Umbria county (it's really near me), and it's a very nice place. Of course you could find many information about this city on internet, just google it!

good luck and have a pleasant stay!

Sandro

·
Registered
4 Posts
long term rental south

John here,
Noted your post .I may be of interest to you in you search as I have some ideas.Not sure if I can give my tel nr but here goes 00353872525628 from dublin.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You might like San Giovanni a Piro, near Sapri. It is the most beautiful spot in the world. Very authentic people and architecture like you want, smallish but with plenty of stores and restaurants.
The natural beauty is absolutely breathtaking, lovely deciduous trees, winding roads and a view of the sea from every house and street. Really you cant go wrong by going there. There is a hotel in San Giovanni and some bed and breakfasts near by in the countryside where you could stay until you find a proper rental.

Have a great year!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Jambo, my sister and I bought a house in a small village Serra d'Aiello, just up the mountain from Campora San Giovanni on the west coast of Calabria. I have spent a lot of time researching and travelling around this area and I can tell you it is beautiful!

The largest cities are Cosenza, Catanzaro and Reggio. Lamezia airport is 30 minutes and the highway is 15 minutes so it makes a great location to see the area on day trips or even overnight excursions. I would look around here for a home base. Are you renting a house? I have some contacts if you are interested in this neighbourhood. Our house might be habitable by then but it isn't fancy. You can see a photo or two of the area on our blog (thesistersmaketheirmove). We plan to move over there in a couple of years to live the dream...
Get in touch if you would like more info.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts