Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My Husband & I are wanting to move to the States to live. We are in the process of trying to move over. We are finding it very hard in deed. We are in the next green card lotto but that is a 1 in 50 000. We also have family that live over there but are not immidate family (Aunty & Cousins).

Can anyone lead me in the right direction to be able to move over.

Thanks
Aleyse

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Welcome!

Go to this thread and look at the questions. If you answer yes to any of them, give details here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Fatbrit.
We did answer yes to a few questions. Which are:

*Are you interested in menial seasonal work? Yes
*Do you have at least $200,000 in cash and an entrepreneurial spirit? Yes
*Are you an Australian citizen? Yes
*Were you or your parents born in any country other than Brazil, Canada, China (mainland-born), Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Poland, South Korea, United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, or Vietnam? Yes
Thanks

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Thanks for that Fatbrit.
We did answer yes to a few questions. Which are:

*Are you interested in menial seasonal work? Yes
*Do you have at least $200,000 in cash and an entrepreneurial spirit? Yes
*Are you an Australian citizen? Yes
*Were you or your parents born in any country other than Brazil, Canada, China (mainland-born), Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Poland, South Korea, United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, or Vietnam? Yes
Thanks
H2b visa is for non-agricultural workers -- hotel staff and tourist industry are a common employer. Use Google, but avoid scam agencies with a fee up front. This visa is short-term and there's no opportunity to convert to anything permanent. There's also the H2a agricultural variant......but this is for the very hardy only.

Look at the E2 visa whereby you buy/start and run a business in the US. You can stay as long as the business keeps running and employing others. A Google of E2 visa and FAQ brings up a lot of articles. I'm not a great fan as I've read many misery stories with this one, but if you have no children and an entrepreneurial spirit, it's worth considering.

Enter the DV lottery at Electronic Diversity Visa Lottery. You can both put applications in to double your chances, and this gives you a green card should you enter, be drawn, and get the visa. In fact, it's the best and easiest visa money can't buy!

Those are you current options that I know of. Shout if you need more help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
????????

Hi,

My Husband & I are wanting to move to the States to live. We are in the process of trying to move over. We are finding it very hard in deed. We are in the next green card lotto but that is a 1 in 50 000. We also have family that live over there but are not immidate family (Aunty & Cousins).

Thanks
Aleyse
Are you serious? You actually want to live there? WHY??

JRR

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for all your help Fatbrit.
Not a Brit, definitely not fat. I've lived there, in the 90s during the drive by shootings in Washington when I had a new baby. Have comtemplated the leaders of the free world, have found them seriously wanting, you done the same?

JRR

G

·
Not a Brit, definitely not fat. I've lived there, in the 90s during the drive by shootings in Washington when I had a new baby. Have comtemplated the leaders of the free world, have found them seriously wanting, you done the same?

JRR
That's a bit like condemning all of Britain based on 'contemplation's done on a single drunken loudmouth you met down at the local pub though, innit.

And that's grossly understating things.

But regardless, here's to finding a place to love and not hate, eh JRRT? :rolleyes:

And here's to hoping Aleyse and her hubby can get that same chance in the US. :usa2:

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's a bit like condemning all of Britain based on 'contemplation's done on a single drunken loudmouth you met down at the local pub though, innit.

And that's grossly understating things.

But regardless, here's to finding a place to love and not hate, eh JRRT? :rolleyes:

And here's to hoping Aleyse and her hubby can get that same chance in the US. :usa2:

i agree!

:usa2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Thanks
Aleyse
Hi Aleyse

I'm wondering how your plans to move to the USA are going.
My partner and i are thinking about a move to USA, But every visa i have looked at, we can't apply under, our only option seems to be the E2 visa.
Hope everthink worked out for your family
debbie

·
Registered
346 Posts
You are probably assuming you'll get similar benefits as Australian Medicare , Centrelink and other fancy rebates? Nope not really. US Medicare covers nothing, not even the GP. Forget free hospitals, medication, PBS and bulk billed doctors. There is no Centrelink , FICA is not enough for nothing. And list goes on....
Got too used to Max $32 out of pocket medication? Wait till you get to the US. Oh hoping to get Private health insurance rebate from Federal Government? Nope not in US, only in Australia.
Dreaming of getting tax deductions for your computer and Internet ? The fed will kick your backside, not allowed in the US.
Of cause you want your family or education rebate, nah again not in the US.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
You are probably assuming you'll get similar benefits as Australian Medicare , Centrelink and other fancy rebates? Nope not really. US Medicare covers nothing, not even the GP. Forget free hospitals, medication, PBS and bulk billed doctors. There is no Centrelink , FICA is not enough for nothing. And list goes on....
Got too used to Max $32 out of pocket medication? Wait till you get to the US. Oh hoping to get Private health insurance rebate from Federal Government? Nope not in US, only in Australia.
Dreaming of getting tax deductions for your computer and Internet ? The fed will kick your backside, not allowed in the US.
Of cause you want your family or education rebate, nah again not in the US.
fortunately you are misinformed about healthcare and insurance in the us.

·
Registered
346 Posts
twostep said:
fortunately you are misinformed about healthcare and insurance in the us.
Thanks two step. I guess I didnt fully understand it while I was in the US. Please enlighten me! What the free medical services will I receive if I don't have health cover? (charities excluded)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks two step. I guess I didnt fully understand it while I was in the US. Please enlighten me! What the free medical services will I receive if I don't have health cover? (charities excluded)
There is no such thing as free medical care in the US. There are a few places that will see children I believe however otherwise nothing.
Its been a huge shock as an Australian living here as to how much better our health system in Australia is.
I would hate to be sick or elderly here without health insurance :( :(

·
Registered
346 Posts
That what I was saying :D. However it seems some people as twostep love putting forward claims that are absolutely untrue

·
Registered
109 Posts
well it most certainly does not exist here in NYC.

I am still amazed that you have to give insurance details,id etc before anyone is willing to take an appointment.
Also have never seen so many people sick with preventable diseases like diabetes etc. You just dont see that in Australia.
On the other hand I am very impress my the attention and service you do get when you are fully covered.That is far superior to what we receive in Australia in my opinion.That also could be a NY thing?? Lucky for us we do have very good insurance provided my my husbands company.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OMG I can not beleive it is nearly 2 years since I posted my first post about wanting to move to the States. Well our dream has come true and we are moving over in December.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Aleyse

I'm wondering how your plans to move to the USA are going.
My partner and i are thinking about a move to USA, But every visa i have looked at, we can't apply under, our only option seems to be the E2 visa.
Hope everthink worked out for your family
debbie
Hi Debsean,

I am very sorry I did not get back to you. Well everything went fine. We have got our visa's and are moving over in December. Let me tell you it has been a long haul, but well worth it.
We won the green card lottery. That is how we are moving over. Take care and follow your dreams. :D

1 - 20 of 52 Posts