Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After an year of vexed job search in Australia, I am seeing NZ has better opportunities in my field (Mechanical design engineer). I need some experienced people who moved or inquired to move to NZ to shed their thoughts for the benefit of me and all. I have gathered following info:
* Australian PRs have complete work permits in NZ. Australian PRs become NZ residents.
* We will have to pay for GP visits (better to get health insurance). We will not have the benefit of Medicare
* Child schooling is free. Day cares are cheaper ($35/day). So not to worry for Family Tax Benefit.
* Cost of living is in par with Aus (heard NZ is cheaper but I will give a benefit of doubt).

I am looking for:
* Is NZ manufacturing market really doing great as compared to Aus? Looking from Aus it appears so.
* Considering I get a job of $75K in NZ, should that be considered equivalent to that of Aus.
* Are there any other additional costs I should consider.

Hope there are some people who have travelled this journey. Please shed some light.

Thanks in advance.

Sanjeev

·
Registered
960 Posts
I am not sure if you are planning for NZ PR or opt to work in NZ with Au PR. The catch is once you enter NZ with an AU PR you're given a resident visa on arrival but the moment you step out of NZ even for a day, the visa stands cancelled. You'll then have to apply for a permanent resident visa.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As per what Rameshkd said, if you move to NZ and work here you'd better apply NZ PR which I believe will be easier considering you are AU PR holder.

I'm in process applying AU PR, but also interested/not mind in life in NZ. Wait for other comments from people who have experience.

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
I am not sure if you are planning for NZ PR or opt to work in NZ with Au PR. The catch is once you enter NZ with an AU PR you're given a resident visa on arrival but the moment you step out of NZ even for a day, the visa stands cancelled. You'll then have to apply for a permanent resident visa.
This is not entirely accurate. As an Australian PR, you are eligible for a NZ resident visa upon arrival in New Zealand. This allows you to live, work and/or study in NZ - and it is the same visa granted to Australian citizens upon arrival. It is NOT however a permanent resident visa. This means that if you leave the country, even to go to Australia or your home country on holiday, the visa is automatically cancelled. When you return to NZ, another resident visa is then granted.

The issue is that your ability to obtain NZ resident visas is based solely on your Australian permanent resident visa which, as you know, is only valid for five years. Once the visa expires, you will no longer be able to qualify for NZ resident visas and since you won't have spent any time in Australia, you won't qualify for an Australian RRV either.

This is why if you decide to move to NZ on an Australian PR visa, you need to apply for NZ PR as soon as possible. The issue there is that you need to have resided in NZ on a resident visa for at least two continuous years to qualify. This means that you can't even leave NZ to go on holiday for a full two years as your resident visa would be cancelled upon your departure and the clock would start again at zero when you return to NZ.

It's better to move to Australia, become an Australian citizen and then attempt to move to NZ - fewer hassles that way.

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
After an year of vexed job search in Australia, I am seeing NZ has better opportunities in my field (Mechanical design engineer). I need some experienced people who moved or inquired to move to NZ to shed their thoughts for the benefit of me and all. I have gathered following info:
* Australian PRs have complete work permits in NZ. Australian PRs become NZ residents.
* We will have to pay for GP visits (better to get health insurance). We will not have the benefit of Medicare
* Child schooling is free. Day cares are cheaper ($35/day). So not to worry for Family Tax Benefit.
* Cost of living is in par with Aus (heard NZ is cheaper but I will give a benefit of doubt).

I am looking for:
* Is NZ manufacturing market really doing great as compared to Aus? Looking from Aus it appears so.
* Considering I get a job of $75K in NZ, should that be considered equivalent to that of Aus.
* Are there any other additional costs I should consider.

Hope there are some people who have travelled this journey. Please shed some light.

Thanks in advance.

Sanjeev
It's true that NZ tends to be a bit cheaper than Australia in terms of consumer goods etc. (although with the NZ $ now basically at par with the Aussie $, I'd say that's less true now), but wages tend to be quite a bit lower than in Australia so it doesn't benefit you much. In some cases you may find that you're less well off there than you would be in Australia in a similar job. This is why a lot of New Zealanders move to Australia. (You don't see the same number of Aussies moving to NZ.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts